Nintendo WiiU: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo WiiU: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Aww, truly a momentous occasion as with Thread 05 passing 2,000 posts we start up Thread 06 and it's pretty much certain that this will be Nintendo's final WiiU dedicated thread here given the systems state now.

Wonder how well the Wii U is stacking up against the beloved GameCube console? Well, data lover ZhugeEX has published a graph on Twitter showing Wii U sales aligned with GameCube sales. The Wii U is…

A graph has been put together charting WiiU against Gamecube sales. If you give the system another 12 months you're potentially looking at final lifetime sales in the region of 15-16m.

That's if this rumour isn't true, the rumour is that Nintendo has started to restrict WiiU stocks in preparation of the launch build up to NX in Japan.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 16-02-2022, 09:28.

Probably in the minority, but I LOVE this mockup.

Comment

Who else thinks Zelda U will be NX exclusive?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Probably in the minority, but I LOVE this mockup.
        Make it a tad darker and I'd be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
          I'd love it if it was still called that too - just to nail home Nintendo's terrible naming conventions

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            Nope but I'm certain it will come out on both consoles before the year is out.

Comment

I think it will come to both consoles this year, like the man above. Even by Nintendo's standards it would be an unbelievable dick move not to release it on U at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                Even by Nintendo's standards it would be an unbelievable dick move not to release it on U at this point.
                Nintendo d1ck moves are in season though - ask OG 3DS owners who want to play SNES games on their machines.

But seriously, I tend to agree - "Zelda U" will most likely get the Twilight Princess GC/Wii treatment imo - a Wii U-era ending release and an NX-era starting release.

No Nintendo home console has ever gone without an original Zelda title and I'd be astonished if Nintendo made that dubious piece of history with the Wii U.

Comment

It's nuts that it has taken this long to get an original Zelda on WiiU and it still isn't out. It's no use at the end of a weak console's life. They should really be developing a whole other NX Zelda to avoid a repeat of that. That's if they don't just bump this over to it exclusively.

Comment

I'm going to guess it comes to both systems like Twilight Princess but though I'm sure it's likely I'd still not put 100% on it making it out this year. I think it'll depend strongly on when NX is ready and the WiiU version, like Twilight on GC, will be limited in numbers as its release at this point on the current machine is more of a good will gesture than a money making exercise. The other two would just move it over wholesale.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      It's nuts that it has taken this long to get an original Zelda on WiiU and it still isn't out. It's no use at the end of a weak console's life. They should really be developing a whole other NX Zelda to avoid a repeat of that. That's if they don't just bump this over to it exclusively.
                      Original Zelda games have been Nintendo home console tail-end releases for a long time now so it hardly makes any difference from that point of view. Most Wii U owners are waiting for an original Zelda game at this point so it probably isn't a good idea to p1ss them off by not delivering on that front and potentially damaging NX goodwill.

The NX needs games quickly from day one so porting Zelda U is pretty much a no-brainer. I would imagine that it will be ages before we see a brand new NX Zelda.

Comment

I think the late Zelda launches are something Nintendo need to sort out. The franchises popularity keeps taking the hit for Nintendos tardiness and I'd wager the pool of WiiU owners desperate for Zelda WiiU isn't that big. If I was them I'd cancel it and retool it as a first year NX AAA

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          I think the late Zelda launches are something Nintendo need to sort out. The franchises popularity keeps taking the hit for Nintendos tardiness and I'd wager the pool of WiiU owners desperate for Zelda WiiU isn't that big. If I was them I'd cancel it and retool it as a first year NX AAA
                          The current Wii U owners are the people with faith in Nintendo and their franchises (Smash/Kart fans, some Mario fans, and now a set of Splatoon fans). Most of that pool of 13m is expecting Zelda. Cancelling it would completely destroy any goodwill relationships those consumers have with the company, Nintendo know that as they keep reassuring people it's coming out on the WiiU each time snippets of the game are shown.

Comment

Based on the last few years I'm pretty close to just thinking F Nintendo permanently. To be fair though, Sony and Microsoft aren't far behind. Not really even sure what it is that I want from them but it's definitely not what I've been getting. Dark souls 3 and VR are the only things I'm excited for. This new zelda will be pish; Nintendo are too scared to change the formula enough to make it relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Based on the last few years I'm pretty close to just thinking F Nintendo permanently. To be fair though, Sony and Microsoft aren't far behind. Not really even sure what it is that I want from them but it's definitely not what I've been getting. Dark souls 3 and VR are the only things I'm excited for. This new zelda will be pish; Nintendo are too scared to change the formula enough to make it relevant.
                              One could definitely argue that modern console gaming on the whole is in a malaise.

PC gaming would appear to be where it is at currently, and I say that as somebody who has very, very little interest in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X