X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    Oops, missed that!

Originally posted by hudson View Post
    Hey @Cepp according to this video you can freely mix and match audio modes with either languages. See at 2m25s in...

Gonna have to get this. £5.99. Cool.
    Those lovely lit dungeon corridors. Must have looked like witchcraft in 1988.
    Nice, think I'll grab it as well

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    What’s the FM music thing about? I don’t know my Phantasy Star.
    The Japanese SMS has PSG & FM audio as standard whereas the EU/NA SMS has PSG audio only. Some games like Phantasy Star and R-Type make use of both depending on which version you have so a JP Phantasy Star can be played with FM music whereas an English Phantasy Star can only be played with PSG audio.

There are technically ways around it, either by hacking a JP cart (don't do this!) or using a Mega-Everdrive which now supports FM music with SMS ROMS but the Switch release looks to be the best solution just because of how well done the whole package is.

Comment

Why did Sega omit the YM2413 from the western MS?

Comment

Who's to say mate, this is Sega we're talking about after all.

Comment

Anyone get Katamari Damacy?

Comment

It’s on my birthday and Xmas lists.

Comment

We wants it. We needs it.

Comment

Anyone get Katamari Damacy?
                Will be buying it as soon as I get home from Christmas as I will have money then.

Comment

Oh cool, it's £15.99. Thought it was going to be silly money.

Might get a 50 quid eshop voucher and get this, Phantasy Star and Monster Boy.

What a lovely bunch of games for Christmas that is!
                  Last edited by hudson; 15-12-2018, 20:28.

Comment

Really wish SegaAges was an app where you could buy games inside. So much clutter on the home screen. Folder options where?

What are the menu icons for the Sega games like? Respective regions cover art?

Also, Puyo Puyo and Puyo Puyo Tsu was announced today
                    Last edited by Nico87; 16-12-2018, 11:38.

Comment

Why did Sega omit the YM2413 from the western MS?
                      Wasn't it the done thing in the 90s for PAL consoles, missing inputs/outputs, no 480p options when the NTSC versions supported them.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comment

Why did we have different inferior TV/Console stuff than the rest of the world? Was it down to how we transmitted signals on terrestrial or something?

Comment

Why did we have different inferior TV/Console stuff than the rest of the world? Was it down to how we transmitted signals on terrestrial or something?
                          The TV stuff is because PAL isn't necessarily inferior. It's 50hz, which was a problem for games, but it's higher resolution and has a better colour profile. It's just inferior for our purposes.

Comment

Both the Japanese and US markets use NTSC and were by and far the largest as far as sales. Europe in the 90s was always an after thought, with our different TV system, multiple languages and smaller sales potential it wasn't deemed worthy of optimising games. So instead they added boarders to address the extra lines of resolution and slowed the games down by 17.5%. It's was only during the PS2/Xbox era that we started getting 50hz optimised games.

It's no exaggeration to say that we could sometimes wait years for games to reach our shores. I remember watching the Wizard in 89 and being blown away that there was a Super Mario Bros 3 yet it didn't launch in the UK until late 91.

Just the way or was back then.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comment

PAL isn’t even necessarily inferior for games. Better colour and higher resolution at 50fps. 50 is fine. Most modern games are 30. Problem was when games were made for 60hz and gameplay loop was tied to the refresh rate and no effort was made to port to pal so we got slower gameplay and 56 wasted lines of resolution and borders and a squashed image. If a game was designed for pal then it could be great.

Comment

Yeah sorry, the "inferior" mention was meant to be assumed at having slower and bordered ports.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Still doesn't explain why Sega put the FM sound unit inside the JPN SMS and not ours.

Comment

Working...
                                X