The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    With the Space stone, Thanos could travel back to exactly the same point he was transported from.
    Ooooh, what about Time? Teleport him back to Jesus times, maaan.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
      Ooooh, what about Time? Teleport him back to Jesus times, maaan.
      The movie suggests that the Time Stone's powers are limited to the immediate area around the wearer, and only cover the rough time that they were present in that location. Or at least it has to be something like that or it's a colossal "I WIN" button.

Comment

A few people in here talking about the ending:

I don't get the disappointment that some people turned to dust (in the wind, dude) will return.
        Firstly, it's not real, it's fantasy and people can come and go for dramatic reasons and that's fine.
        Second, we all know Disney aren't going to kill of characters that made millions of dollars in their own films or they spent years trying to reacquire the rights to.
        Finally, I don't think it lessens the impact of this film in the same way you can't say Empire Strikes Back is rubbish because Ewoks followed.

In other news, Thanos is crazy powerful in the comics. Literally NOBODY could beat him in a recent run. I don't know why he needs the Gauntlet, tbh.

You can read the recent King Thanos storyline via YouTube:

Comment

I guess part of the issue is that there have been 18 films and...

not a single main character death has stuck. We've had at least five significant character death scenes, if not more, and they've all come back to life either in the movie itself or afterwards. When the stories are built on threat and danger, it starts to become a problem when not only can any death be undone but every one has already. It cheapens the storytelling so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some weight in the storytelling and that requires committing to a threat when you write one in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            I guess part of the issue is that there have been 18 films and...

not a single main character death has stuck. We've had at least five significant character death scenes, if not more, and they've all come back to life either in the movie itself or afterwards. When the stories are built on threat and danger, it starts to become a problem when not only can any death be undone but every one has already. It cheapens the storytelling so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some weight in the storytelling and that requires committing to a threat when you write one in.
            Gotta admit, I wasn't too pleased with how quickly they've brushed aside what happened to War Machine in Civil War. When he fell out of the sky in that movie I thought it was game over for him, and in honesty, although I really like War Machine (I always have, since watching Iron Man cartoons as a kid) it says something that they're not even willing to kill off a relatively low-key character.

Comment

Yeah that was poor not only because they didn't commit to any real consequences but, in a battle where they were hitting each other for ages, they didn't even commit to the one injury being one that happened on purpose. They made it an accident.

Comment

When Superman died, it was an international news story. It made people go out an buy comics. DC admitted that that was their whole plan.

Since then, it's been tougher to accept deaths without a pinch of salt and you're normally wondering how they'll bring them back again.

It's easier to accept characters coming back from the dead in comic book movies than the likes of Bobby Ewing and Dirty Den and I'm pleased this is all being planned out, rather than retconning them back in.

However, I agree that not killing one of the replaceable B-List characters is a mistake, let alone a A-List one.
                A death would have more gravitas if it was more permanent.

Infinity War:

It will be interesting to see, when they resolve the Thanos storyline, just which deaths they undo.
                I'm thinking everyone

pre-glove will stay dead (Loki, Gamora, Heimdall, the Ragnarok crew (although Joe Russo says Valkyrie and some other escaped Thanos at the start), The Collector and Vision (maybe).

Last edited by QualityChimp; 04-05-2018, 13:03.

Comment

My speculation is that (Infinity War spoiler obvs)...

Gamora will be undone and the only current deaths that will stick will be Heimdall and Loki and, even then, I can see Loki being resurrected yet again down the line leaving only poor Heimdall actually dead. The Collector might well be dead but he's barely C-list. I'd say we'll see Vision back.

Comment

Based on their current inability to commit to death being death, I think you're probably right.

I was genuinely expecting the death of a big character, played by an actor who has been doing Marvel films for ten years or maybe has expressed a desire to do some directing.

This was when it was going to be two parts and I thought they'd want a big cliffhanger between films.

Comment

I reckon we will probably see that in the next movie - a character retired.

I did have one theory for the end of Infinity War that has been shown to be false already but it's possible things could still lead to a similar situation which was:

that everyone who faded away to dust, which includes people we know are getting new movies, are actually the ones saved and the rest, which is mostly the old team, are the ones who are dead. We know from set photos that it's not that simple but it's still possible that the end result will be a flip and the other 50% will be the ones to finish the next movie dead.

Comment

The main trick with Avengers 4, especially coming off the release of Infinity War, is that there's been clear evidence of last minute changes they'll no doubt be doing to the next film before release too so they can still teak to try and catch the right wind.

I'm all behind the notion that Gamora and Vision will return, Gamora in the next film (likely spoiled when Guardians 3 starts filming in the coming months) and Vision down the line as he rebuilds his mind from the data taken in Wakanda during the attempt to save him. Hulk I imagine is pretty safe, they won't want to wipe too many legacy heroes out especially one as easy to drop in and out as he is currently (especially if they ever want to properly utilise further Hulk canon), Thor seems safe given the keenness for all involved to follow up on Ragnarok, Black Widow safe, Ant Man, Strange, Panther all safe. Hawkeye could easily buy it but again small fry.

Pretty much the same as before Infinity War you're really only looking at two options. Iron Man or Captain America.

A lot depends on how A4 unfolds. Marvel really has no reason to keep Iron Man going, popular though he is the films follow a loose real time timeline so both Downey Jr and Stark are getting older and Downey Jr costs them an insane amount to use, an amount they no longer need to pay to ensure the box office. They get a bigger slice, a key moment and he gets a worthy send off. Cap, it's possible and Evans has show some interest in stepping away, but narratively I feel it would lack weight and if A4 mirrors Infinity War it'd be a poor send off as he was hugely underserved in the new film. Hell, he's been sold short to an extent since Winter Soldier, acting as a crutch for other characters arcs, he needs a full rise and frankly a 'true' extra solo movie before bowing out in something more akin to the comics.

I'd expect Marvel to find ways of recasting a reviving characters over the years but with Strange, Ant Man, Panther, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, Widow etc in the works they have a real chance to not do the obvious revival in the very next movie and to make the events in these film matter but based on IW I think it just dampened things that it's all to obvious that no matter who dies in the next one (even permanently) the cop out was so easily established).

It's true that it happens a lot in the genre but it's key that a fair chunk of the audience either believes it at the time or at least can see some worthwhile arc to it. For all the DCU's fault's Superman's death served a narrative purpose, we'll have to wait and see whether they can make the UnSnappening have the same

Also, Infinity War should pass the $1bn mark by tomorrow night, the fastest of all time to do so. Half the time Force Awakens took.

Comment

Just finished watching this.

Stunning. Utterly phenomenal.

I. Did. Not. Cry!!! Honest.......

Comment

I wasn’t disappointed by IW. In fact, it beat my expectations. Makes up for the disappointment of Age of Ultron, easily so.

Comment

There are some fun memes for this.
                              Spoilers, obviously:

Comment

Ive just tried a bit of skim reading to see if the consensus is positive as we're seeing this at seven. Thanks for spoilering everything!

Comment

Working...
                                X