The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Ah okay. Yeah, it's not really applied to men and, yes, very commonly used in places that are built on misogyny - not laying that criticism on you but it definitely has that connection. Very rarely, if ever, are these types of criticisms applied to male characters because the issue at the heart of it tends to be that a woman character has had the audacity to demonstrate that she is as capable or better than a male lead. That's usually where the term is applied.
    Ah OK. Well they are not using it right then. You get 'Gary Sues' as well. I'm sure if I had a good think I can find loads of examples of male characters just succeeding with ease. I think for anyone that studies media and film the term still stands.

Comment

It has been co-opted unfortunately then. It was a big thing around, yes, Rey which also coincided with wider rampant misogyny and, because they’re often connected, racism about people in several roles (I think that awful Fantastic Four movie was one of them but there were more). Rogue One really brought the trolls out in force because it had a woman lead and the term was everywhere. A whole bunch of places became a toilet as it spread from 4chan, Reddit to places like the IMDB boards, which shut down because they couldn’t function in that environment. So it has become a term most used by those trolls, where they’ll level it at a woman Jedi but not a male baby Jedi and so on. Anyway, it comes with negative connotations and, as a result, certainly brings out a cynical side in me when I see it used.

Comment

Surprised about Rogue one, I think Jyn is quite a good character. I wouldnt call her a Mary Sue. She struggles and has doubts and ultimately closes out her character arc. I can't actually think of anyone in that film that just succeeds through coincidence really.

Maybe 'Mary Sue' needs changing to something else. I mean the definition exists in media, so maybe the name it's given needs to change.

Comment

I’m not even sure the film was out when it all came to a head. It was just totally toxic and, by that point, so blatant that having a woman in the lead role at all was bringing out the trolls. This is the thing - the Mary-sue complaint was only really an attempt to justify misogyny in those examples (not saying in yours but that’s where my initial comment came from). It was a train wreck.

And yeah, I love Rogue One.

Anyway, history lesson over. I get what you’re saying. Hope you can understand where I was coming from.

Comment

Biggest issue with Jyn in Rogue One is the incredibly poor casting, Jones was completely the wrong pick for the role that presumably came about because casting was done in the haze of her being in Theory of Everything. Though SW has a history of casting British actors she stands out too much as a Queens english posh toff supposedly as a struggling to survive as criminal, rough rogue fighting back against an overwhelming threat populated by... often Queens english posh toffs. It's a bit like Emilia Clarke in Solo (or Terminator Genysis) situation where the suspicion that their associated hit decided the casting more than suitability, both would be fine in better suited roles but don't convince in the ones they occupy (in Solo's case that's true to Solo himself too). In Rogue One's case we could have had Tatiana Maslany and that would have been glorious casting

Comment

Black Panther's Shuri actress Letitia Wright has found herself in furore after attracting social media backlash for posting an Anti-Vax video on her twitter feed.

Comment

Yikes. Not a good look. And a really bad time for it.

Comment

It's not even a valid, scientific questioning of the validity of a vaccine, it's some "pastor" off on a rant about climate change hoax and transphobia as well as being anti-vaccine. A really poor choice she's made there.

Comment

One of Sony's channels just set tongues wagging again:

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      One of Sony's channels just set tongues wagging again:

videos been taken down.. what was it?

Comment

Sony's Latin American official channel posted a video that...

Opens saying 'The three Spider-Men together... who is your favourite? You don't have to choose, in the Marvel Multi-verse anything can happen'. It used footage from all three lines of movies and at the end said 'in Spider-Man 3 you will quite possibly see everyone, yes, the three Peter Parker's save the world together. Find out more soon'. If true it'd be great to have the best SM incarnation (OG) become MCU canon and would cement the door being wide open to draft in Venom without issues too.

Sony's been frantically taking down mirrors of its own trailer ever since.

Comment

I wonder where they got the idea of multiple Spiderpersons from different dimensions teaming up to save the world?

Comment

From comics probably.

Anyway, it’s still at “sources say” stage but the Hollywood Reporter is fairly certain Molina is back as Doc Ock. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...doctor-octopus

Honestly, this kind of thing does nothing for me.

Comment

It seems that almost all the major players from the pre-MCU “Spider-Msn” films are coming back for the upcoming third Tom Holland-led movie. It began a few hours ago with a report at THR that Alfred Molina would reprise his role of Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius from “Spider-Man 2”. Now Collider is reporting that he’ll be […]

Reports are that Emma Stone and Kirsten Dunst are coming back too. I love it, Hollands third solo movie might actually be notable this time

Comment

Dunst was one of the worst things about the Maguire movies. Dunst and Macy Grey or whatever she was called.

This is exactly like when Lucas put Hayden Christensen at the end of Return of the Jedi.
                                Last edited by Dogg Thang; 09-12-2020, 06:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X