X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
    Can you do that with any other console?
    I haven't got a clue.

If you can, I'd bet that Sony and MS probably haven't made a mess of it and half-baked it the way Nintendo have.

But then again, they were smart enough to allow for upgradeable storage from the off and make it a complete non-issue, unlike Nintendo.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 17-05-2021, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      I haven't got a clue.
      If you can, I'd bet that Sony and MS probably haven't made a mess of it and half-baked it the way Nintendo have.
      Then why dissing Nintendo on an undocumented feature that with 99.9% chance developers never thought about? I really don't think that any of the major console developers have thought about using DVD-R, RW, or RAM (in itself a rather rare variant of the DVD format) as a storage media in pace of external HDDs.

Comment

I love how angry Nu-eclipse still is about the storage on the WiiU

This is kinda interesting, it seems like it just sees it as a hard drive? Like it’s an unintended feature.

Comment

Then why dissing Nintendo on an undocumented feature that with 99.9% chance developers never thought about? I really don't think that any of the major console developers have thought about using DVD-R, RW, or RAM (in itself a rather rare variant of the DVD format) as a storage media in pace of external HDDs.
          Because half-arsing a feature like this isn't a win of any kind when the machine chronically lacked storage to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            I love how angry Nu-eclipse still is about the storage on the WiiU
            Lol. Who's angry about it?

If anything, I find it hilarious and typical of Nintendo that they couldn't get something like this quite right, and in true Bordersdown Forum fashion people like Briareos are finding creative ways to defend Nintendo for it.

Wild.

Comment

If Wii U allowed you to pirate games on the console itself....it still wouldnt have been a success.

Comment

Lol. Who's angry about it?

If anything, I find it hilarious and typical of Nintendo that they couldn't get something like this quite right, and in true Bordersdown Forum fashion people like Briareos are finding creative ways to defend Nintendo for it.
                I would have done the same for Sony and MS. Maybe not MS, don't really care about Xbox anymore. If my ways to defend them are creativ, yours to attack them are too. Small internal storage? Fine, I perfectly agree. Not fully supporting external DVD burners? That's a stretch.

Comment

Literally had no idea that the Wii U could do this, despite owning two of the bloody things!

(But of course the feature is more cumbersome and complicated than it needs to be and/or should be, because Nintendo innit?)

This isn't a feature of the Wii U at all.

The USB DVD drive is presenting the DVD-RAM disc as regular USB storage, and the console is formatting and using it as such because that's just how DVD-RAM discs work. That dude could connect the drive to any other device that supports USB storage and get the same result(it could be like the Will It Blend? series).

Hilariously, the wiki page for DVD-RAM points to this video as proof of Wii U support

Comment

I would have done the same for Sony and MS. Maybe not MS, don't really care about Xbox anymore. If my ways to defend them are creativ, yours to attack them are too. Small internal storage? Fine, I perfectly agree. Not fully supporting external DVD burners? That's a stretch.
                    You are dataDave in disguise and I claim my £10 eShop credit!

Expecting the Wii U to natively play a disc that it lets me burn without the need for an external HDD is not a stretch and you know full well that it isn't.

But I digress.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 18-05-2021, 08:07.

Comment

Expecting the Wii U to natively play a disc that it lets me burn without the need for an external HDD is not a stretch and you know full well that it isn't.
                      The Wii U isn't letting you burn anything. Expecting it to read that burned disc is such a long stretch, it would wrap around the equator a few times at least.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                        Expecting it to read that burned disc is such a long stretch, it would wrap around the equator a few times at least.

Comment

In other news, the Wii U eShop appears to be having something of a renaissance, as people appears to be getting their GBA Metroid fix for it by downloading Fusion and Zero Mission, presumably in preparation for Dread.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is also on Wii U eShop and is also getting some redownload love too.

Personally, I despise the fact that Nintendo didn't make GBA games downloadable for the 3DS (despite originally saying that they would at launch) past the Ambassador Programme freebies. GBA games on Wii U are really only good for the hacking benefits IMO.

Comment

I noticed that the WiiU shop was populated again after going down to only 68 games a few months back.

You playing the long reply game?

Comment

This applies to every word you’ve posted about the DVD-RAM non-feature, and yet you’re still in denial.

Fascinating.

Comment

Still alive in 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                X