• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That film looks like an absolute mess.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      That film looks like an absolute mess.
      It's doing a lot, right? If it sticks the landing it'll be fantastic but I feel there's a lot there, and there's something weird about it visually I can't quite express.

Comment

I think the visual thing is what's politely referred to as MCU-CG. These films use an immense amount of effects work these days and Marvel/Sony still seem to be not delivering the level of CG the films really need so things often look 'off'

The main issue with this film is going to be the number of characters. I'm very doubtful that enemies like Sandman or Lizard are going to get much screen time, hence their absence from the trailers. I can see Green Goblin and Doc Oc being the main focus and I'm very doubtful that any other... guests... will be in the film beyond the climax either. That leaves the bulk of the film for Peter like usual. There's a chance that they rely on viewers prior familiarity with these characters to not worry about having to balance their narratives and keep things lean but given younger viewers might not be as familiar with them that carries it's own risk.

It also depends on intent. If every character who appears in this film has 'No Way Home' then it will presumably mean Sony intends to show them off here in a flashy way and then bring them back in future films where they'll get more screen time. If Strange is able to send them all back to their own universes then it could make their appearances feel very shallow.

Given how under developed the MCU Spider-Man canon is (and we know Venom is being brought across with no way home) then I'd prefer the former approach in which case it should be fine to focus on a selection of them and just use the others for eye candy for this one for now.

Comment

Looks pretty nuts. I'm up for it. Im of the opinion that the next marvel phase should just go balls out crazy anyway.

Comment

A huge percentage of their audience will never have seen older Spider-Man films and certainly won’t have seen all of them. I think it’s a big risk relying on any prior knowledge. Looks like it could be fun but could be an unholy mess too. These things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Comment

From a PR angle it's at least working well. The first trailer has 77m views after two months, this new one is at 21.2m in 8 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                It's doing a lot, right? If it sticks the landing it'll be fantastic but I feel there's a lot there, and there's something weird about it visually I can't quite express.
                Yep thats what i meant sorry, i mean it doesn’t look like garbage quality as they’ve been decent so far but cheeeeerist there’s just too much going on.

Comment

Just under 3 hours later - 23.7m views
                  Given pandemic era ceiling for cinema releases has been just over $700m at the maximum I'm curious of this will be the first film to reach pre-pandemic era levels of success

Comment

Depends on covid figures in each country, I guess. I'm not 100% sure that youtube figures will directly translate to cinema sales but let's see.

Comment

They've deffo gone overboard with the multiverse crossovers...

Comment

That trailer made my Spidey-Sense tingle.

Very excited!!

Comment

Tom Holland suggests that he wants to step aside from the Spider-Man franchise by the time he's 30 years old. He's currently 25 and Marvel & Sony have been putting out an entry every 2 years. Holland is currently contracted to appear in a Marvel film post-Doctor Strange 2 but is also being lined up in canon to pair up with Venom. If Holland was to step out of the role in the coming years it would presumably be following some additional side jobs and Spider-Man Homecoming 4 and Homecoming 5 assuming the production rate continues as is. Holland has said it may be time to do a live action Miles.

Comment

Saw The Eternals.

Great. Loved it. I thought the backstory was easy to take in, and necessary (and not the ‘horrendous exposition dumps’ described in the reviews). The new cast were introduced rather deftly. Big, deep moments weren’t really needed. It’s an new ensemble, and designed to segue into an existing ensemble. Little films for a fraction of them, before the main get-together, aren’t needed. I enjoyed the action sequences and the photography.

I’ve read a lot of negative critic reviews. Many of the points raised are, frankly, a load of old bollocks. Some seemed to criticise it because it wasn’t a re-run of how The Avengers got together. I really didn’t see the faults that they saw. Many criticised what it wasn’t rather than what it was. Many will disagree, and that’s their prerogative, but I thought it was a bloody enjoyable film that continues to open the MCU up in new directions.
                            Last edited by prinnysquad; 21-11-2021, 18:36.

Comment

Looking back I think it's main issue remains that is has to set up too many characters. It's stretched too thin so the ones that truly matter don't get to make the inpact they need to. It's a set of characters that will need further appearances to make an impression whereas Shang Chi was able to nail it in one because it was tighter in focus

Comment

It’s a group of characters that are tied by the same goal. A drip-feed introduction wouldn’t work. It would be pointless and predictable, not to mention highly contrived to have a couple introduced every movie and then brought together. Introducing a group does have, and always will have, pitfalls. DC proved that to some degree. But it’s not a disparate bunch of heroes. They are an ancient group with a single purpose.

I didn’t really care that each character didn’t have a big ‘set up’ so that the arcs carried more weight. The remaining characters will develop that as time goes on. I guess I’m in the minority thinking that, but I’m very pleased that they didn’t go down the Avengers Lite route again.

Comment

Working...
                                X