Nintendo WiiU: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    It's a given that homebrew breaking is likely the sole purpose of this update at this point in the WiiU's afterlife, same with the 3DS.

Not likely to be anything that hackers can't get around, though.

As much I don't want to drag my WiiU out of storage to finish off the BotW DLC, it's been on my mind and I can't help but take this to be a sign!
    I naively updated my 3DS the other week before updating Luma3DS and found I could no longer boot the console until I manually updated Luma3DS - so it's always good to check prior! lol

Comment

I'm also very annoyed by my 3DS asking me to update on every boot.

It's only a matter of time before my son unknowingly does it, too. I'd better get it looked into at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        I'm also very annoyed by my 3DS asking me to update on every boot.

It's only a matter of time before my son unknowingly does it, too. I'd better get it looked into at some point.
        Can’t you just turn the wifi off on it and keep that one offline? The get another one on the cheap for online stuff, your son, etc. Not ideal but if you got homebrew on it will only be a matter of time until someone accidentally clicks on the prompt.

Comment

You can delete the files that give you the update prompt from your system through FBI. Can't remember the exact steps but if you google them you'll find it.

Comment

Literally had no idea that the Wii U could do this, despite owning two of the bloody things!

(But of course the feature is more cumbersome and complicated than it needs to be and/or should be, because Nintendo innit?)

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 17-05-2021, 14:11.

Comment

Literally had no idea that the Wii U could do this, despite owning two of the bloody things!

(But of course the feature is more cumbersome and complicated than it needs to be and/or should be, because Nintendo innit?)

Hah, wow.

The early PS3s could take your home movies and photos off memory sticks, and make movies out of them to music. It had a whole video editor tool and everything.

I'm sure both the people who ever used it must have loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                Hah, wow.

The early PS3s could take your home movies and photos off memory sticks, and make movies out of them to music. It had a whole video editor tool and everything.
                Despite owning an OG phat PS3 (and using it to display videos and photos from MS Duo), I didn't know this either, haha!

Comment

You mean burning discs (which never crossed my mind) or moving stuff onto an external drive?

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                    You mean burning discs (which never crossed my mind) or moving stuff onto an external drive?
                    Burning discs. I knew that you could move Wii U stuff to an external drive but I never bothered because the external drive needed adequate power IIRC.

Process is convoluted though (as is the way with Nintendo) - DVD-RAMs only and the discs you burn can't actually be played on the Wii U and will need to be played on a DVD drive attached to the Wii U. Furthermore, they can't be used with any other Wii U.

It's basically a workaround process to compensate for the Wii U's chronic lack of native storage space.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 17-05-2021, 16:19.

Comment

Burning discs. I knew that you could move Wii U stuff to an external drive but I never bothered because the external drive needed adequate power IIRC.
                      No, if the external HDD doesn't require power on its own, the WiiU is enough to power it. I have a Toshiba 2TB extenal HDD and it's perfectly fine with just one USB cable. Same thing with the Wii.
                      You can say that using a DVD-RAM is a convoluted workaround, but why would you go through the trouble of using an external DVD unit when a HDD is faster and less cumbersome?

Comment

You can say that using a DVD-RAM is a convoluted workaround, but why would you go through the trouble of using an external DVD unit when a HDD is faster and less cumbersome?
                        That's effectively my point.

It's quite pointless being able to actually use the Wii U itself to burn games to DVD-RAM if you then cannot play them back on the Wii U itself natively. That makes it convoluted IMO.

These workarounds wouldn't be needed if the Wii U had the ability to upgrade native storage from the off a la PS3 and 360.

Comment

But connecting an external HDD and playing things off it is hardly convoluted on a WiiU. Yes, an internal HDD or larger memory would be better, but it's not like you have to tinker for half an hour just to get the HDD recognised.

Comment

But connecting an external HDD and playing things off it is hardly convoluted on a WiiU. Yes, an internal HDD or larger memory would be better, but it's not like you have to tinker for half an hour just to get the HDD recognised.
                            Be that as it may, it's still a somewhat compromised at-best solution to a problem that simply didn't need to exist in the first place, so yes it is very much convoluted.

I can rip my eShop purchases onto a DVD-RAM using the actual Wii U (which actually goes to the trouble of formatting the DVD-RAM into a Wii U Disc) but I cannot then play the DVD-RAM I've just burned on the Wii U internally? Ridiculous. Peak Nintendo.
                            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 17-05-2021, 20:18.

Comment

To speak in favour of [MENTION=2970]Nu-Eclipse[/MENTION]'s point... The WiiU's internal storage, if you didn't have the premium version, was an absolute joke. I remember when we got ours, I'm pretty sure the initial update wiped out nearly all the space!

Comment

I can rip my eShop purchases onto a DVD-RAM using the actual Wii U (which actually goes to the trouble of formatting the DVD-RAM into a Wii U Disc) but I cannot then play the DVD-RAM I've just burned on the Wii U internally? Ridiculous. Peak Nintendo.
                                Can you do that with any other console?

Comment

Working...
                                X