Life as a Parent 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nancy is 9 months old next week!

Harry is 3 years old in 3 weeks! He's been invited to his first birthday party by a girl at his nursery tomorrow at a soft play place in town.

We're desperately starting to run low on storage space at our house now though. Flat roofed, three bedroom house makes things really tricky. Not helped by the wife being a borderline hoarder.

Comment

My youngest fell yesterday and smacked her face, causing a fairly huge and deep cut across her nose. Hospital yesterday and had to go back to get it stitched up under general anaesthetic today. She’ll have one impressive scar at the end of it. When I got home from work yesterday she was still wearing the same clothes and was covered in her own blood. According to my eldest, it was literally squirting over the playground and they left it looking like a crime scene. Apparently a load of other kids were freaking out.

She’s very swollen and bandaged now. In good form but not a pleasant parenting couple of days for us.

Comment

I hope she recovers well Also hope the scar heals nicely.

Comment

God help us (and we'll see how it goes) but after a few serious chats we've committed to SFJr3.

Not going to try yet for a couple of reasons but we have a timeframe and a good idea of how (hopefully) the next two or so years will unfold. Part of my brain still can't imagine how it'll cope with the current chaos+1

Comment

You nutter.

Comment

Turbo nutter heh, but good luck!
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I know
                Attempting for both the existing two lead to some real lows before we ended up with the bambino's but the end result always provided more than enough pay off. Another would be the very last one and despite how much work it'll be we figured we'd regret it later if we didn't and had the chance.

Comment

My brother, his wife and two daughters aged 4 and 7 came over from the States to stay with me for two weeks. Took 'em to the beach, took 'em to feed the horses, up on the mountain, out on the lake, in the fields. Great fun. I love the way children think and play. It's so unconditioned. I had a ball playing with them. I have a very childish, silly side and children let me express it unreservedly. Still wouldn't want any of my own though. They're a big responsibility. And an even bigger expense. I don't believe I could get away with my 16-20 hour working week if I had kids to feed and clothe. But, yeah, they're delightful to hang out with. Better than adults in many ways.

Comment

In almost every way If kids were in charge they'd introduce Logan's Run Law first thing to stop the nutball scenarios the world find itself in these days

Comment

Introduction day to Reception at the school last week with SFJr1. Typically he took to it like a fish to water and spent the whole time darting around whilst others sat with their parents. He really couldn't care less about nerves and would have happily been left there for the day if he could so no need to worry about when he starts in September then.

Comment

Harry had parent evening at nursery today.

He is only just 36 months old but he is listed as advanced for everything they are monitoring.

I have never felt pride like it!!

Comment

I'm slowly getting my eldest son (7) into Pokemon. He's currently playing through Emerald on GBA. He's watching the animated series (as are my younger 2). He has read a hundred page Pokemon story book in two days. I bought him an encyclopaedia of over 700 Pokemon an he loves it. He's looking forward to the Switch release in November.

The mad thing is, I never played the game back in the day. I've only started playing through one of them this week. I've always seen the appeal. The artwork, RPG elements and the collecting. I think there's some simple maths and elemental logics that are good for younglings. I may be wrong. It's just great to see him getting into it.

I've probably planted the evil seed of game addiction now haven't I? :P
                          Last edited by hudson; 04-07-2018, 21:37.

Comment

My 9 yr old has been enjoying Pokémon lately, his interest reignited by a friend who's a big fan.

In other news I've removed both boys Xbox set-ups completely. They'll stay removed until their 6 months gold runs out. They were fine with gaming prior to having gold/Fortnite ... never over-did it, always came straight for tea, etc ... but those two factors have had such a negative effect. There's the addictive nature which forced me to limit screen-time, something I never had to do before, and the game sometimes makes them aggressive, screaming over loot drops and stuff, it's appalling behaviour and the ban hammer was the only option. I'll be mega unpopular for a bit but I'm not shifting. I've said it before on here but xbox live gold and Fortnite has had a pretty negative effect on them. I wanted to give them the opportunity to play what their friends were playing but it just takes over. Now they need to rediscover the pass-times they enjoyed (outside of the ton of sports they do, in fairness to them) before Fortnite/gold came along.

Comment

Schools impact on gaming with SFJr1 will be a fun one to navigate next year. Still managed to mostly keep gaming out of his life entirely up until now, the influence of school friends though... urgh.

Comment

The birth rate has fallen to its lowest level for 12 years as couples defer having children or opt for smaller families, according to figures from the Office for National Statistics.There were 679,106 births in England and Wales last year, down by 2.5 per cent from 2016 and the lowest number of live

Birthrates are at a 12 year low

Glad to be doing my bit to bolster the figures then

Comment

Working...
                                X