Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

30 October 2020 - Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season 02
    I received six months of “free” Disney+ with my new phone SIM. Might actually use it after all.

Comment

Trailer for the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special

Comment

Disney is set to majorly ramp up its output in regard to its “Marvel” and “Star Wars” properties for the Disney+ streaming service. Appearing as part of Disney’s four-hour investor day, Walt Disney Company’s Media and Entertainment Distribution Chairman Kareem Daniel says the company will ‘roughly’ launch approximately ten Marvel series, ten Star Wars series […]

A total of 10 additional Star Wars series are entering planning for Disney+

It was Lucasfilm’s turn at the Disney investor day conference and there was more news and reveals than you could throw a lightsaber at. First up, they confirmed that Hayden Christensen will reprise the role of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader for the upcoming “Obi-Wan Kenobi” limited series for the Disney+ service. That series takes place a […]

Disney has also unveiled its existing slate of TV Star Wars projects that are inbound to the streaming service:

-Star Wars: Ahsoka
        -Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi
        -Star Wars: The Acolyte
        -Star Wars: Lando
        -Star Wars: A Droid Story
        -Star Wars: Andor
        -Star Wars: The Bad Batch
        -Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic
        -Star Wars: Visions

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi will be set ten years after the events of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and will see Hayden Christiansen return as Darth Vader. Star Wars: Ahsoka and Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic are the two series that are closest to being spin-offs of The Mandalorian, both set at the same time period and overseen by Filoni and Faverau.

Star Wars: Lando will see Donald Glover return to the role with this show seemingly intended to be a one run event series. Star Wars: The Acolyte is set in the end days of the High Republic and be a female led mystery thriller.

Star Wars: Visions is the most disconnected series, this new show is an animated series featuring shorts created by Japanese anime creators.

Star Wars: A Droid Story is an animated film following a droid under the mentorship of R2-D2 and C3PO. Teasers were shown for Star Wars: Andor and Star Wars: The Bad Batch

Then there is the quietest front - the movies. Rhian Johnson's trilogy and Kevin Feig's project were both absent from mention, whereas the one movie confirmed was Star Wars: Rogue Squadron which will be directed by Patty Jenkins and will release Christmas 2023. The next film after that looks to be Taiki Waititi's movie which is still without further detail.

Comment

They have something with Rogue Squadron. It should be a pure Top Gun rip off.

Comment

When it comes to all these projects the films don't really concern me, the five latest ones are all varying degrees of fine that fans seem to take far too seriously particularly considering the crater deep level of quality the prequel trilogy already made us endure.

For the series, hard to know but my main concern would be whether they will be distinct enough or stick close to the approach of The Mandalorian that is *whisper it* not that great

Comment

You know what? You’re wrong. But more importantly, it doesn’t matter. Since the rebirth of Star Wars with The Force Awakens, it didn’t matter. It especially doesn’t matter now. Because if you don’t like a Star Wars, give it a minute and you’ll get a different one.

The one thing they are doing with Star Wars in recent years is try different things. It’s why we get Star Wars people don’t like but it’s also entirely responsible for giving us Star Wars people like too.

So if a load of these are rubbish, and I suspect at least a few will be, nobody should care. Go watch the others or wait a year for the Star Wars you like. Every decent Star Wars since the prequels is like a little gift. Something we never really needed but should enjoy for what it is.

Comment

Admittedly, I've yet to see any of Season 2, for season 1 though it seemed like a lot of hype for very, very little story and a lot of padding. Like you say, they'll likely serve up something that will hit a strong note, it's just weird to see them get so cagey about the films and yet throw up an excess of untested content in series form with so little dependable track record for it. SW is still struggling to find a path so if there's so many it shouldn't be hard to steer the films.

I still see SW as an event movie franchise. One new film sparsed well apart (5-10 years) and pretty fan service friendly. Any ambition beyond that seems to derail the train quickly

Comment

Yeah, I think I did see it that way and now I don't. And the core reason being illustrated right here - lots of people think The Mandalorian is incredible. They love it. If the path of Star Wars was set and it was that, you'd never like Star Wars. There would be no Star Wars for you. Similarly had The Force Awakens set down everything new Star Wars is, we'd never have had Rogue One. Solo was a weird one for me and I never liked the concept but the freedom to make these things is what led back to The Mandalorian, which I love.

So yes, the path is all over the place. But if they found that path and stuck to it, you can be sure that huge numbers of people would hate it but also you then wouldn't get anything else.

I'm starting to come around to the positive of Star Wars veering around like a drunk driver. There is merit to it.

Comment

It's basically Star Wars' fanbase joining the experiences of other fanbases.

Star Trek fans have long endured a thousand B9 quality moments in order experience one glorious 'Khaaaaan!'

Comment

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Comment

Quite the reverse of Marvel, I'm actually fine with a million Star Wars TV shows.
                        The other then the Originals the films are pants. I think they lend themselves more to TV shows. It's a big universe that has plenty of room for ideas. Let people run wild.

Comment

I wonder if it'll be the opposite, as a sci-fi Star Wars' universe is very limited by comparison to others and even it weren't the last thirty/forty years have seen other film and TV mine the ideas bucket well in advance. Sometimes I wonder if the more content SW produces the more it shows how shallow the well might actually be.

Comment

Thing is, it's a huge universe. But they (and by 'they', I mean everyone since the beginning of Star Wars so that includes a whole bunch of different people in charge and across many media forms - movies, games, books, etc.) seem so reluctant to move far from those first three movies and always seem to have one foot back in that same place. So much of the Star Wars media we get directly ties into something in the Skywalker story rather than just telling a whole new story. It feels very limiting but I don't think that's a flaw in the universe. Just a choice in the approach but it feels very limiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Thing is, it's a huge universe. But they (and by 'they', I mean everyone since the beginning of Star Wars so that includes a whole bunch of different people in charge and across many media forms - movies, games, books, etc.) seem so reluctant to move far from those first three movies and always seem to have one foot back in that same place. So much of the Star Wars media we get directly ties into something in the Skywalker story rather than just telling a whole new story. It feels very limiting but I don't think that's a flaw in the universe. Just a choice in the approach but it feels very limiting.
                              Best thing that can happen is to move away from the Skywalker timeline. Not to say that theres not storys to be told well in that period, RogueOne, Mandalorian, but after the absolute turgid 8, 8, 9 the whole thing needs a fresh start.

Comment

Working...
                              X