Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore me. Its a film.

Comment

So are Michael Keaton and Ben Affleck in the same film?

Comment

Yep, seems like they're using Batman as a way of showcasing the effects of Barry changing the timeline

Comment

So, like the MCU, trying to link all previous movies to give them a little more cache.

Comment

Positive reviews of James Gunn's new The Suicide Squad are once again leading to criticisms of the previous entry by David Ayer, Ayer has decided to draw a line under the subject:

Meanwhile, J.K Simmons is said to be in talks to return as Commissioner Gordon in the DC Universe for Batgirl. This would potentially lean the film into being a Timeline 01 film.

Comment

Back from watching the film and the short spoiler free review would be:

I enjoyed it, I can see it being more divisive with audiences than it's been with reviewers but it's a fun film that carries Gunn's touch throughout. Funny, violent to an easy extent that still makes the DCU hard to sell to kids, with some nice heartfelt moments and scale.

Spoilered thoughts:

The missus' thought on it was "It was terrible... I enjoyed it". Part of that I think comes from the weird stuff that sits in Gunn's wheelhouse and all comes from the DC universe but still sits at odds with the continuous grounded world the DCU has opted to sit in. The film has a heavy amount of humour, sometimes it's dark too, whilst all the characters are likeable and the action is well done.

The elephant in the room - the previous film. Honestly, I still wouldn't class the previous film as one to champion but it's always been inoffensive fun to me, a film I can sit and enjoy easily enough because it's a straightforward action film at its heart. The vitriol for it always came across as overplayed as a result of the whole MCU fans vs DCU waffle that occurs every time a DCU film releases. For a lot of this film... it didn't really come across as that removed from the previous one. You don't need to have seen it but at the same time it's clearly a sequel to it, the beats are the same, the tone isn't that different, it shares characters, the plot arc is pretty much the same, characterisations are the same etc.

What this film feels like is a bit like a second attempt that opts to dial the action, humour, characters etc up to 11 rather than veer away from it. It more confidently embraces the concept and that is largely all. I personally would say small moments in this at times carry more weight with me as a viewer as a direct result of having seen the first film, without it I'm not sure they'd hit quite as strongly.

If they make another it would probably work best to have a fresh cast in full bar Waller, not having a sense of who will survive or not helps it along with showcasing the more bottom end of character options too.

Comment

I read your spoilers because I'll never see this but I'm just going to chime in that I don't think the vitriol for the first film was overplayed. It's rare I class a film as unwatchable but I literally had to turn it off.

Comment

I'd be very interested to see what you make of the new one, I guess a lot falls on the set up etc ultimately being what it is - like, how different could a Suicide Squad film be if they aren't going to directly face major characters? - this feels like one of the most direct experiments in how execution differences could affect perception of a film given there's no real 'reboot' elements at play.

Comment

With the first, it wasn't about the elements (well, Harley really annoyed me very early on) but about the execution. The opening 15 minutes or so felt almost like scenes were played on shuffle and each moment was so horribly written that it would likely be unintentionally hilarious and entertaining had it not seemed so out of order. Not sure how much I actually watched but I switched off after the Batman bit.

Comment

Yep, the film settles down a lot not long after that as I think it moves past the backgrounds of each character which is where it's most heavily deployed but for the most part you probably carry enough context to get the elements in this one. This is tighter in a lot of ways, like using the same tricks but Gunn is much more adept than the previous films editors were. It's more being on board with the weird elements and tone than anything else.

Comment

Thinking back on this earlier and the wider DCU the key unaddressed are Warners has is... kids.
                        Calling back on the MCU movies, just about every one of them is relatable in a way to be enjoyed by everyone from kids, teens, adults, elders

DCU?

Man of Steel - Meh, not really
                        Batman v Superman - Meh, less so
                        Suicide Squad - Nah
                        Wonder Woman - Not really again
                        Justice League - Maybe more so than the others but still hardly appealing
                        Aquaman - To an extent maybe but limited
                        Shazam - Probably the best for it but it would do well to further embrace the tone etc
                        Birds of Prey - Hell no
                        Wonder Woman 1984 - Meh
                        The Suicide Squad - Not in a month of Sundays

If you don't have the kids wrapped up then you're already in a gimped position.

Comment

“Aquaman” producer Peter Safran says online efforts to get Amber Heard removed from the upcoming sequel have been dismissed by the film’s creative team. Heard starred as the female lead Mera in James Wan’s first “Aquaman” film and reprises the role in the currently filming sequel. In the wake of her tumultuous and very public […]

The producer of Aquaman II has dismissed online pushes for Heard to be fired from the film in the wake of the accounts of her abuse of Depp by saying having her return in the film is the right decision because it's what's best for the film.

Comment

Interesting little straw poll at work today as discussion came up about The Suicide Squad. With the new film out quite a few intend to watch it but have watched the original in the last few days and it quickly reared up as a subject how that film performed really well back when it released and I was curious as to whether the online discourse about it being so horrid held up - everyone enjoyed it, no-one thought it was amazing but opinion seemed to broadly be the same as it was back when it released, it's an easy likeable watch for those who aren't that fussed about much beyond simple enjoyment which make sme interested to see what they take away from the new one when they see it later in the week or whenever.

Me, I must admit I've found myself thinking back on the new film quite a lot in the last few days. I think it's one that's going to really settle with me very positively on second viewing where I'm aware of what's coming up so can settle and enjoy it more than being caught off guard by some moments.

Comment

“Cobra Kai” breakout actor Xolo Mariduena is in talks to star in the lead role of Jaime Reyes in the “Blue Beetle” film for HBO Max, Warner Bros. and DC Films. The project marks the first DC superhero movie led by a Latino character, though DC has had several Latino characters in its films before […]

Xolo Mariduena, from Cobra Kai, is said to be in talks for the lead role in Blue Beetle

Comment

With James Gunn’s “The Suicide Squad” earning just $26.5 million in its opening three days of release at the North American box-office, arguments and plenty of hand-wringing movie site editorials are being penned debating the question of who is to blame. The $185 million budget film scored well with critics and with online audience polls, […]

Whilst The Suicide Squad is struggling to gain traction in cinemas it has performed strongly on its HBO Max release becoming the services second biggest movie launch ever. Warner Bros remains eager for Gunn to return to the studio and to make another film though presumably it's unlikely that that film will be a third Suicide Squad entry.

Comment

Working...
                                X