Comment

Nov 08 2024 for Fantastic Four which will be the first film of Phase 06

Comment

Coming early 2024, Daredevil: Born Again - 18 ep season

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Feels like it all running out of steam. None of that excites me

Comment

I finally saw the new Thor yesterday. I didn’t think it was great. It was certainly funny in places and the goats were a highlight but the laughs didn’t always land and the desperate need to be constantly funny came at the expense of pretty much everything else in the movie. Some absolutely baffling tonal choices given the serious nature of what was happening in some of the scenes. It crossed the line over into parody and that didn’t always work.

The trailer for Wakanda Forever looks wonderful. I do wonder what the focus of the film is but I’m in just based on that trailer alone.

Comment

I haven’t seen it yet. I have very low expectations, because a number of people who are usually on my wavelength in terms of taste have given it a lukewarm reception, at best.

I really loved Ragnarok, but said at the time that the tone masked some really dark stuff, that in the hands of another director would have been very bleak. I fear that he’s tipped too far into the realm of trivialising heavy material here.

Comment

Black Panther was one of the most generic and forgettable MCU films, it's praise has always pretty much set aside how deeply meh and repetitive of prior films so much of it is but as someone who wasn't won over by the original... BP2 looks amazing. Really hope it lands and given it looks to cover air, land, water locations along with variety of action scenes and family drama following the issue the film has to address it stomps all over the similar pitched Avatar 2 trailer. Really looking spot on

Comment

I know you’re literally the only person on the planet who feels that way about Black Panther (turns out the only other one died early this year) but I feel like the Wakanda Forever trailer also illustrates why your view is not quite right. I think most other Marvel movies would have a seriously hard time presenting a direct sequel without the title character. Black Panther gave us such a rich world and such a compelling cast of characters that it’s very easy to see why this film could work.

Comment

I'm not a fan of BP either. It's certainly not the best Marvel film, not by a long way. The CGI is unfinished, the action scenes are clunky, the story isn't very compelling and I couldn't tell you anything about the villain.
                      It's got a good cast and it's directed well but that's all I can say really.

The sequel looks better though. And definitely the best of phase 4.

Comment

The main thing I'd say about Wakanda Forever at this point is it has a great trailer.

And what I mean by that is that (1) it's entertaining to watch, (2) it gets you hyped about the movie and, most critically, (3) it doesn't give the whole ****ing movie away.

I never saw Batman vs Superman in the cinema. That was because about a month before its launch, we went to see something else, and there was an "extended trailer presentation", which I swear was about 10 minutes long, and it was basically a supercut of the movie. I didn't need to see the movie afterwards!

Quite a few movies in recent years have made this same mistake. It's great to see a movie trailer which understands how this is supposed to work. That WF trailer leaves you with more questions than answers.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen Cassius and Neon in the same room? Nope. One person.

Rewatched Shang-Chi last night. First time out, I liked it. Second time, I liked it even more.

It’s a film that is highly-derivative in some respects. The village setting, in particular, can be rightly classified as cliched. Even the cinematography feels lifted from Black Panther. As could the contrast between the glitz and neon glamour of the big city compared to the lush, sparser greenery elsewhere. For vibranium, substitute dragons scales and magic. It’s very much a film in the mould of the franchise’s own paint by numbers design.

And yet… to hell with that. The new skin works for me. A lot. The ‘grey’ nature of the antagonist is beautifully played by Tony Leung. He’s not a villain, just a lovestruck fool. All the soul devourer stuff is tagged on, sure, but that doesn’t make up the bulk of the film. That stuff was ‘ok’ at best, but not the crippling end-ruiner that some have claimed. The visuals of the film in general were derivative, but I still found myself arrested by the gorgeousness of some of the shots.

Now let’s talk about the choreography. It’s Hong Kong lite, sure, but a cut above most other Western films. None of the Bourne shakeycam one-move-cut nonsense. The bus fight is genuinely excellent. You can see the hands of Brad Allen and Andy Cheng at work. The sequence is steeped in Asian filmmaking pedigree. The influence of Jackie Chan’s stunt team is everywhere, especially in the scaffolding fight. The forms and wuxia movements of Crouching Tiger and Hero are upfront and shown proudly. It’s a stunning-looking film and a real celebration of Asian cinema, in a watered down to present to Western audiences kinda way. Michelle Yeoh and Yuen Wah just top it off.

I’m biased because I’m into all that stuff. Although, it could have gone the other way. Some of my fellow fans are rather snooty about Shang Chi from a fight choreography perspective, bizarrely thinking that it would be The Raid in the Marvel Universe or something. That’s foolish. It’s a celebration of 60 years of Hong Kong filmmaking set at an entry-level standard for unfamiliar audiences. Did they strike the right balance? Well, the person I was watching it with is a fan of all MCU films, but said beforehand that they ‘didn’t like all the dragons and martial arts and stuff.’ The verdict afterwards? ‘That was great, I enjoyed that.’ They seemed to genuinely like the way all the things they ‘didn’t like’ were handled.

It’s a shame we lost Brad Allen because he was someone who could bring Asian choreography into Hollywood with skill and panache. I’d happily say that Shang Chi is a mid-level MCU entry, but with several factors that make it more than just average.
                          Last edited by prinnysquad; 25-07-2022, 07:22.

Comment

For me, it’s easily the best of the recent Marvel movies which, generally, have been a mixed bag and forgettable at best. I must give it a rewatch.

Comment

It’s fascinating. Without the straitjacket of building towards a Big Bad Mega Event, directors seem to have had more freedom just to arse around. Or, so claimed an article I read the other day. This lack of focus should, in theory, lead to less of ‘more of the same’. Turns out, more of the same is what is perhaps needed. In contrast to Cassius, the presence of a double-headed Avengers event has excited me. It’s gives the phases an increasing sense of structure, and hopefully, a head of steam will build.

Shang Chi is my favourite of the phase, and it’s no coincidence that’s it’s the most traditional of the bunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X