No announcement yet.

Life as a Parent 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope he's ok teddy. Thoughts are with you. Clinging on to this working from home gig for as long as I can. Especially with my first kid on the way.

Comment

They've taken bloods and fitted a cannula

I fainted.

Comment

That's awful, teddy. I couldn't concentrate at work for a while after reading your post.

How's Harry doing now?

Comment

He's home. To be fair he came home Tuesday but we've been back up to the hospital twice since.

Best diagnosis is that he had a virus which weakened his immune system and allowed a really nasty chest infection to take hold. Doctor and nurses were being very cautious due to possibility of sepsis. That was very scary!!

The cannula that they put in at his elbow crease had a kink meaning the second dose of IV antiB they wanted to give him wouldn't go in so they took it out to replace with another in his hand but he would not stay still. 4 nurses holding him down and he was pulling free!!!

Doctor gave us another option if daily injections of high dose antiB into his thighs which is what we've been doing. Last dose tomorrow thankfully.

You can tell he's feeling better as he has been playing and has eaten a little bit. Most of the time he just wants cuddles which I'm not going to say no to.

The biggest thing now is that the infection is dispersing is that he is having some nasty coughing fits. They really shake him up as they hit as he relaxes and is drifting off to sleep. Once he is asleep he's fine though.

We're almost in the clear though, hopefully back to normal for Monday.

Comment

The one really good thing with kids, which will hopefully kick in soon for you, is they're amazing at bouncing back from illness and injury really quickly. If it's all done for Monday with any luck it'll just be a memory come the weekend

Comment

SFJr1 picked up from school last night to be told there's been a last minute change in school registration and all the kids need reapplying online that night. Filled out the application asap but man, could it bang on anymore about the role religion plays into school placements... utterly disgusting.

Comment

So, I'm relaxing last night and I hear 'DADDY!! I'VE DONE A BIG POO', which was promptly followed by 'YOU'VE GOT TO COME AND SEE IT'.

I'm not sure if I should be disgusted or proud. I mean, this thing was gargantuan. I'd have been impressed if a fully grown man had birthed something that size. Is this normal for a child to do this(Be so proud of it I mean), as my partner says none of her other kids have done it?
                Last edited by MonkeyJuggleDX; 06-12-2018, 06:30. Reason: Spellinz

Comment

Yep. That's normal. My number two (heh, second kid) was always immensely proud of her poos and would call us on a regular basis to see, long after we ever wanted to. Probably related but she never really grew out of toilet humour.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                    So, I'm relaxing last night and I hear 'DADDY!! I'VE DONE A BIG POO', which was promptly followed by 'YOU'VE GO TO COME AND SEE IT'.

I'm not sure if I should be disgusted or proud. I mean, this thing was gargantuan. I'd have been impressed if a fully grown man had birthed something that size. Is this normal for a child to do this(Be so proud of it I mean), as my partner says none of her other kids have done it?
                    Well, she is your kid...

Comment

SFJr1 did a poo last night, he felt the need and instead of doing it in his nappy he squatted into position and carried out the deed... whilst in the shower. The water really makes it tricky to clean up too, and grim when you've still yet to have your shower yourself...

Comment

Life as a Poorent 2.4

Comment

I've been struggling to get my head around something my 12-yr old has been covering at school. As part of the national curriculum they have to learn about citizenship and the importance of debate. But it's the subject matter they're using that I'm not happy about. For weeks they've been learning about the James Bulger case. All about it. Culminating in a film they watched on Friday. My son was clearly affected by it after school and at bedtime he started shaking and losing control of his breathing ... asking that me and Eve sleep either side of him because he was scared (after the film the teacher told them the perps were just up the road in Durham). During this whole episode on Friday night he said "Dad, I can't get the words and pictures out of my head".

I've always tried to let our two have a childhood. When I was a kid there was news on in the house constantly and I hated it (I still hate it) so I've never subjected them to it. I still stand by that. And I think at 12 it's a bit much learning about such a horrific crime that most would find upsetting ... and would perhaps choose not to watch a film about with graphic images, upsetting images and detailed accounts of torture and murder.

We've contacted the school and the head of the year told my wife that the teacher should have been an opt-out ... but unless that's done with discretion there's not a kid in the class that would lose face by saying they didn't want to watch it. I'm still trying to speak with them to make sure it doesn't happen again. I wouldn't have wanted it in my head at 12. But maybe that's just me.
                          Last edited by Atticus; 06-12-2018, 10:19.

Comment

It's not just you.

It sickens anyone who hears the details.

It's a bit of a life-changing moment (for the worse) when you hear the details of what they did.

I'm sure there are much better examples of citizenship and debate the school could've used.

I'm sorry your son has been affected by it, but it shows what a sensitive and caring person they are.
                            Let him know you love him, you'd never let anything like that happen to him and try to say something light like "now you know why we want to you to be contactable when you're out with your mates!"

Let us know what the school says.

Comment

For a xmas treat the kids get to watch a Hostel/Human Centipede double bill.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                I'm sorry your son has been affected by it, but it shows what a sensitive and caring person they are.
                                Let him know you love him, you'd never let anything like that happen to him and try to say something light like "now you know why we want to you to be contactable when you're out with your mates!"

Let us know what the school says.
                                Cheers buddy, I will update for sure. Tom's a little softie ... luckily my big bro (who's a policeman) is great in a crisis and came round Saturday morning. Tom clocked his new iphone x and off they went. I didn't ask for the details but it made a difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X