No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's easy to forget what an achievement Iron Man is, when the odds were stacked against it.

Disney didn't want to hire Robert Downey Jr. as Stark because of his drink and drugs convictions.
    It's not hard to blame them as he'd missed out on a couple of roles because of insurance issues and fired from Ally McBeal after an arrest in 2001.

John Favreau had just directed Zathura, which was a box-office failure, but he'd directed the hit Elf, so he ended up on a list of directors that were good and available.

Marvel Studios didn't really know what they were doing as they'd sold off the Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and X-Men rights.

They didn't even have a script at the start and even on the days of filming, they had to improvise a lot of scenes.

Jeff Bridges has said:
    “We would show up for big scenes every day and we wouldn't know what we were going to say. We would have to go into our trailer and work on this scene and call up writers on the phone, 'You got any ideas?' Meanwhile the crew is tapping their foot on the stage waiting for us to come on."
    Improvisations were made, with Bridges, Downey Jr., and director Jon Favreau acting out basic scenes. “Jon dealt with it so well,” Bridges said. "It freaked me out. I was very anxious. I like to be prepared. I like to know my lines, man, that's my school. Very prepared. That was very irritating, and then I just made this adjustment. It happens in movies a lot where something's rubbing against your fur and it's not feeling right, but it's just the way it is. You can spend a lot of energy bitching about that or you can figure out how you're going to do it, how you're going to play this hand you've been dealt. What you can control is how you perceive things and your thinking about it. So I said, ‘Oh, what we're doing here, we're making a $200 million student film. We're all just f***in’ around! We're playin'. Oh, great!' That took all the pressure off. ‘Oh, just jam, man, just play.' And it turned out great!"

“We read the script, and it wasn’t really right, you know? We had two weeks’ rehearsal, and we basically rewrote the script,” he said. “And the day before we were going to shoot, we get a call from the Marvel guy, saying, ‘Oh, no, no, no. None of this is right.’ So we would muster in my trailer and rehearse while the guys were in the studio tapping their foot, saying, ‘When are they going to come?’ We were still trying to figure out the [scenes] we were going to shoot.”

The film wasn't supposed to be funny, but RDJ's tone as Stark made it a lot more humorous than they planned:
    Favreau: “I don’t even think they knew it was gonna be funny, I remember when we first screened it, [Marvel Studios President] Kevin Feige was like, ‘Whoa, this is pretty funny!’”

RDJ also improvised the final line of the film - "I am Iron Man" as the original script kept his alter-ego secret.
    Feige: “That success (revealing Stark as Iron Man) inspired us to go further in the trusting ourselves to find balance of staying true to the comics and the spirit of the comics but not being afraid to adapt and evolve and to change things,”

This ability to change the film versions from the comics lead to them ditching the Dr. Donald Blake alter-ego for Thor.
    Feige: “It’s a fine line, If you’re changing something for no reason, that’s one thing, but if you’re changing something because you want to double-down on the spirit of who the character is? That’s a change we’ll make. Tony Stark not reading off the card and not sticking with the fixed story? Him just blurting out ‘I am Iron Man?’ That seems very much in keeping with who that character is.”

“I think it did inspire us on all the movies,” Feige said. “What I love now — 20 movies in — is how fans expect the MCU to change and adapt. They expect us to be inspired by the comics as opposed to being slavishly devoted to them.”

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      This ability to change the film versions from the comics lead to them ditching the Dr. Donald Blake alter-ego for Thor.
      Feige: “It’s a fine line, If you’re changing something for no reason, that’s one thing, but if you’re changing something because you want to double-down on the spirit of who the character is? That’s a change we’ll make. Tony Stark not reading off the card and not sticking with the fixed story? Him just blurting out ‘I am Iron Man?’ That seems very much in keeping with who that character is.””
      Hate to invoke the name, but I think this is the fundamental reason why the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, or most existing brand movies don't work. You can make all sorts of changes to a franchise when you move from one medium to another, and really, you should, otherwise you'll end up with something slavishly faithful but more of a curio than a good example of the new medium. However, you have to do this with an eye to preserving or extending the character of the brand.

