No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw on the phase 4 unvailing a 'What if...' logo. Anyone know if its a film or show? There are some good What if comics and this could prove to be interesting.

Comment

"What If?" will be animated, but will feature a lot of the voices from the original actors.

Comment

The Iron Man 3 follow up on shot had the fake Mandarin being broken from prison by henchmen of the real one so I would completely expect Trevor to pop up again, perfect place for it and I'd be well happy with it.

Comment

Also, Black Widow isn't quite as heavily prequel as expected, the film takes place shortly after Civil War

Here's the villain, Taskmaster

Comment

Cracking line up planned there. A couple of sequels plus some exciting new entries. In Marvel we trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              The Iron Man 3 follow up on shot had the fake Mandarin being broken from prison by henchmen of the real one so I would completely expect Trevor to pop up again, perfect place for it and I'd be well happy with it.
              Yep, I would love to see Trevor return. I thought he was absolutely brilliant. Actually, outside of Loki we haven't had too many recurring characters on the villain end of things. I reckon we should have seen way more of Serkis' character because he was brilliant and I also think it would have been amazing to have Jeff Bridges hound Stark over more movies. Anyway, this new Shang Chi film can give fans the Mandarin they wanted while still keeping everything in Iron Man 3 intact so I guess everyone wins.

The big one for me in all of this is...

That logo is incredible! And through Ragnarok and Infinity War/Endgame, Thor went from being probably my least favourite Avenger to being my favourite character by far so I'm really happy we're getting more of him and especially happy that it's with Waititi. Have to admit, I'm not much of a Portman fan (personally I always feel she seems like a child playing an adult, like Elijah Wood only less expressive) but I'm totally on board for where they are going with her. And Tessa Thompson is brilliant and I think Valkyrie was such a great addition to the Marvel line up so I'm really happy it seems like she is going to feature heavily. I'm assuming we'll have Korg back too.

So yeah, I'm really hyped for this one.

Others I have a harder time getting excited about. I don't know anything about The Eternals or Shang Chi. But I'm sure they'll be enjoyable. Marvel have shown many times they don't need their characters to be well known in order to make a really good movie.

I know they have only announced up to 2021 but was surprised not to see Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2 or Spider-Man 3 listed.

Comment

I expect Sony will lay out their cards before long, with Venom 2 and Morbius lined up for next year they'll presumably plan a reveal and they pencilled Spider-Man 3 in for 2021 a while back (plus Holland won't appear as Spidey again till that film so they'll want to keep gaps to a minimum).

There's three 2022 slots set so I expect Guardians and Black Panther 2 at the least will snag two of them. It's a busy slate, they seem to be moving harder and harder towards 4 films per year and when you add in Sony pushing for 2 on top then DC etc, it's a lot to keep up with on the horizon.

Comment

Disapppointed the fourth Thor movie isn't The Fantastic Thor.

Comment

One thing I'm personally incredibly pleased with is that Thor: Love and Thunder comes out before Guardians Vol.3 meaning it's much more unlikely Thor will be involved in that film at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Disapppointed the fourth Thor movie isn't The Fantastic Thor.
                      Thorly not!

Comment

Marvel Studios won Comic Con on Saturday night with a reveal of their Phase 4 slate and confirmation that Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali will take on the iconic role of Blade who will join the MCU. There were, however, some lingering questions in the wake of that panel and Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige has spoken […]

Kevin Feige has confirmed that the recent line up of films and series starting with Black Widow and ending with Thor: Love and Thunder and the Hawkeye series in late 2021 does actually represent the entirety of Phase Four making it the shortest Phase and the first not to end with an Avengers film.

Feige describes Phase Four as being all about beginnings and as a result of this confirmation it means that we already know 4 of the films that will make up Phase Five (Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Blade and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3)

Feige also confirms, to no surprise, that Avengers 5 is on the cards but won't resemble the existing four films due to a strong emphasis on new characters although some older ones will appear (making it sound like it might be the closing act of Phase Five).

Also highlighted is that Marhershala Ali, the new Blade, played Cottonmouth in Luke Cage: Season One which doesn't confirm anything but along with the Disney+ series fanfare it does continue to expand on the feeling that Marvel is moving towards retconning out all Marvel TV series from the MCU canon except Agent Carter.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what effect the TV output has on the MCU overall. The Disney+ service will likely do really well but it will still split viewers and not everyone will go for it. You now have to go to a different place for some of the core MCU characters, unlike previous TV shows where they were really unconnected except for Carter and she was hardly a core character. Like it feels to me that it's potentially a negative to throw Falcon into a TV show at what felt like a very pivotal time for his character, a time where he could get the room to shine in a way he couldn't before. Same for Wanda. It feels like she still hasn't had her big moment in the movies. But now their stories are split into TV shows that not all cinema-goers will see and could affect how they approach the movies too.

It feels like we could essentially bypass the next generation of Avengers, if you know what I mean.

I know for me, the TV shows really aren't on my radar at all yet. It's a harder thing to commit to watching four TV shows over a few movies and especially if that's something I'd have to pay an extra subscription for. So I know that for me personally, it feels like there is a split happening - that I'll likely be missing out on some of the MCU from here.

Comment

Might be a bit tinfoil-hat, but I suspect the next Phase might be shorter because they're going to start in earnest on how they're going to introduce The X-Men. That's the key to their brand longevity.

Comment

Hopefully the series work by fleshing out stuff. So for Falcon, in Endgame he gets the mantle of Captain America passed to him by Rogers then he'd pop up in uniform in a film a few years later which is what we're used to like Hulk's change between Infinity War and Endgame. So the series would be used to show that transition instead of making a character development jump, the trouble with that though is it means the TV series might be well made and feature the characters but they'd remain unessential viewing, which the films kind of depend on them being too.

It's a nice second wind effort from Marvel in terms of TV but until something really lands I still favour DC's approach of letting the TV stuff be it's own thing unshackled by the films.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                It's a nice second wind effort from Marvel in terms of TV but until something really lands I still favour DC's approach of letting the TV stuff be it's own thing unshackled by the films.
                                Still not a fan of that. I'm glad Marvel's going to keep a tight leash on things, and isn't afraid to "cut things loose" when necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X