No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, Rise isn't the Episode IX I'd have wanted them to make (I'd have at least had an Episode X to not rush the story arc) but it provides some of the light spectacle Solo and Jedi lacked. I could easily do Ep X onward, definitely with a time jump that series can fill in but without the harmful trilogy model applied.

With the prequels, I think I can give them a nod for being distinct in their own way and they feel a bit more relevant to the OT but as films I dislike all three way more than any of the sequel films. They under deliver on every front. Even Rogue One, it's arguably the best individual new era film but at the same time it's not an example of what I want Star Wars to be in general, it's a good one off. It's part of why Solo failed so much, these things were essentially Indiana Jones in space, Star Wars shouldn't be so self-serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Even Rogue One, it's arguably the best individual new era film but at the same time it's not an example of what I want Star Wars to be in general, it's a good one off.
      I get you. To me, though, Star Wars will always appeal to a 13 year-old part of myself who read Shadows of the Empire, and I think part of the reason I love Rogue One is that, in tone, it's the movie that was playing in my head when reading that, or Rogue Squadron.

Comment

I imagine that's part of where Star Wars has 'gone wrong'. At Lucasfilm there's clearly a turmoil at work as to how the franchise should appear and I can imagine that's where Solo went wrong. The guys making it undoubtedly had something more light in mind given their backgrounds and the film feels like a very compromised attempt to force it to match Rogue One's success but it skewed that film too far the wrong way

Comment

I imagine that's part of where Star Wars has 'gone wrong'. At Lucasfilm there's clearly a turmoil at work as to how the franchise should appear and I can imagine that's where Solo went wrong. The guys making it undoubtedly had something more light in mind given their backgrounds and the film feels like a very compromised attempt to force it to match Rogue One's success but it skewed that film too far the wrong way
          I wonder if having a few duds in the box will improve Star Wars. One of the things about the franchise is that it's Hollywood gold. It's a cultural touchstone, like the Hollywood sign, or that picture of Marilyn Monroe on top of the air vent.

That probably creates a lot of pressure on it to perform, and that makes it hard to do anything genuinely interesting or experimental with it. The EU books didn't have that issue and in quality terms they were, at best, mixed - but the good ones made up for the bad ones.

Perhaps this will free Star Wars up from that pressure to "live up" to its image.

Comment

Hopefully, it's clear that Solo has shocked them into some sort of paralysis with the franchise and are struggling to figure out a way forward. With any (new) hope it will lead to then end result being something strong

Comment

‘The Mandalorian’ Season 3 Sets Premiere Date – Deadline
              The Mandalorian: Season 03 launches 01 March 2023

Comment

Comment

Winstead Is Hera Syndulla In "Star Wars: Ahsoka" - Dark Horizons
                  Mary Elizabeth Winstead will be playing Hera Syndulla in Ahsoka

Comment

Comment

Looks like the cogs are beginning to turn on Star Wars in film again:

Two untitled movies have been given release dates:

19 December 2025
                      17 December 2027

Comment

Liam Neeson Is Done With "Star Wars" - Dark Horizons
                        Neeson says he won't return again to Star Wars as its a brand that's over diluting itself

Comment

No End In Sight For "The Mandalorian" - Dark HorizonsFav
                          Favereau says that The Mandalorian: Season 04 is already written and he broadly see's the story as being in its 'middle' phase but is broadly keen on the idea of the show just going on and on.

Comment

It now seems like the Rogue Squadron movie is finally completely dead and the Kevin Feige Star Wars movie project also is said to have been canned as well. Waititi's film is said to still be being worked on with him planning to be in the film also, whilst Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's effort is also in development, the race to keep that 2025 release slot coming down to those two

Comment

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/s...ed-1235545774/
                              It now seems like the Rogue Squadron movie is finally completely dead and the Kevin Feige Star Wars movie project also is said to have been canned as well. Waititi's film is said to still be being worked on with him planning to be in the film also, whilst Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's effort is also in development, the race to keep that 2025 release slot coming down to those two
                              For ****'s sake, that was the one I was really excited about

Comment

They're in complete paralysis. It's needless as well, the whole thing will be because of Solo and it's not hard at all to work out why that film failed.

I honestly think they should make a Solo Disney+ series to wrap up its plot points, give the cast another chance to recover its rep and for the execs to exorcise their demons.

If in doubt they should just make Episode X, a single film that leaves the door for Episode XI years down the line but has an easy starting point and can leave doors open for other projects to stem from. At the moment they seem panicked that the next film will bomb so Ep10 would avoid that issue and would also remove the feeling of having to semi-restart the franchise post-Skywalker.

It's like Star Trek, they're overcomplicating a simple problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X