Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Wow, that's a pretty short movie. I mean credits and post are what, 10-15 minutes? And with an opening preamble probably about 10 minutes long, that leaves only around an hour.

Now, there's nothing that says a longer movie is better. It's known that Pacific Rim was cut down, during its painful pre-pro, from a 3+hour epic to its final run-time of about 2hrs, and you can tell that movie would've been worse had it been a lot longer.

Comment

Yep, it depends on what is left. If it's a lean, action heavy fast moving film I'm fine with it a ton of 2hr+ films contain tons of padding. If it's naff then at least the experience won't drag

Comment

I far prefer a short movie to a long movie and very few long movies justify their run time.

Comment

Possibly. The Eternals is in the same boat and I feel like relations with China might get trickier from here so a Chinese release is not a given anyway. Also this is being reported as being about comments having resurfaced as if it’s a new development and yet The Eternals and Shang Chi were notably missing from Chinese release articles maybe around five or six months ago. So it feels like there is a lot of speculation happening around this. China is a massive market and it is true that it can make or break some films. But it’s also true that a lot of movies don’t get a Chinese release and it’s not the end of them.

Comment

Between COVID and the direction that China is headed I feel like Hollywood is going to start altering its direction again to rely less on income from China's box office. I definitely think a Shang-Chi sequel is a lock in but I think Disney etc will increasingly look at other ways of monetising releases as China is something of a dead end in terms of being able to plan around it for big money projects that take years to put together. Some less bloated budgets would go a very long way for a start.

Also - today the trailer launched for Disney+'s Hawkeye series:

Comment

Hawkeye looks pretty good. More filmy than I expected, which maybe is no bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Possibly. The Eternals is in the same boat and I feel like relations with China might get trickier from here so a Chinese release is not a given anyway. Also this is being reported as being about comments having resurfaced as if it’s a new development and yet The Eternals and Shang Chi were notably missing from Chinese release articles maybe around five or six months ago. So it feels like there is a lot of speculation happening around this. China is a massive market and it is true that it can make or break some films. But it’s also true that a lot of movies don’t get a Chinese release and it’s not the end of them.
                  A bigger concern might be if they want to feature the characters in other Marvel ensemble movies; but I would personally love it if they were to decide that giving creative control to the Chinese censorship bureau to be a step too far and tell them to take it or leave it.

Comment

Oooh. Andy Williams. Good start.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      A bigger concern might be if they want to feature the characters in other Marvel ensemble movies; but I would personally love it if they were to decide that giving creative control to the Chinese censorship bureau to be a step too far and tell them to take it or leave it.
                      I would hope that will be the outcome as Disney will consider whether its worth the trouble (they will eventually get tired with dealing with a leadership that reacts so severely to anything that is said that is not supportive of them). Finding a different avenue to generate profit rather than worrying about releasing in China might be the best way forwards. I hope the film does get a sequel as the first one was a fairly decent effort given its the 25th film in the MCU so far.
                      Last edited by Paddy; 14-09-2021, 06:37.

Comment

Yep, it'll be a nightmare if Marvel effectively struggles to make a fifth Avengers film because characters keep getting ringfenced due to offending Winnie Xi Pooh.

Given how low in the ranks I consider Hawkeye that trailer is surprisingly good. Almost enough to tease it could be the best MCU series yet if it lands the potential.

Comment

While I can bet those discussions are being had, it would feel like very bad business to essentially hand all character approval to the Chinese government and I can't see them caving to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            While I can bet those discussions are being had, it would feel like very bad business to essentially hand all character approval to the Chinese government and I can't see them caving to it.
                            You'd think Disney will weigh up how much they stand to lose against what they can make if they can generate revenue via another stream (i.e exclusive cinema release for 45-60 days, then put it on streaming as a premier stream option, then home Blu-ray/DVD release a month later). I imagine they'd like the Chinese box-office money but if the deciding body continues to make it difficult for them to release their films over there due to being intolerant of different views Disney might resort to additional tactics to force them to some sort of agreement (or just leave that market alone for some time).

Comment

Shang Chi was great. It didn’t feel like a Marvel film. It felt like a Kung fu wuxia, crossed with Black Panther and Eragon or something. You can moan about the beats being the same as ever, but the style was something new.

Comment

Working...
                              X