User Tag List

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Got to love the consistency of Captain America First Avenger and Thor Dark World. Number 10 and number 16 in 100% of the rankings found here.

Ha ha - unless I despise Black Panther, everything will be shifting down one place.

Guardians is a climber. I had it last at one point. That was until someone put a contract out on me.

First Avenger, underrated as always

01 - Guardians of the Galaxy
    02 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
    03 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    04 - Captain America: The First Avenger
    05 - Captain America: Civil War
    06 - The Avengers
    07 - Thor
    08 - Black Panther
    09 - Iron Man 3
    10 - Ant Man
    11 - Spider-Man: Homecoming
    12 - Iron Man
    13 - Doctor Strange
    14 - Thor: Ragnarok
    15 - The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    16 - The Incredible Hulk
    17 - Iron Man 2
    18 - Thor: The Dark World

Whilst we're at it:

01 - Man of Steel
    02 - Wonder Woman
    03 - Suicide Squad
    04 - Justice League
    05 - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

And whilst we're really stirring the pot, like for like sequential comparisons:

Entry 01 - Man of Steel > Iron Man
    Entry 02 - Batman v Superman > Incredible Hulk
    Entry 03 - Suicide Squad > Iron Man 2
    Entry 04 - Wonder Woman > Thor
    Entry 05 - Captain America First Avenger > Justice League

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Got to love the consistency of Captain America First Avenger and Thor Dark World. Number 10 and number 16 in 100% of the rankings found here.
    It's interesting how time and subsequent films have affected these things.

For instance, way back when, I really liked X-Men 1&2. I also remember liking Transformers. And I loved The First Avenger.

However, when I think about this carefully, it's obvious to me the reason why. People today don't really appreciate it, but for these films, it was just a relief that they bore any relationship to the source material. Having grown up with videogames and such, and seeing how those were treated on the big screen, when Transformers was on the way, I honestly expected it to be a completely different narrative with only superficial similarities to the premise. While people were bitching online about how different it was to the cartoon, I was happy that it was so similar!

Even The First Avenger benefited from this effect, because I still think we were wondering if this new era of more faithful adaptations (at least in spirit) was going to be a blip. However by the time we got to the likes of Thor 2, any sense of that had worn off. Now we expect this as a minimum and we villify movies that veer from it (like Fant4stic).

Spiritual adherence to the source material is no longer a plus point now; it's just expected. I'm super-happy we got here, too.

I think I had a different experience with The First Avenger because I had no love for the source material and not all that much knowledge about it. For me, the fact that Captain America with all his jingoist connotations could be made into a really entertaining movie, and a period movie at that, was a big surprise. I have watched it again recently and it's still one that holds up very well.

First Avenger always seems to more broadly get looked over in light of the success of its two sequels but it does seem to be under valued as to how much of Winter Soldier works because of the groundwork laid by the first film. It was the first MCU entry to really try to bring heart to the character. Stark, Banner and Thor were all flawed characters with physical advantages whereas Captain America was initially the invert of that, the true hero lacking the means to make a difference physically. Without establishing him as the outright hero of the group it would create a hole in the sequels and the Avenger films and his position as an anchor within a team of ego's, much of it relying on FA's depiction. I do love that Joe Johnston style of WWII setting just like in Rocketeer but I genuinely think Phase One would have been greatly diminished without the film, more so than most of the others of that phase.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/luke-cag...for-june-22nd/

Season 2 of Luke Cage is set to launch on 22 June 2018. The new season see's Luke famous (unless you're in the movies) and trying to balance that with protecting those around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I think I had a different experience with The First Avenger because I had no love for the source material and not all that much knowledge about it. For me, the fact that Captain America with all his jingoist connotations could be made into a really entertaining movie, and a period movie at that, was a big surprise. I have watched it again recently and it's still one that holds up very well.
    I read a quite entertaining story about the first scene where he comes out of the procedure and is all buff, and the Agent Carter character is standing next to him. Apparently it took them a while to get that shot right, with a bunch of takes, and the actress kept just touching Evans (because let's face it, he looks like a freaking god). It got to the point where he had to jokingly confront her about it and say "I need you to stop touching me", and she got super-embarassed.

I'm not sure if it's true, and probably isn't (I find these "on the set" stories rarely are) but It cracked me up.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/dont-exp...-defenders-s2/

Amidst early reviews that suggest Netflix is on course to up it's count to 5 disappointing seasons of MCU shows against 2 successes with Jessica Jones Season 2 garnering only middling responses, Krysten Ritter has suggested the first casualty too with a second season of the build up event Defenders looking unlikely.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/infinity...-235m-opening/

On the flip side of the MCU coin, Avengers: Infinity War is projected for a domestic opening of $235m. This would be the biggest opening of any MCU entry to date