No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After several months of searching, Marvel Studios is reportedly in negotiations with filmmaker Bassam Tariq (“Mogul Mowgli”) to direct the new “Blade” movie starring Mahershala Ali as the titular vampire hunting Daywalker. Feige, Ali and execs reportedly met with dozens of candidates going all the way back to last Fall. Those that made the final […]

Director Bassam Tariq is in talks to helm Blade

Comment

Back in the early 2000s, the genre film scene had two successful R-rated film franchises involving vampires, lots of black leather or latex, and a whole bunch of blue filter – the Wesley Snipes-led “Blade” and the Kate Beckinsale-led “Underworld”. Both franchises are done and dusted now, though both its stars are still working with […]

Kate Beckinsale has revealed that plans were being discussed to make Underworld VI as a crossover with Wesley Snipes incarnation of Blade but Marvel intervened and shut it down due to planning their own upcoming reboot of that property.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        https://www.darkhorizons.com/marvel-...rld-crossover/
        Kate Beckinsale has revealed that plans were being discussed to make Underworld VI as a crossover with Wesley Snipes incarnation of Blade but Marvel intervened and shut it down due to planning their own upcoming reboot of that property.
        Ooof, I can't imagine that would've been any good. I think both of those are franchises with good first movies and successively worse sequels.

Comment

Just watched Wandavision straight through.

I appreciated the set up of the first three episodes. The period design, in-context theme tunes and technical additions were all superb. However, the only way I got through them was by reminding myself that it was, A) Marvel, and B) that twists and reveals were around every corner.

Once it opened up, I loved it. I loved the way the little touches all made sense. Such as the way it lured you into thinking that

Vision was the reassembled zombie, but in reality he was a creation of the part of the mind stone that gave Wanda her powers. I liked the Agatha reveal. I liked the reasoning behind the sitcom creation.

It was all just so well put together, and compelling.

Massive kudos to Marvel Studios for creating such an offbeat, brave effort. They could afford the risk, but they didn’t have to take it. It’s an essentially throwaway series, but it’s nice to be given a few hours with a character who wouldn’t get her own film, and has only been a periphery hero until now. It fleshed her out nicely.

Comment

Smashed through The Falcon and The Winter Soldier in two nights.

Due to the lack of Disney Plus, it’s essentially been a couple of years since Endgame and Far From Home. I was burnt out, but happily burnt out. A started to get pangs a couple of months ago to rewatch the first 3 phases. Then, I had the offer to piggyback someone’s Disney Plus sub. Perfect. I don’t feel burnt out anymore. There’s a tentative wave of enthusiasm starting, and I’m surfing the bally thing.

For me, this was another great series. What others have seen as weaknesses, I see as good things. And what others see as good things, I also see as good things.

I totally get what people say about the whole ‘relinquishing of the Cap role’ by Sam as a step back. That had to happen, though. If it wasn’t addressed, then there’d be comments about how unrealistic is was. ‘Someone else taking over who isn’t serumed up? Someone taking over the role just like *clicks fingers* that? Would the world accept it? Wouldn’t skin colour be an issue? Wouldn’t one of Cap’s mates taking over the role make the burden feel too much?’ These would rightfully be asked. The series explored that, and I’m glad they didn’t use a Cap film doing it. A tv series was the right vessel.

It was also nice to see the exploration of what it means to be Captain America. It was never about the serum. It was about the personality. Steve Rogers was a physical wimp, but had the heart of a lion. John Walker had all the military background and physical attributes needed, but he didn’t have the moral compass. He put getting the job done above the method. It took Sam the whole series to realise that the role of Cap wasn’t about replacing Steve. It was about having that moral compass. The ability to see nuance and empathise. It is a storyline that makes sense in that universe. There would be a clamour for a juiced-up boss to take the shield. Steve knew it wasn’t about that.

Again, we have a series adding layers to periphery characters, and dealing with their issues. The Winter Soldier trying to finally find a way to accept his past. The impact of Sharon Carter’s actions in Civil War (dunno what it is about her, but she’s a total

WAD

). Baron Zemo’s situation (Bruhl was excellent in this).

We had reference to old threads. Did anyone try to replicate the Erskine serum? Well, yes, they did. Did the Blip have an easy fallout? No, it didn’t. I recall Neon saying earlier in this thread that it was all too easily brushed aside. This series dealt with that issue.

I really, really liked the character development between the two leads. A good series. Another winner from Marvel.
            Last edited by prinnysquad; 25-07-2021, 09:02.

