No announcement yet.

The DC Extended Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed Shazam. Could have been even better had it been allowed to be quirkier. Really liked Wonder Woman but it descended into formless CG fight at the end, like many superhero movies I guess. But liking these two and feeling that the one thing that held both of them back was some need to be formulaic while hating Man of Steel and not seeing any of the Vs/Justice League ones because they look atrocious leaves me thinking that, personally, I'd probably prefer if DC abandons all attempt at a CU and allows each movie to stand alone and be its own thing. Because they have some good stuff there. They just need to use it.

Comment

Wonder Woman 1984 seems to be more confidently stepping away from the old style of the films. Personally, the DCU's main problem to begin with actually was the Nolan trilogy. That trilogy was a horrific starting point for the cinematic universe but in attempting to avoid making something like Marvel's efforts Warners blatantly looked to their big earner for inspiration. It's always been interesting as to how much Nolan has managed to wriggle free of responsibility of that criticism given his direct involvement in its creation and I say that as someone who really likes Man of Steel. Nolan's trilogy broadly works because it exists in a bubble and even then it's uneven and wonky and everything the other hero films shouldn't be.

In the end the DCU's early films are a huge overreaction to Green Lantern and whilst not every films sticks the landing such as the recent Birds of Prey they're at least finding a distinct voice and tone now which should prove interesting if in time the success of some of the films leads to another crossover where seeing Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Shazam, Superman and Flash reteam on screen feels like an event. I still feel trapped with the CU's in that the upcoming DC films feel like they're much more likely to disappoint but on the flip side feel like much more interesting stabs compared to Marvel's which I feel little for because of how samey they usually are.

Comment

I think I agree with you on the Nolan films, as much as I like them myself. But then maybe that brings me to a core problem I have with the DC world, one which I don't have with the Marvel world... and I realise I'm probably in the minority here given that DC have been mixing these heroes together for generations but I don't buy Batman's relevance in a world with Superman and comparable heroes. I just don't buy him. He's a rich guy with some toys, and not even on the ladder to approaching what someone like Iron Man can do, another rich guy with toys. To have the DC world represented by Batman and Superman has never fit for me. So to have a film like The Dark Knight, which is a grounded crime film and the main out there element being some weirdo in a bat suit, take place in a world with Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman? I'd find that hard to buy.

Comment

That's definitely always been an issue with the character, he's utterly outclassed by pretty much every other major DC hero but because of his popularity they come up with convoluted ways of trying to establish him as someone the others answer to. Of pretty much every superhero across all companies I'd say Batman is miles and away the best in terms of the world and characters so I get the desire to bump him up but it's why things like Batman v Superman always felt daft as it's obvious he'd get pulped in a nano-second without an obscene amount of overreaching plot armour.

Comment

While many blockbuster films rush to meet their deadline, that’s not the case with Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman 1984”. Jenkins shot the feature throughout the second half of 2018 and so was able to get the film pretty much completed before the pandemic hit. She’s even previously discussed having the luxury of time to go […]

Jenkins has shelved her work on both the Amazonian film as well as Wonder Woman 3 as she wants to wait and see what the world outlook is post-Covid rather than make something that feels off tone.

British actor Henry Cavill says he wants to continue playing Superman for “years to come”. The 37-year-old “Man of Steel” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” star recently did an interview with Patrick Stewart for Variety and says he’s always been a fan of Superman as a character and is well aware of the […]

And whilst talks continue, Henry Cavill has said that as far as he is concerned he wants to continue as Superman in the DCU for years to come.

