No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being honest, I just plucked anything American from my head at random.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Symbol of freedom and McDonalds and so on.
      Lmao. Just chucking McDonald’s in there

Comment

Over a decade ago, filmmaker Sam Raimi was set to helm a fourth Tobey Maguire-led “Spider-Man” movie for Sony Pictures and at the time Black Cat, Vulture and Lizard were tipped as the villains in the mix. However the lingering feelings he had compromised with the third film, and Raimi not being happy with the […]

Raimi talks more about the cancelled Spider-Man 4 saying that regardless of Sony's plans to also write and make Spider-Man 5 and Spider-Man 6, he definitely wanted to make the fourth entry if only to make up for the quality dip experienced with Spider-Man 3 that had suffered at the hands of Sony meddling with his plans and direction. The start date demands though pushed things at a pace that he didn't feel the script was up to scratch enough and he didn't want to repeat the same experience so he advised Sony that they should defer to their alternate plan which is what led to The Amazing Spider-Man.

Comment

It'd pretty cool to get Toby to return and have a more mature spiderman

Comment

Went to see Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness yesterday:

It may be a sequel to the original with some strands between the two but this is very much it's own thing rather than a direct continuation. Kind of how The Suicide Squad was a sequel to Suicide Squad, this is a current era Marvel interpretation of the character seen through the lenses of Post-Endgame/No Way Home and Raimi. There's a lot of fun had with the characters and set up but it's also a narratively simple film in terms of approach too which means it doesn't land as strongly as Marvel's peak output. We've seen recent films put out like Eternals and Shang-Chi that attempt to alter up the tone or what not but this film is probably the most 'Marvel' of Marvel content they've put out since Endgame even if it does contain some of the traits of a Raimi film.

It's probably worth including as well that Marvel has allowed a certain through line of Raimi's prior output into this film so for those who might consider taking small children there are some moments that might not come across as friendy for their young eyes as MCM films usually are.

It's very much a decent entry, very different and more lively incarnation than the first film. The trailer, I'd say, is very true to what to expect from the full film so the appeal from that will likely hold true for the full film depending on what you felt from that.

In terms of moving into more spoilered territory (though I'll still avoid specifics or going much beyond what the trailers do to preserve the fun)

I was almost a little surprised that whilst a fair bit of fun goes on multiverse Strange there's a lot less fan pleasing cameo elements than the secrecy suggested there was. The trailers really do pretty much show most of it off.

The line up with Xavier is the main sequence and it didn't quite deliver the No Way Home moment for me. Two the characters were ones I imagine most would consider here nor there. Xavier was given up in the trailer and it's somewhat distracting at this point that Stewart is the age he is (and is also played in a way that means his Xavier is unrelated to the Fox films keeping them gated from the MCM even if it does bridge that mutants exist). The reveal before his though, I won't say who or the character but it felt like a clanger for me. Really hard to imagine the moment landed for most given not many outside core franchise fans would care about the character and whilst the casting has long been pushed for and speculated the actor really came across quite... clunky? Or at least not as well as most around them.

A certain callback character was the best and I'd happily see a whole film based on them.

I love that one brief shot kind of accidentally gives Sony license to crossover another film from their superhero portfolio as well without question around it too, I wonder if they'll bite

The villain - Well handled, very much one of the better ones in the franchise but I can see why some reviews have been less taken by it given it plays into the exact Disney content query/concern we've discussed before

Comment

I saw this today. It entertained me for a couple of hours so I guess you could say it did its job but I didn’t think it was great. Cumberbatch is always good to watch and what I did appreciate in individual moments was how Raimi just leaned into the gruesome and the horror sometimes. He really went for it in some moments. But the film these moments were happening in was largely a very generic Marvel set up and, for me, while those little horror moments were often great, the film didn’t really deliver on its title and the contrast between the story and those moments sometimes just flat out didn’t work for me, especially towards the end where we’re at a point where I should care about what’s going on but I’m just getting Raimi-isms thrown at me instead.

The America Chavez character was played brilliantly but the material was poor and she was essentially just an object. Could have just as easily been a magic stone or something. Speaking of which, way too many lines clunkily explaining made up nonsense. I know, I know. It’s Dr Strange. There just seemed to be so much of it.

The multiverse aspect was something I wasn’t sure about when it was announced for Spider-Man. I thought it would just be a distraction, like, look at this thing from those other movies you watched! I was totally wrong. Spider-Man was wonderful and it completely won me over. Nope, instead it was this movie that would do that. I suspect looking at NI’s spoilers that I must have missed a some references (not sure what the Sony reference is, for example) but the multiverse, in my view, worked in Spider-Man, worked in Loki too but just pulled me right out of the movie in this one.

Anyway, it was entertaining enough which I suppose is all it really had to do. But I was never fully engaged here.

Edit: oh they need to have a good think about some of the messaging here. Again.

Also commentary from the kids, contains spoilers:

That’s the most poorly edited eye I have ever seen. Is Mrs Britain in the comics? The Avatar trailer is the funniest thing we’ve seen in years.

Last edited by Dogg Thang; 07-05-2022, 19:46.

Comment

I saw Dr Strange MoM this afternoon and I really can't wait to go back and see it again.

I thought it was super.

I'll tell you what. I enjoyed No Way Home (even after spoilers) but, because I saw it at home, it was missing "something". The special effects weren't "special" enough. The sound wasn't meaty enough, the explosions not big enough. Seeing this on a huge screen, with crazy-loud sound and loads of other people really upped my enjoyment.

I loved the MCU cameos and Easter eggs but the real joy was seeing all the stuff that Raimi managed to get in.

Brilliant!!

Comment

I think the multiverse element in MoM was different than in No Way Home mostly because whilst Spider-Man used it to deliver some fanservice it also made sure to take the time to deliver character moments, progression and closure to different storylines and versions.

MoM is very much more heavily along the line of the Multiverse being a mcguffin itself just to show weird stuff. Thinking back on it the film would be really easy to largely tell unchanged without including the multiverse at all which is why I think in that regard it doesn't pay off the same.

Comment

Raimi Teases More "Darkman" Could Happen - Dark Horizons
                    Not MCM related but Raimi has said that Universal is working on Darkman 2 and he'd also love to take a go at The Shadow

Comment

Korean Doctor Strange looks mint!

Comment

She-Hulk Disney has revealed through its official UK website that Marvel Studios’ “She-Hulk” series will premiere on the Disney+ service on August 17th. The ten-episode comedy series sees Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) help his cousin, Jennifer Walters (Tatiana Maslany), when she needs an emergency blood transfusion and receives his powers too. [Source: Whats on Disney […]

She-Hulk will begin on Disney+ on 17 August 2022

Comment

Comment

Show looks good. Effects and animation look really weird.

Comment

Yep, I know Marvel CG can fluctuate a lot in quality but for the TV side this seems to be straining them a little and looks odd in many places. Maslaney will own this though

Comment

I don't reckon that's finished CG.

At least, I hope not ..

Comment

Working...
                                X