The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thor: Love and Thunder
    So, I went into this expecting the kind of humour Ragnarok had given it's the same crew so I didn't experience the same weird disconnect I had with that films tone this time. The film is 90 minutes long and straight up that is the single biggest problem the film has. It's both almost more comedic than Ragnarok and darker too and that would probably be manageable if the film didn't have quite a big editing issue. It flicks between the two like flicking a light switch and the film contains several interesting dark themed arcs that utterly fail to have any weight to them or emotional stake because the film affords them zero time to breathe or land. Some characters from other films come and go and you barely register them because it's so half arsed a cameo. The 80's metal theme is the same mistake they keep making too, being inspired by Guardians but there's zero context to it so it's just out of place stylization. It's very much a Phase 4 film, it's easy to watch with some nice moments but also undercooked and lacking the impact of the prior phase films.

One side note, we're 14 years in and Marvel needs to sort its villains out. L&T's is solid but under utilised and it's definitely a big issue that they still subscribe to the model of having a villain per film rather than a few with arching multi-film credible threatening presences like the heroes are.

Comment

As an aside, we're in a rare position now where nothing has been shown of future MCM films on the horizon.

On Saturday 23 June, Marvel will be holding a panel at Comic-Con where it's certain that a deeper look at She-Hulk will be shown along with the debut of the trailer for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Beyond that we may get some information or a look at Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

It's not expected that we'll get much beyond that unless another Disney+ series like Echo is discussed as in September Disney will be hosting D23 again where it's expected we'll get a full blow out of the rest of Phase 4 and the first information for Phase 5

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        So, I went into this expecting the kind of humour Ragnarok had given it's the same crew so I didn't experience the same weird disconnect I had with that films tone this time. The film is 90 minutes long and straight up that is the single biggest problem the film has. It's both almost more comedic than Ragnarok and darker too and that would probably be manageable if the film didn't have quite a big editing issue. It flicks between the two like flicking a light switch and the film contains several interesting dark themed arcs that utterly fail to have any weight to them or emotional stake because the film affords them zero time to breathe or land. Some characters from other films come and go and you barely register them because it's so half arsed a cameo. The 80's metal theme is the same mistake they keep making too, being inspired by Guardians but there's zero context to it so it's just out of place stylization. It's very much a Phase 4 film, it's easy to watch with some nice moments but also undercooked and lacking the impact of the prior phase films.

One side note, we're 14 years in and Marvel needs to sort its villains out. L&T's is solid but under utilised and it's definitely a big issue that they still subscribe to the model of having a villain per film rather than a few with arching multi-film credible threatening presences like the heroes are.
        Disagree on every level lol. It was brilliant. The humour is superb and that’s what I want because I can’t take these things seriously anyway. The story is the same as it ever was but how could it not be? There’s an antagonist and we know exactly why he’s the way he is and he poses a challenge because of reasons. More like this please!

Also it’s 2 hours

Comment

Is it? I could have sworn it was shorter. That's even worse then

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Disagree on every level lol. It was brilliant. The humour is superb and that’s what I want because I can’t take these things seriously anyway. The story is the same as it ever was but how could it not be? There’s an antagonist and we know exactly why he’s the way he is and he poses a challenge because of reasons. More like this please!

Also it’s 2 hours
            I've heard good things about this film and I'm excited to go see it tomorrow. As someone who is not a fan of 2.5-3hour+ long films in the cinema, I'm glad to see it's 2 hours long.

Comment

Alden Ehrenreich Joins Marvel's "Ironheart" - Dark Horizons
              Solo's Alden Ehrenreich has been cast in Disney+'s Ironheart

Comment

Spoiler for the finale of Ms Marvel

The closer just introduced mutant in the MCU. Doctor Strange 2 already dabbled but the new episode is the first occasion to explicitly establish at least one X-Men style mutant exists in the main Earth

Comment

Just watched Multiverse of madness.
                  Its a film of two half's. I suspect half the film was written and then Sam took over and the second half just went nuts. It's the second half I enjoyed a lot.

Comment

Daniel Kaluuya Out Of "Panther" Sequel - Dark Horizons
                    BP's bestie won't be making an appearance in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

Really think you have summed it up with this review Neon. I loved Ragnarok but this was all over the place. It wasn't funny at all, I think my son's Y6 end of year production had more original jokes. The melancholic parts didn't fit at all. Stage 4 Cancer lolz. The only saving grace was that we went to see this in 4DX and because of the heat the chairs stopped working 10 mins before the end so full refunds all-round. Phase 4 has been a massive disappointment after Infinity War, Endgame. Only enjoyed Spidey since those came out.

Comment

I’m not suffering from any fatigue or anything. But I am starting to get tired of the stand-alone stuff that seems to have no direction.

Ok, there are links and threads, but there’s no focus. I’m a huge fan - probably overlooking more failings than most others, for better or worse - but at the moment it just feels like everything lacks relevance and impact. Where are the stakes?

Comment

Out of the Phase 4ish stuff:

-Loki
                          -What If?
                          -Moon Knight
                          -Ms Marvel
                          -Avengers: Endgame
                          -Spider-Man: No Way Home
                          -Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
                          -Venom: Let There Be Carnage
                          -Morbius
                          -Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
                          -Thor: Love and Thunder

All to varying degrees link or show to the multiverse so Marvel seems dead set on establishing it as central to the next arc but definitely they've done a solid job at establishing it but not of marking out why it heightens the stakes rather than lowers them.

Madame Web has been delayed till 06 October 2023

Whilst an as yet untitled Sony MCU film has been delayed to 07 June 2024
                          I do wonder if this one is Spider-Man Homecoming 4 given the timing since No Way Home, maybe Venom 3

Comment

Likely 15 rated here

Despite it's timing and cast the Spider-Man series is not canon to the MCU

And a now deleted new story had it that Marvel has registered trademarks for new films:

Avengers: Secret Wars
                            and
                            Avengers: The Kang Dynasty
                            and
                            Captain America: New World Order
                            and
                            Thunderbolts

Comment

Official

Comment

Working...
                              X