Comment

I think Marvel has a unique position. The marvel comics all exist in various Universes like Earth 616 etc, and this gives the writers room to play around. If they have an idea that maybe breaks from the norm, they can simply set the story in a different universe. This means that the people who know the comics are more receptive to changes from the comic. Anyone that doesn't know the comics won't really care so much either.
        I think it probably offers Marvel the ability to be flexible.

Comment

Yep, that’s a good point. There really isn’t one sacred canon for any of these characters. There have been so many versions over the years that nobody can really claim they should be done a particular way.

Comment

I “get” why TV’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. needed to ignore the events of Avengers: Endgame. But that doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it, even five weeks into Season 6. To recap: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. previously and conspicuously referenced Infinity War‘s opening incursion in Season 5, Episode 19 (which aired April 27, […]

It may eventually write itself back in but this opinion piece on the sixth season of Agents of Shield seems to confirm that unless something changes the show has severed itself from the MCU

Comment

While most of the Netflix and Marvel collaboration series cancellations seem to have come as a real surprise for those involved. For the makers of the third and final season of the last of the shows on air, “Jessica Jones,” they got a bit luckier. Series creator Melissa Rosenberg has revealed that she was given […]

The showrunner for Jessica Jones says they were the one Netflix MCU series that had just enough of a heads up that they were able to write an intended ending into the season.

Comment

Yesterday, Marvel Entertainment’s Twitter account lit up with the image of a spider spinning a web in the shape of the number 4. Marvel Editor-in-Chief CB Cebulski also retweeted the teaser, adding that fans “wouldn’t see this coming” in terms of a future announcement. Shortly after, acclaimed comic artist Alex Ross followed it up with […]

It's not MCU but it's the best place for this. Speculation is mounting that Marvel Comics are soon to unveil a comic adaptation of the cancelled Sam Raimi sequel Spider-Man 4

Comment

That'd be an interesting curio to read!

Comment

Lin, Yen Rumored For Marvel’s “Shang Chi”

Ludi Lin (“Black Mirror: Striking Vipers,” “Aquaman,” “Power Rangers”) is rumored to be in consideration to land the lead role in the “Shang-Chi” for Marvel Studios, in addition the legendary Donnie Yen (“Rogue One”) could join him in a different role.

With “Black Widow” now filming, it’s expected “Shang-Chi” will be one of the next Marvel Studios films to go into production after it – sometime in November. The solo film is tipped to be the first Marvel Studios feature with an Asian actor in the title role.

That Hashtag Show broke the Lin report, the first name to surface as a contender and the site indicates Marvel is interested in him. “Shazam” and “Riverdale” actor Ross Butler is also expected to land a meeting. Lin is a skilled martial artist who stands 5’10” tall. Butler is 6’2″ but does not have extensive fight training.

David Callaham was hired to write the script last year with “Short Term 12” helmer Destin Daniel Cretton to direct. Yen is currently working on Disney’s upcoming “Mulan” live-action remake.

Comment

Marvels going for it!
                      Feige has let slip that they're going to issue a rerelease of Avengers: Endgame with some extra footage, a deleted scene and additional post-credits moments added. Remember, only around $45m left to topple Avatar...

Comment

Got to get every last penny. Kind of mad to think about how many low to mid range budget movies could be funded with the money made from Endgame.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06...e-kevin-feige/

Marvels going for it!
                          Feige has let slip that they're going to issue a rerelease of Avengers: Endgame with some extra footage, a deleted scene and additional post-credits moments added. Remember, only around $45m left to topple Avatar...
                          I'm in.

Comment

Endgame hinted at Captain Britain too (discussion about Braddock when they went back to the 70s). That could be cool.

Comment

Ross Kemp will play him now that Albert Finney is dead.

They are the only two English actors.

Who aren’t already playing Americans, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Ross Kemp will play him now that Albert Finney is dead.

They are the only two English actors.

Who aren’t already playing Americans, obviously.
                                Jason Statham will play him, I bet

Comment

Working...
                                X