• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New poster for Captain Marvel

Comment

Marvel is said to be developing a Shang-Chi movie

Comment

The decision last week by Netflix to cancel “Marvel’s Daredevil” surprised many of those actually involved in the show – not just the stars or writers, but even Marvel executives themselves. Speaking with Gizmodo, series writer Tamara Becher-Wilkinson says: “If I was a betting woman, you know, my guess is that it’s the end of […]

The showrunners have said they were shocked Daredevil was axed despite the chopping of Iron Fist and Luke Cage. The main thing is the small details of how the deal to make the shows works too, all the shows are locked hard to Netflix and so will remain on the service effectively indefinitely. As such there is no room for Disney to revive them without a heavy retool to mark them out as new incarnations and without any direct control of the original series it's expected, as Disney is expected to at least one day make use of Daredevil, we will see the first MCU canon retcon with the Netflix shows down the line.

Comment

Second trailer for Captain Marvel:

Comment

Looks pretty nice but, at the risk of sounding like a former member here, I get this weird US war vibe just from the trailer that I hope is given better context in the movie. A war. Two sides. One is good, one is evil. The good guys look like us, the bad guys look different to us but, aside from that, we're given no other difference.

Comment

Looking on other boards opinion seems very mixed on it but I liked this trailer more than the first one. I don't have much knowledge of this Cap but I know she's a mixed popularity character and they've cut several traits for the film like they did with Tony when they moved to film with that character, maybe that's fuelling some indifference as a chunk of it looks your standard Marvel fare but hopefully the 'Superman' elements with the space battle etc is as decent as it looks and it's easy to see how she's set up to be the new central figure of the MCU in Phase 4 as she'd floor most of the existing heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                it's easy to see how she's set up to be the new central figure of the MCU in Phase 4 as she'd floor most of the existing heroes.
                OK, gonna call it:

She'll have 2 films, and at the end of the 2nd, she'll end up in a coma...

... because Rogue from the X-Men almost kills her by touching her.

This is one of the origins of Rogue's character (in one of the X-Men continuities) which was to explain her slightly weird mix of powers.

... and this will be how they start off the X-Men in the MCU.

Comment

The X-Men angle is going to be fascinating as there's no way of doing it without either retconning most of the MCU (which they won't do) or having mutants be a mostly 'secretly living amongst us' element of society that emerges and needs to be woven in backwards (lots of prequels but also lots of Fox retread)

Comment

The X-Men angle is going to be fascinating as there's no way of doing it without either retconning most of the MCU (which they won't do) or having mutants be a mostly 'secretly living amongst us' element of society that emerges and needs to be woven in backwards (lots of prequels but also lots of Fox retread)
                    Not sure why you say that - I mean part of the whole point of the X-Men is kids, in large numbers, suddenly start becoming mutants (i.e. experiencing spontaneous mutation). When this happens, people discover that mutants have actually existed for centuries in secret, and this event brings them out into the open. This is no different to how in the real world, we have legends of werewolves and vampires; if kids started becoming mutants tomorrow, we'd probably assume a bunch of those legends are actually true.

Comment

Aah, I get you more now. My knowledge is too based on the Fox canon which has mutants as a barely kept secret to begin with

Comment

Yeah but that's mostly because the Fox 'canon' is all over the place. The mutants seemed to be far less prevalent in the first X-Men, as if it's a pretty recent thing and Professor X was mostly under the radar. That changed in First Class and the films from there. I think the MCU can start pretty much from scratch with that same thing: there were mutants under the radar, there are now many more and Prof X is hiding them out in a school.

Comment

I wonder if Marvel would go bold and avoid the popular X-Men initially then. Jumping in with the likes of Wolverine would be hard without some context to his whereabouts which would give us a fourth telling of his origins in some ways whereas new mutants would further delay any connective tissue with the still wrapping up Fox era movies, they could always tease stuff like Magneto via Scarlet Witch backstory

Comment

My guess is that they'll go pretty much the exact same route as they did with Spider-Man. They know people know the character now and have the base established already so all they need to do is make it their own better Wolverine. We need little by way of origin for many of the X-Men. It's mostly the mutant concept itself that needs establishing in the context of the world they have. I wouldn't be surprised if the X-Men just turn up at some point already together and established.

Comment

I wonder if Marvel would go bold and avoid the popular X-Men initially then. Jumping in with the likes of Wolverine would be hard without some context to his whereabouts which would give us a fourth telling of his origins in some ways whereas new mutants would further delay any connective tissue with the still wrapping up Fox era movies, they could always tease stuff like Magneto via Scarlet Witch backstory
                              Well yeah; they could retroactively clarify the origin of the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. They were intentionally vague when they were introduced; they referred to them as "enhanced humans", but they could easily say that Hydra managed to "awaken their X-gene" sooner than whatever causes the rest of the population to begin to exhibit mutations (that could even be a side-effect of whatever they do to reverse the actions of Thanos).

This would potentially lead them to a multi-faceted story that builds up to one of the big X-Men villains, like Apocalypse or Onslaught.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              My guess is that they'll go pretty much the exact same route as they did with Spider-Man. They know people know the character now and have the base established already so all they need to do is make it their own better Wolverine. We need little by way of origin for many of the X-Men. It's mostly the mutant concept itself that needs establishing in the context of the world they have. I wouldn't be surprised if the X-Men just turn up at some point already together and established.
                              If I were Marvel, I'd be hesitant about Wolverine. I think the character is somewhat played-out at this point. Personally I would go with Shadowcat, or someone of that nature; someone who is a known quantity but has never led a movie (after the changes they made to Days of Future Past).

Structurally, the original X-Men movie was pretty good as an origin for the team, as it reworked Rogue as a young stranger who meets them after they're already established and doing their thing. I think that'd work well. Homecoming kinda proved you could accelerate this and just assume people know the general gist of who the characters are.

In fact, origin stories are a problem. I mean think about it; did we get an origin story for Han Solo?

(Oh wait, we did?)

OK well back when Star Wars was better, did we get an origin story for Han Solo? No; we just accepted him at face value. It was fine.
                              Last edited by Asura; 04-12-2018, 13:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                If I were Marvel, I'd be hesitant about Wolverine. I think the character is somewhat played-out at this point.
                                I felt the very same about Spider-Man. I wanted something different like Miles Morales or whoever. But they gave us Parker and they did it really well and I loved it. I imagine we'll see Wolverine the second the X-Men are introduced but what I fully expect is much more of an equal team dynamic, which is something the X-Men films weren't good at whatsoever and yet Marvel did really well with Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. That's why my feeling is that we'll be introduced to the X-Men as a formed team, not through single characters like the X-Men movie did.

Comment

Working...
                                X