No announcement yet.

Monster Hunter: World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The X will probably have similar options to the Pro in that as you boot, you can choose between framerate, graphics or resolution, which is a great addition.

I think the thing that interests me is the cross between the co-op giant enemy fights of EDF to the co-op objective-smashing in Lost Planet 2. LP2 had loads and loads of unwritten extras like merging mechs or combing weapons and this looks like it's even deeper than that. I also found the 3rd-person controls a little clunky, but it's not long before you're a lot more nimble.

I like how international it is. In the beta, I've played with Brits, Americans, Korean and Japanese players.

5 big, potentially endless games to treat as a second home in 2018

"If you're one of the initiated loyalists who've been enjoying Monster Hunter for years, you know exactly why World is on this list. If you're one of the many who've been hovering on the periphery of this most beloved but cultish and inscrutable series, wondering what all the fuss is about… Well, let me explain by combining blunt references to bigger games and movies, in a fashion which will no doubt infuriate the purists, but will be regardless remain correct:

Dark Souls + a bit of Far Cry + Destiny + Jurassic Park = Monster Hunter. That’s what you want to know.

And trust me, it is the recipe for a game you want stuffed right in your face. The core gameplay loop is a masterstroke of moreish, long-term gratification. Stalk, track, and battle monsters - using a variety of puristic, demanding strategies and tactics spread over 14 different weapon types - take those monsters out using a careful, slow-and-steady approach (alone, or while combining your abilities with those of friends), then harvest their corpses for materials, craft new gear with it, and move on to bigger, more rewarding quarry.

It's simple on paper, but the depth of Monster Hunter's systems, the purism of its combat, and the marathon nature of its progress path make for an intensely compulsive, deeply gratifying 'career' game."

Comment

The clunk factor is what new players should definitely be aware of. Like QC mentioned, think along the lines of Lost Planet in terms of control. These big monsters require big heavy weapons to do damage. You can go regular sword and shield though. It my take a bit longer that hitting a monster with a massive sword the size of a house. But that's if you hit them with that big house sword Timing and sometimes luck is needed to wield something so big and heavy ie. You start swinging and by the time your weapon is coming down, the monster already moved across the map

It's these things that help make it a meaty game you can learn and get skilled in with time.

The items in game can seem overwhelming too. But with experience and maybe a little spotting on a wiki, you'll pick it up.

I'm looking forward to this. Especially the single player so I can learn the ropes. I will co-op too.

The only thing that I have a teeny problem with is everyone running after a monster who has clearly had enough. But you and your team run after it shouting and wahoo-ing coz you know in about 5 minutes you are gonna carve his skin off in front of its kids.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
        The clunk factor is what new players should definitely be aware of. Like QC mentioned, think along the lines of Lost Planet in terms of control.
        Lost Planet 2 is such an unintuitive control system, it's hard to play at first.
        I remember switching from LP2 session to play Rainbow Six: Vegas with some mates and I'd totally "unlearned" the more standard FPS controls leading to a moment my mates still rib me about:
        "Which button is grenade again?"
        ~QUALITYCHIMP BLEW HIMSELF UP~

However, I'd become so good with the grappling hook, knowing just where to place the reticle and snipe from sweet spots that I made some American rage quit, crying that I was cheating!

Originally posted by hudson View Post
        The only thing that I have a teeny problem with is everyone running after a monster who has clearly had enough. But you and your team run after it shouting and wahoo-ing coz you know in about 5 minutes you are gonna carve his skin off in front of its kids.
        I had a problem with this too, but Kryss helped me by filling in the backstory that these monsters previously ate your kids first and you're hell-bent on revenge.

Comment

That was my back story thank you very much.

I have a friend who took the game back to the shop because the whole hunting thing didn't sit right with them. Vegetarians too.

Comment

Do they play GTA and kill a prostitute to get their money back or play Hitman?

I'm joking, but it seems that's a bit too much piousness for me. "I don't eat meat, even virtual, fictional monsters."

I recently found out that you can actually be a vegan and not have to tell everyone about it! Who knew?

The thing is, you're using as much of each monster as possible for food, clothes, crafting and armour, so it's more responsible than something like Shadow of the Colossus.

Interesting topic, though. Thanks!

P.S. sorry for wrongly crediting your backstory.

Comment

Two comparisons I remember helping me get my head round MH when I started:

Learning to fight new monsters is a lot like learning fights in Punch-Out. They have their own behaviours, temperament, habits, and tells, and tuning in to them and reacting accordingly (and in tune with your party) is the key to getting better.

Picking up a new weapon is a lot like learning a new character in Street Fighter. As well as all your moves being different, you have to adjust your spacing, give yourself more/less time to react and move to things, and it'll need you to focus your attacks at different spaces.

I'd say it's common to find it 'clunky' at the start, but a better way to see it is that everything is meaningful. Third person character action games are often pretty open to mashing, but MH really isn't - before swinging or shooting, you'll want to think about how exposed you'll be afterwards, and what's likely to be coming up in that timeframe. If the answers are "very" and "a lot", you should probably be reaching for the sheath button instead.

Comment

QC’s excitement is reaching fever pitch 😁

Are you on PS or Xbox QC?

Comment

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered it!

I've had lots of fun in beta and look forward to building a character and learning the game's many secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    QC’s excitement is reaching fever pitch 

Are you on PS or Xbox QC?
                    Ha, we posted at the same time!

