The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    in a keeping-it-at-arm’s-length-to-avoid-hype way.
    Just the result every marketing department dreams of.

Comment

It’s Zen-style mental discipline, man. I ruined Ultron through a lack of control. I’ve never made that mistake since. Each trailer gets one watch, and that’s it. This one spoofs my jocks a lot more than most Marvel ones have recently.

Comment

Comedian, actor and screenwriter Yassir Lester (“Making History”) has been set as head writer for Marvel Studios’ “Armor Wars” series which sees Don Cheadle reprising his Col. Jim ‘Rhodey’ Rhodes/War Machine role. Lester and Cheadle previously worked together on Showtime’s comedy “Black Monday” which starred Cheadle and had Lester as one of the main writers […]

Yassir Lester has been set to run Armour Wars, the Don Cheadle led series for Disney+ which will see War Machine battling against Stark's feared scenario of having armour tech fall into the wrong hands.

Disney has launched the next salvo in the Scarlet Johansson salary lawsuit topic according to filings which were sent in near midnight on Friday evening in Los Angeles Superior Court. According to THR, Disney has demanded that Scarlett Johansson’s suit over her “Black Widow” pay be moved to arbitration. The company has also revealed that […]

Disney is also stepping up its aggression with Johansson by revealing that Black Widow was released at over 9,000 cinema's and has earnt $365m at the box office and a further $125m in streaming and download receipts for a total of $490m. It's interesting as it used by Disney to try and demonstrate that their handling of the film met the criteria of the contract with the actress and also because if streaming is drawing box office away it highlights that the earnings might be bigger margins for the studios but they don't make up the shortfall of skipping it either.

Comment

Out doing early promotional interviews for the upcoming “Shang-Chi” movie, Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige has offered some brief updates on where some other projects in the early stages at Marvel Studios currently stand. First up, “Loki”. The only one of the company’s new MCU-connected live-action shows so far to have been confirmed for a second […]

Feige has been sharing some info again and three projects have come up with updates:

Loki: Season 02 - He says they're aiming to have as many of the same team involved as they can but filming won't begin till sometime far into 2022/2023 meaning it's likely a late 2023 release in any scenario

Avengers 5 - He says they want there to have been a considerable amount of time to have passed between the release of Endgame and the next entry meaning it's very far down the road.

Deadpool 3 - He finishes by saying writing is fully at work now and they have a loose release window targeted for the next film.

Comment

A leaked set image has emerged for one of this years remaining MCU movies. It's potato quality, which I can't believe is still a thing, but supposedly it's genuine and ma-hoo-sive spoiler warning goes with it so steer clear if you want your 2021 MCU plate clean:

Comment

It could well be wrong as these things often are but rumours are that the trailer will officially be released within the next 3-4 hours for Spider-Man: No Way Home

Comment

They were not wrong.

Comment

Really nitpicky but it immediately irritates me that the casual outfit he's wearing makes no sense with the costume

Still:

It still says a lot that the most exciting thing about Hollands third film and sixth appearance is the return of those from before his era. I'm still waiting for the final... final ultimate confirmation that it's accurately the case but I look forward to adding several more films to the OP and seeing the addition of a new top tier film to the MCU canon.... Spider-Man 2.

Comment

Not MCU for reasons already stated. By definition in the story, they would very specifically be non-MCU. That’s the very concept here. The characters would be brought in for their brief appearances in this movie but, unless otherwise stated, the movies wouldn’t be.

Comment

That's the catch though, the MCU now spans a multitude of timelines and variants and we're increasingly going to have those appear in the films and series moving forward and impact what's happening. This film brings in around 10 characters from other timeline variants and if the plotting that is proposed (and leaks so far have been confirmed on a regular basis so seems set) the new film will feature scenes from those currently non-MCU movies and the characters that cross into this will be permanently staying in many instances also. This entry won't be a cameo or an 'it's all undone at the end' job like we normally see where things are glorified cameo's, this is literally SM1-3 and ASM1-2 characters and events directly being involved in the existing MCU and its storyline.

Comment

In terms of crossover, if the rumours are true there will also be:

Matt Murdock and Kingpin using the same actors as the Netflix series though it's said to be brief and with those I lean heavily to it being new incarnations of the characters using the same actors rather than reconnecting the shows to the canon. The character uses and casting would have to come via Disney and I can't see Disney leaning hard on shows that are 100% owned forever more by Netflix. Easier to take a popular casting choice and cash in with creative freedom

Comment

Hot on the heels of a several week delay from September to mid-October, Sony Pictures is now reportedly considering delaying “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” until January 21st 2022. Vulture broke the news, quoting multiple inside sources indicating that the studio is reconsidering releasing the film in October in the wake of several weeks of […]

Sony is said to be on the verge again of delaying Venom: Let There Be Carnage from its current mid-October release slot to 22 January 2022
                          If the film moves then it will force Morbius to also delay till further into the new year.

For a little while now, Sony Pictures has been using the moniker “Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters” (SPUMC) for the various Marvel films under its purview like “Venom” and the upcoming “Morbius”. Well, now that name is getting a refresh with the company now shortening it to the new name of “Sony’s Spider-Man Universe” […]

And Sony is no longer going to project its SPUMC all over cinema screens before audiences very eyes, you may not like it but they now plan to SSU everything instead. Yes, clearly cottoning on to the joke they've renamed the way they refer to their own production additions to the MCU which they will refer to moving forward as Sony's Spider-Man Universe.

Comment

The No Way Home trailer once again hammers home how much of a gift this deal has been for Sony. They had pretty much nothing to lose and seemed to have gained everything with it. It will be interesting to see if there is a new deal hammered out. Total probably unlikely speculation on my part but I wonder if there is a chance Marvel will get a deal to use Tom Holland's Spider-Man separately while he gets locked out of Sony's own universe, with them now free to either bring in classic actors or reboot the character within their own universe.

Comment

Yep, the furore the other year about contracts told both studios that a vocal enough fanbase wants the set up to continue but I'm expecting No Way Home and Madness in the Multiverse to 1-2 Holland's Spider-Man's crossover action for the time being and his Spider-Man to tap out for a while. I'm kind of expecting Sony to galvanise plans for a fourth entry very quickly and it to be the film where Spider-Man faces Venom/Morbius whilst Marvel focuses on its own stuff for a while. Feels like they're reaching a peak point to branch off, do what they want to do and then build the moment up again of having Spider-Man merge back into the action in something like Avengers 5.

I'm curious of how Sony perceives the reaction to the Maguire/Garfield situation though. In essence it's a cool one time event but this is a door being opened that means it would be very easy to cash in on its appeal and Sony is absolutely all over branch off projects. I don't know if making a Garfield led continuation is worthwhile as it's the incarnation with the least fanbase, the weakest jumping point given the box office drop and least distinction from the other two versions.

However, the money on the table to have Raimi come in after Doctor Strange 2 and revive the Maguire Spider-Man 4 project, given this hype and for all its detraction $1bn status pre-MCU for Spider-Man 3 is something that must rattle through their heads at some point.

Comment

If they really have free reign of what they do next (who knows what creative is tied up in the deals behind the scenes), from the reaction of the trailer to this new movie, it would seem nuts not to take advantage of the pre-existing work. As we've said, the timing is exactly right for that Tobey Maguire cryface nostalgia and he has always been a good enough actor to hold a movie. And older Spider-Man could actually be very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X