No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fox-Disney deal is complete with the “X-Men,” “Fantastic Four” and “Deadpool” franchises now officially back at Disney and under the purview of Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige like fans have been apparently clamouring for. However, those hoping to see a new Wolverine joining the “Avengers” anytime soon – you’re in for a long wait. A […]

A report about whether Disney will be able to get an X-Men film on the slate before the end of 2021 when the answer is clearly no and they won't attempt to either. I see the X-Men as more of a Phase Five development. Disney and Marvel will have the next five or so years pre-mapped out and it would have had to have been done on the basis that the Fox deal could collapse at some point. Plus they still have the next 12 months to clear out existing X-Men projects. On top of that you have to add the facts that their existing releases like Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Avengers are all hitting $1bn-$2bn so they have absolutely nothing to gain by tripping over themselves to do something X-Men related. Another noteworthy point is that Deadpool is the one Fox incarnation to survive the transition so in a way the X-Men universe still exists in one form for now. Disney has owned Indiana Jones for years now and we're still waiting on something from it so playing the waiting game isn't new. X-Men was a massive asset to Fox and something will be done with it but to Disney it's a small perk so I think people need to really dial down their expectations for that franchise.

Personally, I'd be eyeballing nothing but potentially a few nods before 2025

Comment

For me, I like the way that Marvel have planned things out a bit better.
      It didn't start out like that, but building up to Infinity War was a clever move.

Everyone else had a poorly received film and stuttered or had one more successful than they thought and scrambled to make a sequel.

All these "Universe" ideas that have fallen apart show that Marvel need to take their time in bringing in these newly-acquired properties.

It'll be interesting to see how they write them into the current Universe.
      I'm trying to think, are any of the current heroes mutants?
      They all either got their powers from experiments, are humans with tech or learned magic.

Will Marvel/Disney say the mutants were always here, have an event trigger mutants or maybe an alternative Earth with mutants will fuse with our own. Maybe they'll keep them separate, but I doubt it.

Fun times!

Comment

Because of the way the deal worked, their heroes had to very clearly be NOT mutants. Even when they shared rights to some smaller characters, they couldn’t be mutants. So yeah, it will be a new thing to introduce into their world now.

Comment

Sorry, can you expand on that, DT?

Which deal?

Comment

The deal with Fox. So up until this merger, Fox were the only ones who could reference or imply mutants in anything Marvel related. Hence the lack of any mutants in the actual Marvel-made movies. So it will be a new concept for them to bring in.

Comment

Presumably there will be significant changes to prior plots for the X-Men too when they do arrive. The most likely is that they're relatively small in number and have been living amongst us the entire time. Characters like Magneto will need their backstories changing as you can't have him being a child during the holocaust because you'd need to cast a present day actor so old they couldn't do much which is a scenario the Fox incarnation was getting itself into with Stewart and McKellen.

The closest connections to mutants remain Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. They could easily retcon them in as the first mutants with Loki's Sceptre awakening dormant mutant genes from their father.

Of course, potentially, the biggest live grenade in the mix is Deadpool who is an outright mutant and doesn't exactly hide his presence but as a present day character created by science he is very easy to explain away into the MCU if they choose to roll him into it at some point rather than keep him separate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                The deal with Fox. So up until this merger, Fox were the only ones who could reference or imply mutants in anything Marvel related. Hence the lack of any mutants in the actual Marvel-made movies. So it will be a new concept for them to bring in.
                Cheers, I didn't know that.

I think that'll actually work in their favour by having it happen at a certain moment, rather than Wolverine and Magneto being around for ages.

Maybe a reverse Scarlet Witch "Mutants no more".

Comment

I can see them using Deadpool as a way to ease the Xmen in. Maybe using a spiderman/Deadpool crossover like the comics to begin tying him into the avengers universe and going from there.

Comment

I can’t see them integrating Deadpool before the X-Men. Marvel movies have plenty of comedy but Deadpool’s style puts the character totally at odds with the universe they have spent a decade building.

Comment

As the first thing out the gate I'd imagine the next Deadpool film will sit in the same lane as the first two but making lots of references and jokes about how its part of the MCU yet they still can't show any characters or elements like they did with the XCU connection

Comment

Unrelated but:

In a surprise decision in the immediate wake of its acquisition of 20th Century Fox, Disney Studios is shutting down the Fox 2000 division. The group has championed mid-range releases and underserved demographics, and indications were it was going to remain intact after the merger even if its content was likely to be shuffled more […]

First official merger development is the surprise closure of the Fox 2000 Division, this is the division that made films such as The Fault in Our Stars and Life of Pi

Comment

With the exception of Fight Club, everything else from Fox2000 is mediocre at best.

Comment

Years and years back I had the fascination of having Marvel film Captain America: The First Avenger outside our work office for a week or two, basically the entire street sequence of Steve arriving at the lab where his serum is administered and the subsequent chase straight after including the often used exploding car beside Peggy shot.

Two years ago we moved office and now I find out they're this week filming Morbius the Living Vampire inside the sodding building of the old office.

God damn it.

Comment

Filming is currently underway in Manchester on “Morbius, The Living Vampire,” the second of Sony’s Spider-Man universe spin-off films following last year’s “Venom”. New photos from the set, which is doubling for New York City, have gone online today showcasing actors Jared Leto and Matt Smith along with director Daniel Espinosa. Leto appears to be […]

The filming continues in Manchester on Morbius the Living Vampire, the grand return of the MCU since Cap. Set photo's are spilling out of Leto and Smith on set:

Before the mess over James Gunn’s firing, the plan seemed to be Disney would begin shooting “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” in early 2019 for a May 2020 release. Gunn was then fired in July last year, throwing the production off with no new timetable set. The filmmaker eventually went over to Warner Bros. […]

It's looking like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 won't start filming until February 2021 making a 2022 release likely

Oscar winner Angelina Jolie is reportedly in talks to join “The Rider” director Chloe Zhao’s new film adaptation of Jack Kirby’s “The Eternals” comics for Marvel Studios and Disney Pictures. Matthew and Ryan Firpo penned the script based on the characters created by Jack Kirby in the mid-1970s. In the Marvel Comics, an alien race […]

Whilst Angelina Jolie is said to be in talks to join The Eternals

Comment

Is Morbius a MCU film? I know almost nothing about the character.

Comment

Working...
                                X