No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see where you're coming from [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] but it didn't bother me so much because it's Doctor Strange and he's a wizard using magic, which is kinda amorphous. Like it can do anything, and doesn't have to make sense, I mean he's rewriting the fabric of reality.

To use a comparable example, this is a bit like when Hermione uses a magic spell in Harry Potter to erase her parents' knowledge of her. You see, in the movie, the pictures in her house all change so she vanishes out of them, and the family photos just show her parents. You have to assume that it erases, I dunno, her birth records, early school records, her library card, the memories of everyone her street, the CCTV footage from her local supermarket, the memories of that Irish family they met on holiday in Benidorm when she was 6, their photos... But it's magic, so it can do that.

I assumed it would work in two ways. Firstly, the spell erases everything that can easily be erased. Then, I assume, everything that can't... Like if people see a photo of Peter as Spider-man, their immediate reaction would be to dismiss it in the way you might dismiss a flat-earther video on YouTube.

Comment

I don’t know the Harry Potters to know that example but, yes, it’s Doctor Strange and it’s magic so it can kind of be anything. But when it puts in place a way it works and takes the trouble to explain in dialogue what it can and can’t do while ignoring something that seems obvious, that seems like a flaw. As your Harry Potter example seems to suggest, it would have been a very easy thing to explain away. But that explanation is notable in its absence when it did actually explain stuff but missed that.

And I guess the other thing is - pretty much any explanation along those lines would break if the inevitable happens and someone once again learns that thing.

Comment

It's definitely not clearly handled, it just seems to have the impression of having erased Peter Parker from existence to the rest of the world which I assume is going to be the intention meaning that's why those things don't come up as an issue and why it's indicated Ned and MJ get into Uni and he doesn't.

Now, if you want a major NWH plot hole

you should see the one Morbius introduces...

Last edited by Neon Ignition; 16-04-2022, 19:41.

Comment

Oh, good. Loads of spoilers up in here!

Some of us haven't seen No Way Home yet!!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Now, if you want a major NWH plot hole you should see the one Morbius introduces...
            Please explain....Ive seen Morbius and can't think!

Edit: unless you mean how vulture now seemingly hates spiderman? I guess that is explained by the plothole discussed above?

To me the sony spidey films can never fully integrate the MCU, however much Sony tries. They feel way different. More comic booky and janky and I hope they stay this way.
            Last edited by cutmymilk; 16-04-2022, 16:48.

Comment

Yikes. Yeah, let’s spoiler tag everything people.

Comment

I kept it vague at least

In Morbius we presumably have Vulture having forgotten Parkers identity due to Strange's spell but that spell sent everyone back to their own time and universe. It makes no sense for Vulture to have been transported to the Venom/Morbius world as he wasn't from it and should have only lost his memory of Parker. Likewise the team up at the end though I presume that's less of a sticking point than has been made out

Comment

Well in No Way Home (end spoiler)…

it didn’t seem to make a lick of sense that Tom Hardy was pulled in because he hadn’t even heard of Parker. And yet no sign of Topher Grace.

Having it consistent or make sense wasn’t high on the priority list.

Still, a great movie nonetheless.

Comment

Yep, for that they seem to be resting purely on the Venom: Let There Be Carnage post-credit scene where Venom mentions the symbiote race exists throughout the multiverse and can share the minds with itself across it. Him opening Eddie up to it is supposed to be what pulls them over but it's a huge, huuuuge coincidence of timing that seems purely intended to give Sony the MCU credentials it wanted and to ride Venom's popularity into the MCU explaining how that could lead to a crossover down the line.

Morbius's moment even feels out of place within the film it's in it's so odd and even shot differently

Comment

The idea of finally doing sinister six is great, and Sony really took advantage of Marvel Studios in that they promoted the bad guys in a way that Sony just can't.

This multiverse stuff will simply have plotholes. It's like time travel films, but with even more to think about.

Comment

Oh yes!!

Comment

I can’t wait for this one.

Comment

Does not disappoint, going to be awesome.

Comment

I didn't mind but wasn't won over entirely by Ragnarok, hoping this one benefits from its Guardians related inspiration

Comment

New posters:

Comment

Working...
                                X