No announcement yet.

Life as a Parent 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I had forgotten about those bottles. Yep, changing bottles really helped us at once point. If you make sure they are the right way up while feeding, nowhere near as much air gets taken in with the feed.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      Another terrible day and evening.

He also shat in the bath, and ended up with cack on his arms, bollocks and neck. Normally id find this hilarious, but it was ten to 8, I hadn’t eaten, and the thought of starting again really annoyed me. The missus is close to taking him to A&E. She’s at her wits end and doesn’t no what else to do.

Appreciate all the kindness and encouragement, though, lads.
      Argh, I wish I was there to help. Poor little guy.

Comment

[MENTION=1218]Zaki[/MENTION] Colief is good - it actually works. It breaks down lactose into lactase, as lactose-intolerance is one cause of colic.

One of the twins was lactose intolerant- which he has now grown out of (by the age of 3 or 4). They turn 8 in a couple of days and still disturb our sleep with illness, nightmares and occasional bed-wetting!

Good luck to [MENTION=7343]prinnysquad[/MENTION] - it's a tough time when you're in the maelstrom of it all.
        Last edited by gunrock; 19-03-2019, 10:02.

Comment

Cheers fellas.

Thanks for those suggestions Zaki. I’ll see if I can get them!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

If our second was like our first, there probably wouldn't be a second, but our first lulled us into a false sense of security.
            This! Nancy is the polar opposite of Harry. Like you say if she'd been first she'd be an only child!

Comment

The lad’s bollocks are massive and proper saggy, so not full of piss.

Now ‘Er Indoors is convinced he’s got a hernia, because some woman on the phone from that tosspot housing company we bought off heard him screaming during a conversation and said it reminded her of her kid, who screamed like that and ended up being diagnosed with a hernia and having an op.

Fighting paranoia added to the list of fires to contain.

Comment

One of the biggest bug bears of having anew child is the amount of fear mongering and projecting others do on your child. As the parent you'll quickly develop a good sense of what's right and what's not for your child so make sure that as far as everyone else's opinions are concerned they can f--- off.

Comment

We're getting to the end of potty training with SFJr1 and if he has a really good day and nails it he gets a few pennies as a reward to put in a little cup so once it's all done he'll be able to buy a little toy as a reward for doing so well. Last night:

Us to SFJr1: "What do you want for dinner tonight?"

SFJr1: "I want McDonalds"

Us: "No, not tonight, tell us what you want to eat though"

SFJr1: "I want McDonalds!"

Us: "You can't have McDonalds, we don't have any more pennies to buy McDonalds"

SFJr1: "... I have pennies... in my cup. I buy you McDonalds"

Us: "... aww"

SFJr1: "Yeah... and you Daddy and Sister"

So... he got McDonalds

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                    ... and ended up being diagnosed with a hernia and having an op.

Fighting paranoia added to the list of fires to contain.
                    Make sure you Google the symptoms, to make things worse!

I can't find a YouTube clip, but Michael McIntyre does a great routine about Calpol.
                    When you have your first, you're wracked with guilt that you're drugging your precious first born, but by the second child, you're using a SuperSoaker to blast it in at the first sign of any issue, mainly as it acts as a placebo and makes them calm down and become better people!

You're going to be edgy with your first and we couldn't go away anywhere without an eventual trip to A&E about something.

Babies have the best healthcare out of anyone and I'm sure if it was a hernia, they'd pick it up. Just ask when you're there next.
                    Rather than taking the word of somebody on the phone with no medical experience.

Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

Comment

Greetings all!

I used to be a more frequent poster on the forum but simply lost touch with gaming and so had little reason to be on here as time passed. I recently borrowed a colleague's PS4 to play the Resi 2 remake and found myself back on here, also pleasantly surprised to see a pretty active parenting thread.

I became a first time father in late October to a bouncing baby boy - my little Charlie. My wife and I hoped for a natural birth, but after a torturous 58 hour labour, he ended up being delivered via emergency C-section.

Reading through the more recent pages, I can echo a lot of what everybody's been through, especially prinny's experience which is what convinced me to post.

To prinny: do you drive to your workplace and is it possible to commute via public transport? I ask because I commute via public transport to the office 5 days a week and find that hour to myself so incredibly precious. I listen to podcasts, watch an odd episode of something on my phone, do some reading, or simply have a cat nap. Noise cancelling headphones also help majorly here! As a runner, I run-commute from the office 3x times a week, which has allowed me to keep that side of the hobby up without eating into family time and on occasion, even gets me home faster than on public transport! Upon returning home, I jump into the bath with my son and that kills another two birds with one stone.

The first two months were incredibly difficult. As you said earlier in the thread, you feel like a butler answering every cry with nothing in return. This all changed once Charlie began smiling and he's now laughing and I can actually proactively get a positive response from him. At nearly 5 months now, I'm actively wanting to play with him to eke out more of his developing personality to see what makes him tick. Those challenging first few weeks are still vivid, but their memory is diminishing. Parenting is starting to feel rewarding now.

Comment

Possible breakthrough lads.

Wor lass took him to the mother/baby health group today. He screamed for two hours. The health visitor said she’d ask a doctor to look at him. Apparently she knocked on his door, went in, and without her saying a word he said, “You’re here about the baby who’s been screaming downstairs for two hours, aren’t you?”

He seems to think he’s cow’s milk intolerant. We’ve got some powdered stuff. We’ve got hope.

The missus has to avoid dairy while breastfeeding, which she’s gutted about. But I’ve said I’ll cut out loads too in solidarity.

Hope.

Taka: I drive about 20 mins to work. It’s a godsend, isn’t it? A time of solace. I know it’s bad, but a few times I’ve gone back the long way.

Comment

Good luck! It would be fantastic if this eases things.

Comment

He’s asleep in the bouncer. To be given a glimmer of hope... I’m so relieved I could cry.

Comment

Amazing. Quick! Go play games!

Comment

Working...
                              X