The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    She's completely different though. That was the point. She didn't have to go through that. I'm not sure about the full comics history but, from what I saw in comics back when I was younger, she didn't have to deal with that stuff there either.
    Ah, I haven’t read the comics. As I say, I don’t have a problem with it. Just feels… convenient.

Comment

Thanks to the scene where Jessica describes being harassed by men, She-Hulk has been review bombed into being Marvels lowest rated show

Comment

A lot of men are a special kind of fragile idiot.

Comment

It's Ghostbusters all over again.

If it's being bombed because it's a woman in the lead then that's a special kind of stupid.
          But I personally think the show looks ****, actress or no actress, and that's a legitimate reason to review it poorly. It's important to keep the two separate, because having a female in the lead role shouldn't be a shield.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            It's Ghostbusters all over again.

If it's being bombed because it's a woman in the lead then that's a special kind of stupid.
            But I personally think the show looks ****, actress or no actress, and that's a legitimate reason to review it poorly. It's important to keep the two separate, because having a female in the lead role shouldn't be a shield.
            You only have to take a very quick look to know that's not what is happening here. People not liking stuff is completely different to when a show gets review bombed with the lowest possible scores. And when it comes to Marvel, it's very easy to spot the pattern when it happens.

Also, I've seen the first episode and it's excellent. So far, only positive responses here.

Comment

With Ghostbusters - to nervously dip toes back into that water again - you had that group that was always going to be openly anti-women but much of the initial dislike was also a mixture of Sony openly catfishing fans who had waited decades for a sequel with that initial reveal and also that the appointment of Feige meant that not only was the direction of the film clear and unpopular but also led to an immediate belief Sony was badly handling it. That combination of elements made it something that had attention thanks to it coming back after so long and the form it was doing so under and to be fair the final film almost entirely bears out the early concerns.

However, the media gave it a heavy focus and the anti-women posters were able to effectively take over the narrative. Even today, when referenced, it's how it's hated because of the female cast but that's a skewed response that oversimplifies the objections. There is 100% a group that hates it simply by virtue of casting women but it's also disliked for numerous reasons such as the plot, humour, tone, casting (as in who was specifically cast as the issue rather than it being all-female).

With She-Hulk it's much more pointed. It's a literal established female character performed on point in the fan pleasing context in an episode that was well received too. The literal only reason to hate on it is because of a hatred of women which shows how despite the perception GB 2016 is raised in these days, these online review trolls don't even hide behind broader debate anymore. With Marvel of late it feels like the pushback against the more recent characters is an extra layer of toxic.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                With Ghostbusters - to nervously dip toes back into that water again

I get what Cassius is saying here, I think. The idiots shouting it down tar anyone who dislikes it with a reasonable opinion. I got a lot of flak for saying I wasn't a fan, with people suggesting I just don't find women funny, whereas I've absolutely loved numerous other movies like SPY and Bridesmaids which featured members of the same cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

I get what Cassius is saying here, I think.
                  And yet while not completely inaccurate to some extent when it comes to Ghostbusters, it is absolutely not what's happening here.

Comment

Yep, I could very happily have Ghostbusters 4 introduce an all-female cast and in my head can easily imagine actresses perfect for it but the difference is that the film we'd now get wouldn't be a candy coloured slapstick-fest with a dance number and protracted bad improv sequences... well... it's still Sony so I guess that's always a possibility... and them turning it into a Cinematic Universe too...

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      You only have to take a very quick look to know that's not what is happening here. People not liking stuff is completely different to when a show gets review bombed with the lowest possible scores. And when it comes to Marvel, it's very easy to spot the pattern when it happens.

Also, I've seen the first episode and it's excellent. So far, only positive responses here.
                      Yeah I've looked it up. Some complete bone heads out there.

The trailer made it look terrible, and good reviews are seemingly hard to come by. Maybe I'll check it out. Maybe.

Comment

Second ep in and we enjoyed it, not quite as much but it was a really short one for some reason and I've read that the first ep was originally intended to be the 8th ep which may explain some of the quirks. It's good to see so much of Incredible Hulk being referenced though

Also... this is already causing waves... look for it...

Comment

Wrong thread

Comment

"WandaVision" Helmer In Talks For "Fantastic 4" - Dark Horizons

Comment

The trailers for she hill made me not want to bother but I trust yous guys so we’re gonna give it a go!

Comment

I really loved the second episode of She-Hulk too but the really short episodes at one a week are tough to take in this day and age. It's over so quickly and quite a wait for the next episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X