The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Might be a bit tinfoil-hat, but I suspect the next Phase might be shorter because
    Thing is, what they call a Phase feels somewhat arbitrary but it's probably not. I mean, why did Phase 2 end not with an Avengers movie but with Ant-Man? And Phase 3 with Far From Home rather than Endgame? Not for any creative reason as far as I can see. Why do Phase 1 and 2 have six films but Phase 3 has eleven, which is a weird number? I'm guessing there are likely just marketing or distribution reasons behind it, like what they can bundle in a blu-ray set for example. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't read too much into where the phases are divided and while Phase 4 only seems to contain 5 movies, it also now contains another 5 TV shows too which probably takes it above the other phases in terms of length and funds allocated to it.

Comment

First images from Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Comment

The first image is the guy from Civil War. The second is from some metal video from 2005.

Comment

Sounds like they're going in with a belated revenge story on Caps friends which is probably the safest way of easing people into these event series as it's like a mini-sequel

Comment

I have no doubt that what they are doing will work however I do have a concern that it's too much for the casual viewer. Keeping up with the characters and overarching story running across multiple films is quite involved and commiting. If you throw in TV shows you need to watch too it could put people off. I know I won't watch the TV shows because I don't have the time. I fear though that I will then watch a film only for it to be filled with references from a TV show I didn't watch.

Comment

Thinking on it, though it doesn't stop one from existing in the future, it's a bit of a shame that The Falcon and the Winter Soldier isn't simply being done as a theatrical Captain America 4

Cap is such a central figure that the idea of passing the mantle and him suddenly becoming a B-tier character feels off like there's less confidence in the new version despite the entire existing arc creating the new Cap being solely done in the films so far. The idea of Falcon taking on the mantle of Captain America and struggling with the responsibilities and shadow of Steve Rogers is solid basis for launching a second Captain America central to the new Avengers but it being done in a show immediately fractionalises those who will see it form.

By the looks Scarlett Witch will be the first test as she is central to the WandaVision show and also appears in the second Doctor Strange film so will likely be the first test case as to whether the MCU films will ignore direct referencing the shows still.

Comment

The return of Natalie Portman to the “Thor” franchise may have been one of the biggest surprises of Comic Con 2019, but it turns out her deal has been in place for six months. That’s one of several new bits of news that have emerged in the wake of the announcement of a fourth “Thor” […]

Another update for Thor: Love and Thunder:
                Waititi has confirmed that Natalie Portman won't be taking on the mantle of Female Thor and will instead be taking on that of Mighty Thor. Both he and Gunn have also confirmed that the fourth Thor movie takes place before the events of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 meaning Thor won't be part of the latter.

Comment

So is Mighty Thor different to Thor?

Comment

In the same way that Mighty Mouse is different to a regular mouse. I think it was just the name of the comic she was in so it’s a way to differentiate them on paper when there are two Thors.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                      I have no doubt that what they are doing will work however I do have a concern that it's too much for the casual viewer. Keeping up with the characters and overarching story running across multiple films is quite involved and commiting. If you throw in TV shows you need to watch too it could put people off. I know I won't watch the TV shows because I don't have the time. I fear though that I will then watch a film only for it to be filled with references from a TV show I didn't watch.
                      Yeah, I'm 50/50, but we'll see how it goes. I'm kinda the opposite in that I didn't watch any of the Marvel shows up until now because they announced early on that while they might riff off events from the movies, (1) the movies would never depend on them and (2) the movie cast would never show up in them. Both those things killed any interest I had.

I'm probably going to get Disney+ or DisneyLife or whatever they're calling their tenth attempt to launch the service so I'll check them out.

Comment

Timed with the Digital HD release of “Avengers: Endgame,” some of the team behind the film have discussed various elements of it ranging from cut scenes to narrative choices and more. SPOILERS FOR “AVENGERS: ENDGAME” Ahead First up, scribes Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely have spoken more about a scene they teased not long ago […]

A breakdown of a cancelled moment where 2014 was to appear through the portal in front of Captain America to roll Rogers own decapitated head from his 2014 self in front of him. Not surprised that got cut, would have required way too much framing, explaining and context for very little pay off.

Endgame's directors and writers were asked about X-Men and said that the franchise should probably rest for a bit though they like the idea of bringing back the Silver Surfer for a solo project.

Comment

I'm reading news that there's a cut scene in Infinity War which provides an arc to explain how Banner is the way he is in Endgame, but they had to get rid of it as they had to be merciless to prevent the movies becoming a tonal mess and 9 hours long. I guess that makes sense; I really felt we were missing something in Endgame about that, and it also finally explains why some of the effects in the final scenes of the movie in Infinity involving Banner are a bit ropey.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          Endgame's directors and writers were asked about X-Men and said that the franchise should probably rest for a bit
                          Seems sensible. If I was in Marvel's shoes, I would hold off the X-Men until the superhero gravy train finally starts to slow down. It'd be the perfect thing to try and reignite the embers into a last-grasp fire.

Comment

I think the next phase will see a slowdown. There are so many strange films that unless they are somehow also funny I can't see them continue to make a billion each.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                              I think the next phase will see a slowdown. There are so many strange films that unless they are somehow also funny I can't see them continue to make a billion each.
                              I think the strength of endgame will mean it will stream-roll through the next phase easily. I'm actually more interested in the next phase because its so strange.

Comment

I reckon there will be slowdown too but I don't think it will bother them in the slightest. There has to be a shrink after Endgame because if they tried to maintain that momentum they would run them into the ground. I think that's reflected in the movie choices too - they're building up smaller things into bigger things and they'll build and build all over again.

And yeah, I expect there to be a lot of conversations behind the scenes about what to do with X-Men. But like Spider-Man, I don't think they need X-Men or that X-Men has some kind of magical audience attached. Ask any kid and I have no doubt they'll tell you that Iron Man is Marvel's biggest superhero and Guardians of the Galaxy won't be all far behind. I have no idea who the Eternals are but I can imagine that in ten years time, there will be kids who are pretty sure that the Eternals were always one of Marvel's heavy hitters. Right now, Marvel makes hits.

Comment

Working...
                                X