Comment

Warner Bros. Picture is rumored to be in the process of developing a new live-action DC film centering around magic-wielding superhero Zatanna Zatara reports DCEU Mythic Created by Gardner Fox and Murphy Anderson, Zatanna Zatara is the daughter of a famous stage magician. She inherited his father’s magical powers and career as a professional illusionist. […]

Word is that Warner Bros has begun work on a standalone Zatanna movie

Comment

“Wonder Woman” filmmaker Patty Jenkins has revealed that along with more films, there are also talks currently underway regarding an animated series focused on the Amazons and their homeland of Themyscira. The project would join a third film and a spin-off film that would be “part of the in-world story of Wonder Woman” that are […]

Now an in-canon Wonder Woman animated series is being talked about also.

Comment

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” and “Charlie’s Angels” actor Noah Centineo has joined the “Black Adam” movie at New Line and DC. Dwayne Johnson takes on the title role, a man who has powers comparable to that of Shazam including flight, strength, agility, lightning manipulation, as well as magic. Centineo will play Atom […]

Noah Centineo has been signed to play Atom Smasher in Black Adam

Comment

Warner Bros. Pictures is aiming to finally release “Wonder Woman 1984” in cinemas in October, the film arriving nearly a year after its earliest planned release. Though an apparent synopsis leak a while ago appeared to spoil the film’s story, how much that breakdown reflects the final film is unclear. Whatever the case, it’s expected […]

Jenkins looks set to make Wonder Woman 3 but says it will likely be her last one

Comment

Given the new demand for recuts of existing superhero films, Ryan has presented Green Lantern: The Reynolds Cut

Comment

Warner Brothers has released a trailer for DC FanDome, the 24-hour online virtual fan experience celebrating all things DC which will take place on Saturday August 22nd starting at 10am US-PDT. The event is expected to show case at least something from “Zack Snyder’s Justice League,” James Gunn’s “The Suicide Squad” and Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder […]

On 22 August Warners will host the 24hr streaming event DC Fandome which is expected to reveal new info and footage on multiple DCU movies.

And the logo for The Suicide Squad has been revealed:

Comment

The impact of the pandemic hit WarnerMedia hit hard this week as Friday’s shift in upper management has now trickled down to hundreds of employees being let go yesterday from Warner Brothers, HBO and DC Universe as the company undergoes reorganisation. The widespread layoffs come as AT&T moves to consolidate WarnerMedia’s production operations into a […]

The release for Tenet is now locked which increasingly seems like Warner Bros will end up taking a huge loss on the misguided opening of the new film. As a result of the scaling up pandemic the October release of Wonder Woman 1984 and December's Dune are already falling into question.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            Given the new demand for recuts of existing superhero films, Ryan has presented Green Lantern: The Reynolds Cut

Lol I reckon I must be one of the few who actually liked Green Lantern!

Comment

The upcoming “The Flash” film will now boast TWO former Batman stars. Vanity Fair spoke with the film’s director Andy Muschietti (“IT”) who confirmed that Affleck will reprise his role as Batman in the film. He joins the already confirmed Michael Keaton who will also appear as the Caped Crusader. Muschietti says he thinks he’s […]

Ben Affleck is to extend his technical title as the Batman actor to appear in the most movies having signed on to return in the role for one last time in The Flash. The director has said that Batman is core to the film and it's already known that the film is based around Flashpoint with Micheal Keaton also returning to play Batman as well, presumably post-Flashpoint. This will allow Affleck to step out of the role with a fitting exit written into the DCU canon but also allow Keaton to step in, the question is if they directly make Keaton's Batman the same one as the Tim Burton entries thereby retroactively making them direct non-multiverse DCU movies.

Comment

DC.com - Welcome to the Official Site for DC. DC is home to the world's Greatest Super Heroes, including SUPERMAN, BATMAN, WONDER WOMAN, GREEN LANTERN, THE FLASH, AQUAMAN and more

Warner Bros have revealed development has begun of a movie based on Static Shock

A new trailer for Wonder Woman 1984

Teaser for The Suicide Squad

The trailer for Justice League: The Snyder Cut

Steppenwolf comparison, first theatrical second Snyder Cut

Theatrical Group Shot first, Synder Group Shot second

Comment

Working...
                                X