No announcement yet.

Life as a Parent 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It certainly looks like a lot more fun than PUBG, but then again so does Galaga.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
      No waiting for birthdays, christmas, pocket money or constant badgering required.
      If only. In game purchases loom large. New outfits are what they all want ... and they're nearly £20 a pop.

Comment

I'm really undecided at what approach to take when I get to that stage. SFJr1 turns 3 this summer so has only had the bare minimum of knowledge of gaming. He's aware what a controller is and that the buttons affect the on screen actions but he has little to no interest thankfully at the moment. I tend to game when he's not around so I'm curious as to when the interest will kick in, I assume school plays a large part and that's where fad titles like Fortnite also come from.

We're in the build up to SFJr2's first birthday. A year gone already! It's obscene how fast time passes with kids. One year down means she's already drifting well into toddlerdom and a year is already gone in the inevitable countdown to SFJr3.

Comment

Well, here we are, back up at the hospital.

Nancy having her 6 month cardiac check-up.

She still has a nadty cold but it's turning into a proper cough and the bringing up of funk so hopefully it's on the way out.

She appears to have a bad case of hives today though. Red rash with white blotches which is seemingly moving around her body. It's quite common with bad colds in infants though.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            It is reassuring mine aren't the only two so taken by it

As for other fads/trends, they have all been far less of an obsession than Fortnite. That's the difference I'm experiencing.

I applied a daily allowance of time on my youngest son's console but it always runs out during 'the most amazing game ever' so causes much frustration. That's why we've just taken the consoles away for a bit ... just need them to re-focus on other things.
            My friends son recently got a ps4 (11) and it was all he talked about, he had strict time limits on it and he always uses all that time up and had to be be told to turn it off. I've got a theory on this and I think this is because the more you push one way the more you make it attractive. he's been caught going back on it a few times after his time was up when he was supposed to be doing homework or other things so it's created quite a number of issues.

I had a chat with them about it as I've not set limits with my son but just tell him to turn it off when i think its time to do something else but often it doesn't get to that. I am quite happy to let him get games out of his system as he's super active Normally. I suggested to my friend to remove the time limits this holidays to see if he just needed to get it out of his system as hes never been aloud longer than an hour on it. It's kind of worked, as he was outside having a Nerf war with a few other kids from the neighborhood yesterday rather than playing PS4, even though they had the option. it's not gonna work for everyone as some kids like adults can't regulate themselves but its worth a try.

Comment

If kids *only* want to play video games all the time then they need to be shown equally engaging alternatives. Nerf is great; as is music, Warhammer, board games, sports, martial arts, arts and crafts, etc.

My son is probably going to hate gaming. It'll be that nerdy thing that Dad's into, or at least the games I play being mainly Nintendo and retro stuff - knowing my luck he'll want a BillBox with PUBG like every other dullard at his school.

Comment

Oh, should probably update...

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Nancy has been discharged from the care of the paediatric cardiologist.

Both of the holes she had in her heart have closed completely and he is very happy with how she's doing.

I actually wept when he said "all clear".

Comment

That's excellent news.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    That's excellent news.
                    Cheers Dave. It's just a huge weight off to know she can now just be a typical stroppy infant and we don't have to worry so much.

Comment

I'm going to miss this baby phase. Jimbo is almost at the point where I can't cradle him in my arms any more.

I don't know what I'm going to do to get my baby fix later on. We can have more of course, but I mean after that, even. I'd like a job where I get to cuddle and kiss babies all day. I wouldn't know how to even approach something like that without coming across as a massive pedo.

Comment

That's how they get you, before you know it there's a small football team growing in your household

Comment

[MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION]: He's a cute wee man, ain't he?! I know exactly what you mean, my boys juts turned 7 and as great as that is - the rose tinted specs only allow me to miss the baby/toddler stages. If I could these specs off I'd remember the real world ****-smeared specs I once had!

Comment

I'm going to miss this baby phase. Jimbo is almost at the point where I can't cradle him in my arms any more.

He's very cute

I don't know what I'm going to do to get my baby fix later on. We can have more of course, but I mean after that, even. I'd like a job where I get to cuddle and kiss babies all day. I wouldn't know how to even approach something like that without coming across as a massive pedo.
                            Would love to see your updated CV

Comment

How the hell do things get to this point so fast?

Got home yesterday to find a letter from the school confirming SFJr1 will start in pre-school from this September. Only got a few months to teach potty training now and I'm not sure he's ready

Comment

Wouldn't arrive for a long time yet but given how quickly time flies... seriously chatter happening at the moment about whether to commit to the idea of having an SFJr3 or not

Comment

Working...
                                X