Comment

I've heard varying opinions for these two series but after watching Loki I will give them a shot. Your mini reviews above have also helped with convincing me to make a start on one of them this afternoon once I get back home.

Comment

I loved WandaVision, even though I’ve seen very few of the Marvel films and probably missed out of some story elements and references as a result. I’m okay with that as long as these shows can work independently. Im probably going to try Loki next.

Comment

The

Blip is something I still feel is underplayed. Falcon does definitely explore it the most but outside of its own elements it's very restrained to just a small section of Endgame and a throwaway joke in Far From Home. I would have probably liked a D+ series to be set during that point in time - hell, Black Widow or similar could have shown it too - given it's a such a major affecting period that gets not much more than throw away lines and a terrible-terrible name.

Realistically though I'd have just had Infinity War and Endgame be an entire phase apart from each other

Comment

I hear what you’re saying, but how much time would you want spent on it? Without it becoming some kind of dull documentary?

Are Marvel films going to spend a lot of time detailing the civil unrest and social issues? I’m not really interested hearing too much about the political factions springing from the logistical nightmare of having 3.5 billion people returned in an instant. Falcon/WS spent about 4 hours referring to the chaos it wrought. The whole Karli storyline was about it. Sharon filled a power vacuum because of it. That’s enough for me. It may be referenced in future films to varying degrees, like Homecoming referenced the clean-up jobs of New York. But I don’t think there’s a lot of mileage in addressing its complexities too much. It’ll get in the way of the build up to the next Big Bad.

Comment

I wouldn't have them delve into nitty gritty politics etc but it would have been a nice natural extension of the direction Age of Ultron was taking the series in (and Civil War) that the Avengers lived for five years in a world where the entire world would turn their sights to them both in terms of having faced a threat that proved they were needed and also that they failed against. It's a natural continuation of things the saga had previously more lightly delved into and could have built Endgame up more towards being a gruelling culmination of a journey to redemption for them rather than a hasty retcon based on a convenient mcguffin

Comment

If I’m reading that right, are you saying that Infinity War and Endgame should have bookended an entire phase? I can’t see that being satisfying to anyone. It’s an awful lot of padding to get to an arc finale 20 films down the line. How much mileage could you actually get out of a sequence of films looking at the new acceptance of superheroes in a post-Sokovia world, and the tacit admission that they failed anyway? Apologies if I’ve mis-read, but that really would entail an awful lot of needless dragging out.

Comment

In essence though I wouldn't have made it the central focus of the films, more an element of the backdrop. It would have been a way of more organically weaving things in so for example Captain Marvel 2 could have better framed her connection with the modern cast and her return when needed (and why she was AWOL in Infinity War), Hulks progression into Banner Hulk, Ant-Man's quantum realm discovery (instead of leaning on a post-credits stinger) etc bearing in mind Phase 4 begins and ends in just 12 months so there wouldn't have been a need for Endgame to release years later than IW. Instead though the films we got (and still are) are all Civil War time period set.

Comment

I dunno, man. I see what you’re saying and there are definitely stories from the period untold. But the build up to the Snap and its resolution might have been a real drag if we had to sit through multiple films tween them. It wouldn’t have maintained its head of steam. IW and Endgame were originally meant to be a two parter. You can’t really bookend the parts without a massive portion of the audience saying, ‘Enough. Get it sorted.’ It just comes across as padding it out. Say a Captain Marvel film was set between IW and Endgame. I’m not sure how enjoyable it would be when hankering after the resolution. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I thought Phase 4 lasted from 2021 to 2023.

In other news, I’m struggling with Loki a little. It feels like Legends of Tomorrow or something. I’m only two episodes in and will, of course, see it to the conclusion. It just hasn’t grabbed me.
                            Last edited by prinnysquad; 26-07-2021, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              It wouldn’t have maintained its head of steam. IW and Endgame were originally meant to be a two parter.
                              I think part of the problem is that they weren't; I seem to remember they were originally conceived as one movie, then it was Infinity War: Part 1 and Infinity War: Part 2, then it was an "unnamed sequel" for a while and then Endgame. The two-parter thing came in development, though I'm unsure when that was.

Point is, I guess, that even though they're two movies, they were always conceived as a back-to-back thing, rather than something which would go further apart with more stuff in-between.

It's hard to know how this would've worked in an alternate universe where it was conceived this way from the outset. The build-up might've been a lot different.

Comment

Yes I believe you’re right. It was originally a single film, then a back to back two parter.

Comment

Working...
                                X