No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're first paragraph reads like the opening of a job advert from Lucasfilm for the Directing gig on the new film That comes across like the definition of the experience of helming one of their projects given what's happened with Rogue One, Solo etc.

Comment

Yep, but what clashes against Rogue One and Solo is what happened with The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker, two mainline Star Wars films where it seems like the director really got to do their thing. Rise of Skywalker is Abrams through and through and it’s clear that, in both writing and directing Last Jedi, that Johnson got a huge amount of freedom. They clearly weren’t just carrying out exec notes (in fact, I would love to see the notes on the script for Rise of Skywalker).

So I believe the case with Star Wars is that the director is still king... unless you’re really doing something they don’t like and then you’re gone. It’s still not the same things as TV. So the question is - does Taika Waititi fit with their current vision for Star Wars?

Comment

If they're smart they could achieve what the Harry Potter series did with Alfonso Cuaron directing Prisoner of Azkaban. Depends how much creative freedom they're willing to allow.

The first two HP films were good enough but the third one was a different class.

Comment

The problem is that I think they have taken both approaches (pulling freedom on Rogue One and Solo and giving it on Last Jedi and Rise) and, on one level, neither has 100% worked for Star Wars. I say on one level because most of the movies made serious amounts of money so it's very difficult to call them failures. Disney's bottom line is very healthy when it comes to Star Wars, even with what happened with Solo.

Personally, I think the main problem here is actually just their relationship with the fans. It feels like one based on fear. And like any damaging relationship, my advice would be just to sever it. Make the films or TV they want to make and truly believe in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            The problem is that I think they have taken both approaches (pulling freedom on Rogue One and Solo and giving it on Last Jedi and Rise) and, on one level, neither has 100% worked for Star Wars. I say on one level because most of the movies made serious amounts of money so it's very difficult to call them failures. Disney's bottom line is very healthy when it comes to Star Wars, even with what happened with Solo.

Personally, I think the main problem here is actually just their relationship with the fans. It feels like one based on fear. And like any damaging relationship, my advice would be just to sever it. Make the films or TV they want to make and truly believe in.
            The question for them will be what Star Wars really is - not creatively, I mean in terms of income. I suspect it's quite a complicated picture.

Comment

Spoiler casting for Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season 02

https://www.darkhorizons.com/morriso...e-mandalorian/
              Temeura Morrison is to appear in the next season as Boba Fett

Comment

“Battlestar Galactica” and “The Flash” alum Katee Sackhoff is joining the cast of the second season of “The Mandalorian” at the Disney+ service. Slashfilm reports that Sackhoff will be playing a live-action version of Bo-Katan Kryze, the Mandalorian warrior she previously did voice work on in Dave Filoni’s “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” and “Star […]

Katee Sackhoff will play Bo Katan from Clone Wars and Rebels in The Mandalorian: Season 02

Comment

I still haven’t seen the first series but the fact that the second season is getting littered with already existing characters is a real turn off for me.

Comment

I hope it won't be, Mandalorian is worth every second.

Comment

The Disney+ streaming service has ordered the next Lucasfilm animated series, “Star Wars: The Bad Batch,” with plans to premiere in 2021. The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch, first introduced in “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate […]

Nope it's not a new expansion of Gremlins, Disney has ordered to series for Disney+ another new show called Star Wars: The Bad Batch

The show will follow the experimental clones working to find a new lease of life in a post-Clone Wars era.

Comment

With no “Star Wars Celebration” on this year, it’s likely any potential announcements out of that will be trickled out over coming months. This week, the podcast Kessel Run Transmissions has claimed that Donald Glover will return to the role of Lando Calrissian for a new Disney+ original series with his character. Before you dismiss […]

Donald Glover is rumoured to be returning to Star Wars for a new Disney+ series which seems to basically be Lando: A Star Wars Story

Comment

A series of the movie they should have made

Comment

The next Star Wars movie has been delayed a year making it now a 2023 release

Comment

Disney+ has announced “The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special,” a new animated special directly inspired by the infamous 1978 “Star Wars Holiday Special” which aired on CBS in 1978 on the same day the new special launches – November 17th. Set after the events of “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” the special continues the […]

Disney have announced that on 17 November 2020 they will release on Disney+ the new special Lego Star Wars Holiday Special

Comment

Back in the 90s, as a kid, I was a big fan of the Star Wars EU books, so recently I've been checking out some of the new Star Wars books.

The EU books were tremendously variable. I read plenty which were fantastic (Shadows of the Empire, the first four X-Wing books, the Heir to the Empire trilogy), plenty which might not have been amazing but had stuff that was good for a fan (The Truce at Bakura springs to mind) and a whole lot of dross (pretty much everything I tried from Kevin J. Anderson). Still, on the whole, I loved the EU, which is probably one of the reasons I went into the new trilogy with some skepticism - though I'm happy to see a new generation getting into Star Wars (honestly seeing all the pictures getting posted in Reddit etc. of little girls dressed up as Rey brings me so much joy).

With us planning on a Disney Florida trip, we started off with the Galaxy's Edge book, Black Spire, which, if I'm honest, was great fun. Surprisingly so; it was funny, action-packed, and really felt like a bit of Star Wars. It tells the story of a spy send to a far-flung planet to establish a Resistance base; obviously things go wrong very quickly and a simple task becomes a more complex one.

This book, I didn't realise, is a "soft" sequel; it follows the events of Phasma, the book which tells the story of Captain Phasma, AKA the new trilogy's biggest wasted opportunity (IMHO). You can read them out-of-order, as I did, but I'd recommend reading Phasma first; the book is about Phasma growing up on her home planet of Parnassos, but it's told in and around a framing device about a spy being interrogated - the same spy about whom the Black Spire book is based. This is also a fun read.

We actually listened to both of them via Audible, they have the same narrator so the sense of continuity is good.

However, I'm listening to Aftermath at the moment, which was the book that "launched" the new Star Wars timeline, and covers the gap between Jedi and Awakens, and I'm really not getting along with it. Not sure what it is, but it really isn't clicking for me as of yet. Then again; I don't know if this is related to the aformentioned problem. Phasma and Black Spire are pretty distinct from the new film trilogy, in that if you switched up some of the names and places, they could've practically been EU books - but Aftermath deals more directly with the "core events" of the galaxy, so by definition it's closer to those films.

In any case, I'm going to at least listen to the end, in case there's an upswing midway through.

Comment

Working...
                                X