No announcement yet.

HTC Vive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I presume you were doing that with someone else's controllers lol Or above a sofa or something?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      I presume you were doing that with someone else's controllers lol Or above a sofa or something?
      It was at a demo of sorts.

I really loved it, though I'm waiting until things advance a bit further. I really want the headset to be wireless.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        Oh great, I never knew Rez VR was on the PC. Resi 7 being a timed exclusive is good news too. I'm hoping work is good this year and then I can buy a VR set through my company for 21% off. .
        Hope you get some good luck then, REZ VR is off the chart brillaint, Aera X is like a drug and RE 7 is just pants filling brilliant in VR

Comment

Rez is still the ultimate VR experience for me. EDGE Mag hit the nail on the head when they said Rez was made for VR. It sure was. And Area X takes it to another level again.

Comment

Just tried the nightmare mode on Richie's plank experience. Not cool, dev. Not cool.

Comment

New vive 1.5 has been announced. 78% bump in resolution better optics (how though not sure) and new bits and bobs. Will be sold Q1 as HMD only for upgrade. Works with current base stations. Wireless adapter coming Q3.

Depends on price and how much better over the original it is before I consider but it’s always nice to get better resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Supergoal View Post
                New vive 1.5 has been announced. 78% bump in resolution better optics (how though not sure) and new bits and bobs. Will be sold Q1 as HMD only for upgrade. Works with current base stations. Wireless adapter coming Q3.

Depends on price and how much better over the original it is before I consider but it’s always nice to get better resolution.
                The resolution boost and the wireless options are the big selling point here, having to constantly move your wire or untangle yourself is a big problem with most vr headsets. its a bit disappointing that they haven't solved The Vive space issue though, it takes up loads of room thanks to the tracking towers. i think Microsoft's mixed reality's inside out tracking is a better solution and its a shame the Vive hasn't moved away from big tripod towers. Microsofts tracking isn't perfect though as it has to fill in the blanks when it cant see your hands, but surely someone could solve this by introducing a single external extra camera pointed at the player that tracks what the headset cant see.

Wireless headsets bring extra issues though weight and battery life have to be balanced right as you don't want this thing giving you neck strain, its a real minefield as if they don't get it just right the reviewers will let them know.

I think the biggest problem facing vr though is getting a rig powerful enough to run stuff. The Vive's 78% boost in resolution is going to need a real beast of a machine to take advantage of and most people don't have a few thousand pounds for a niche products like this.

They need to think about clever ways to reduce the computing power needed to run vr games, the psvr i think highlights the issues facing vr really well and is a system that is really straining now. take skyrim to get it running in vr on the relatively low resolution psvr they had to massively downgrade the graphics and when you consider how old a game it is do gamers really want to play what is essentially the ps3 version of Skyrim but in vr.
                Last edited by Lebowski; 09-01-2018, 11:24.

Comment

I want PC Skyrim VR so badly. All the fixes and mods and beautiful 4K textures...

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                    They need to think about clever ways to reduce the computing power needed to run vr games, the psvr i think highlights the issues facing vr really well and is a system that is really straining now. take skyrim to get it running in vr on the relatively low resolution psvr they had to massively downgrade the graphics and when you consider how old a game it is do gamers really want to play what is essentially the ps3 version of Skyrim but in vr.
                    I think it starts with just accepting you can't have VR games look like contemporary games if you want them to be performant. This ties into stuff I was saying in the 60fps thread; it's high time developers put performance first.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I think it starts with just accepting you can't have VR games look like contemporary games if you want them to be performant. This ties into stuff I was saying in the 60fps thread; it's high time developers put performance first.

some do look really nice though Robo Recall looks ace as dose the secret shop in steams vr labs these both use very small play spaces though so maybe that's the trick to getting good looking vr games.

So Erm it seems this really is a 1.5 upgrade and a lot are saying its to catch up with the mixed reality resolution bump, the cynic in me says it cant just be coincidence that this directly mirrors the premium £400 Samsung mixed reality headset spec wise, right down to the integrated headphones, they have even added two camera to the front of it bizarrely.

Comment

Super hot is 40% off at the moment http://store.steampowered.com/app/322500/SUPERHOT/

Comment

It really depends on the price of the Pro HMD whether I pick one up. Anything north of $400 I'm out. This sort of confirms we won't see Vive 2 info till 2019 earliest.

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                            Super hot is 40% off at the moment http://store.steampowered.com/app/322500/SUPERHOT/
                            Good spot. Downloading now.

Comment

I was reading up on how to best place and angle the lighthouse senors. I discovered that the little blue light inside them that goes green is not a "sensor can see other sensor". It's a "this sensor is no longer vibrating much". Now that the sensors are screwed to the walls, rather than sitting on a box or a ladder, the image never drops out. I've no idea how the sensing works, with those motors spinning around inside them all the time, but looks like they need to be firmly fix or on a solid shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                I was reading up on how to best place and angle the lighthouse senors. I discovered that the little blue light inside them that goes green is not a "sensor can see other sensor". It's a "this sensor is no longer vibrating much". Now that the sensors are screwed to the walls, rather than sitting on a box or a ladder, the image never drops out. I've no idea how the sensing works, with those motors spinning around inside them all the time, but looks like they need to be firmly fix or on a solid shelf.
                                does this help https://steamcommunity.com/app/25082...3686080839853/
                                Are they making a lot of noise, a high pitch squeal?

Comment

Working...
                                X