No announcement yet.

Nintendo WiiU: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked it a lot, but a proprietary social media platform which only Nintendo users can access wasn't their brightest of ideas, not when it's easy enough to splurge to Twitter/Facebook along with everyone else.

Comment

I loved the little plaza with the black and white art that auto displayed. I don't think I ever saw a rude picture as well. Which may mean the controls or policing was very good.

No disrespect but had that been on PC, Xbox or PS I'm sure it would have been meme and naughty picture central.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        I liked it a lot, but a proprietary social media platform which only Nintendo users can access wasn't their brightest of ideas, not when it's easy enough to splurge to Twitter/Facebook along with everyone else.
        I was attracted to it precisely because it was a purely inconsequential social tool around the Nintendo platform. Nothing bled into it from the outside and it didn't really cross into other domains. This isn't some dumbass "keep politics out of games" rant either as I'm not one of those people, but more that I loved how focused it was.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          Yeah, it makes a whole bunch of sense to be able to share to 'proper' social media platforms. I just wish they had kept both.

Originally posted by Digfox
          I loved the little plaza with the black and white art that auto displayed. I don't think I ever saw a rude picture as well. Which may mean the controls or policing was very good.

No disrespect but had that been on PC, Xbox or PS I'm sure it would have been meme and naughty picture central.

Definitely down to the quality of the moderation more than anything else would be my guess!

It felt like a great little community though. When Iwata died, the plaza was flooded with tributes. It was actually quite moving.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            Yeah, it makes a whole bunch of sense to be able to share to 'proper' social media platforms. I just wish they had kept both.
            That would have been a good idea actually. For the kids with no social media they post stuff to Miiverse. For adults, if you want to post to Twitter/FB it also goes on your Miiverse by default.

Comment

The Miiverse revisionism in here is wild.

Miiverse was largely awful from start to finish. Half-baked and clunky at best.
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 04-12-2020, 21:01.

Comment

It's not revisionism, it's an opinion

I really enjoyed it. It was more Dark Souls anonymous message-leaving than tweeting or Facebooking, and I thought it worked really well.

Comment

I must admit, I never really paid it much attention. It just seemed like a bit of fluff, rather than anything worthwhile.

Comment

The WiiU hardware let it down really. Felt very old fashioned, connection issues with the gamepad plus a crap battery, no Full RGB on the HDMI plus the face buttons on the Pro controller were further to the left in relation to the right stick than on the Gamepad itself making transitioning between the two a bit of a nightmare (when reaching tor X I'd more often press A). ZombiU was ace though!

Comment

Oh god, yeah, the whole console was a comedy of errors in most other respects.

Let me the count ways:

1) Having a screen on the controller just isn't really that useful or compelling, and mostly proves immersion breaking. The map in Zelda WW was useful, and ZombiU was cool, but it barely justified its existence otherwise.

2) The gamepad's battery life was disastrously bad.

3) The washed out, resistive screen felt dated the moment it was released (into a world where iPads had already been a thing for over two years)

4) The marketing, branding and positioning were all atrocious and completely failed to communicate what it was, what it did, and why you should buy it

But, hey! I liked Miiverse!

Actually I had a lot of fun with my WiiU in general. It was a bad console though.

Comment

The pad was *great* for asymmetric gameplay like Mario Chase. Otherwise, usually not that good.

Comment

Actually I forgot about Mario Chase. That was awesome.

But yeah, not enough to build a whole system around.

Comment

I still love my Wii U and use it to play Art Academy most weeks. It's also the only system where I can play my favourite Zelda game of all time.

Speaking of Miiverse, I miss it too, particularly the Miiverse Art Academy community. I remember thinking it would be full of childish anime or pixel art - and, yes, there was a lot of that, but there was also a lot of incredible abstract, impressionist and other more sophisticated and mature forms of art, indeed the breadth and depth of talent on display was quite incredible given the platform.

I think Nintendo closed it down because it was free to use but not free to police and so it was losing them money. Pity as it was often a funny place to visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV41A8L1r3U

Comment

Originally posted by thinkitty View Post
                              I still love my Wii U and use it to play Art Academy most weeks. It's also the only system where I can play my favourite Zelda game of all time.

Speaking of Miiverse, I miss it too, particularly the Miiverse Art Academy community. I remember thinking it would be full of childish anime or pixel art - and, yes, there was a lot of that, but there was also a lot of incredible abstract, impressionist and other more sophisticated and mature forms of art, indeed the breadth and depth of talent on display was quite incredible given the platform.

I think Nintendo closed it down because it was free to use but not free to police and so it was losing them money. Pity as it was often a funny place to visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV41A8L1r3U
                              WiiU exclusive Zelda? What is it!?

Comment

Link's Crossbow Training!

No, wait...

Comment

Working...
                                X