PS4, buddy. Gamer tag = QualityChimp

Comment

Yay QC! We can get our hunt on...sometime when we're both free and the timelines align.

Here's my vids from the first beta

Picking the right element for the right monster makes life less deathy.

Comment

Always nice to see some gushing love for a series on here... I'm going to check it out, though I notice on Xbox it's not out in all regions. I'm usually buying from Singapore or Hong Kong but looks like it's not available there.

Comment

Had to order from the US, just grabbed the standard edition and it's now downloading the preload.

Comment

A few articles to peruse whilst we wait for the release:

I'm Terrified Of 'Monster Hunter World'

Here's Why Monster Hunter World Isn't Coming To Nintendo Switch

MONSTER HUNTER WORLD – IS IT WORTH YOUR MONEY?

The Development of Monster Hunter World

Monster Hunter World’s Day One Patch 1.01 Detailed with Screenshots and Download Size

Monster Hunter World Trophy List Revealed

Conqueror of the New World trophy
                            Unlock all trophies for Monster Hunter: World

Welcome to the New World trophy
                            Earn the right to take on two-star assignments.

Nothing Stops This Commission trophy
                            Earn the right to take on three-star assignments.

Defender of Astera trophy
                            Earn the right to take on four-star assignments.

Into the Deep trophy
                            Earn the right to take on five-star assignments.

Death Begets Life trophy
                            Successfully guide Zorah Magdaros.

The Empress of the Highlands trophy
                            Earn the right to take on seven-star assignments.

One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall trophy
                            Earn the right to take on eight-star assignments.

The Sapphire Star trophy
                            Solve the mystery of the Elder Crossing.

The Hunter’s Life for Me trophy
                            Complete 50 optional quests.

An Inquisitive Mind trophy
                            Complete your first investigation.

The Franchise Hunter trophy
                            Complete 50 investigations.

Step into the Arena trophy
                            Complete your first arena quest.

Nowhere to Go but Up trophy
                            Complete 50 arena quests.

New World Settler trophy
                            Establish five camps.

The Art of Camouflage trophy
                            Escape the Jagras pack by hiding in some shrubs.

Angling for a Bite trophy
                            Catch your first fish.

Mmm, So Tasty! trophy
                            Cook your first well-done steak.

The Bigger They Are… trophy
                            Mount your first monster.

A Living Fossil trophy
                            Capture a fish known as “the living fossil.”

Snuggles for All trophy
                            Capture a fluffy, snuggly creature.

Commissioned Work trophy
                            Obtain 100,000 research points.

Bourgeois Hunter trophy
                            Possess 1,000,000 zenny.

Bristles for All trophy
                            Capture a stiff, bristly creature.

Rainbow Bright trophy
                            Capture a creature that glitters like a rainbow.

Impregnable Defense trophy
                            Obtain five highly rare pieces of armor.

Power is Everything trophy
                            Obtain five highly rare weapons.

Movin’ On Up trophy
                            Move into an upgraded room.

First Friends trophy
                            Befriend your first Tailraider.

Bosom Buddies trophy
                            Become fully proficient with any Palico Gadget.

Monster Ph.D. trophy
                            Research everything about almost every monster.

Temper Temper trophy
                            Hunt your first tempered monster.

Indomitable trophy
                            Hunt 50 tempered monsters.

Minature Crown trophy
                            Record your first minature crown in your hunting log.

Minatur Crown Collector trophy
                            Obtain a miniature crown for 10 or more monster in your hunting log.

Miniature Crown Master trophy
                            Obtain a miniature crown for almost every monster in your hunting log.

Giant Crown trophy
                            Record your first giant crown in your hunting log.

Giant Crown Collector trophy
                            Obtain a giant crown for 10 or more monsters in your hunting log.

Giant Crown Master trophy
                            Obtain a giant crown for almost every monster in your hunting log.

Capture Novice trophy
                            Capture your first monster.

Capture Pro trophy
                            Capture 50 monsters.

Elderslayer trophy
                            Slay 50 elder dragons.

Monster Slayer trophy
                            Hunt 100 large monsters.

Monster Hunter trophy
                            Hunt 500 large monsters.

HELP! trophy
                            Fire an SOS flare for the first time.

I Am the Reinforcements trophy
                            Respond to an SOS flare, and help complete 10 quests.

Hunters United trophy
                            Complete a quest via multiplayer

Hunters United Forever trophy
                            Complete 100 quests via multiplayer

Spreading the Word trophy
                            Collect over 50 Guild Cards.

Established Hunter trophy
                            Reach hunter rank 100.

"The story trophies are progression based for unlocking higher star-assignments (basically the difficulty of the quests). There are a few cryptic trophies that require catching specific monsters. Everything else seems straight forward, mostly progression based repetitive tasks you’ll do over time anyway. The big time consuming tasks will be the gold trophies for obtaining all minature crowns and giant crowns plus the silver trophy for researching everything about every monster. You can expect this to be a time consuming but relatively easy and fun platinum!"

Bonkers Japanese Trailer:

Comment

Thanks QC.

There are some good YouTube channels to follow too. Namely, Gaijin Hunter and Arekkz Gaming. Both guys cover all things MH, from weapon guides, monster tips and playthroughs.

Last edited by hudson; 23-01-2018, 16:49.

Comment

Crazy scenes. Nevermind the time, I was more impressed with how it went down.

Comment

Working...
                                X