No announcement yet.

Life as a Parent 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep that is where I am with our baby. We are stopping here so it's good to try and be mindful that this is a precious time. Hopefully you have a chill baby too. It really is a different experience.

We got a bottle making machine from Tommee Tippee and that has made a world of differences. Bottles take a minute to make instead of waiting ages for them to cool down with a screaming baby!

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
      Yep that is where I am with our baby. We are stopping here so it's good to try and be mindful that this is a precious time. Hopefully you have a chill baby too. It really is a different experience.

We got a bottle making machine from Tommee Tippee and that has made a world of differences. Bottles take a minute to make instead of waiting ages for them to cool down with a screaming baby!
      We've got a perfect prep machine too. I was sceptical at first but it's a god send. We measure out the feeds the night before in to pots so we can just tip it in to the bottle and press the button when the time comes.

Comment

Well that's another parent's evening done.

Eldest progressing well with both literacy and numeracy but he favours the latter - he hasn't got that from me. I was much more English then Maths.

His concentration can wander though and he tends to get easily distracted - for that I am guilty as that was me in a nutshell at school.

Comment

I'm the same - I prefer maths and am easily distra--SQUIRREL!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            Well that's another parent's evening done.

Eldest progressing well with both literacy and numeracy but he favours the latter - he hasn't got that from me. I was much more English then Maths.

His concentration can wander though and he tends to get easily distracted - for that I am guilty as that was me in a nutshell at school.

That's the same feedback as mine got... did... did we have a baby together?

Comment

Sounds like me too, although the English side writing wise developed in my late teens finally, but I still prefer numbers.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                Sounds like me too, although the English side writing wise developed in my late teens finally, but I still prefer numbers.
                and C64 cartridges!

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                  and C64 cartridges!
                  Some things don't need saying

Kathryn home early today from nursery, possible chickenpox. Not great for me or the missus for differing reasons, but we shall see how this progresses...
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Been informed today by the hospital that they anticipate all social distances measures to be in place until at least mid to late June and as such I'm not permitted to enter the hospital to attend the second scan of Jr3 in May.

Could be worse though, they're applying it to births meaning anyone having a baby delivered atm is apparently freaking out because no partners can be alongside the mother during the birth

Comment

They can use one of these:

Comment

So my wife is working from home and I'm still going out to work ... she has to do her job and somehow motivate two secondary school boys to work. I do some bits when I get home but it's a massive strain on her. I've definitely got it easier at present ... although it's me queuing at the supermarket every other day ... it's still so much easier.

It doesn't help that the boys' work is all over the place: big folder full of scans/prints that you can hardly read, emails, online, social media, it's such a pain to get in any order, and get them to focus and do it.

I keep telling her not to put too much pressure on herself, we need to get through this healthy, that's all that really matters. the boys need to keep their hand in but there's a balance. Their generation may end up being known as the Corona kids ... the ones that lost half a year of schooling.

Comment

Yeah. It's interesting seeing my two kids work at home because, aside from their different personalities, one school was completely set up for remote online working and the other wasn't. There has been almost no disruption for my kid that learns using tech. All her work was done on a laptop anyway, goes through onedrive or something like that, they now have about 4-5 video call lessons a day, the work is tracked and marked really quickly and she does a full day's work plus homework. My other kid is being sent scans and fairly random stuff and I have no idea if the work is being monitored other than me checking it's done and she is doing less than 50% of a school day.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            So my wife is working from home and I'm still going out to work ... she has to do her job and somehow motivate two secondary school boys to work. I do some bits when I get home but it's a massive strain on her. I've definitely got it easier at present ... although it's me queuing at the supermarket every other day ... it's still so much easier.

It doesn't help that the boys' work is all over the place: big folder full of scans/prints that you can hardly read, emails, online, social media, it's such a pain to get in any order, and get them to focus and do it.

I keep telling her not to put too much pressure on herself, we need to get through this healthy, that's all that really matters. the boys need to keep their hand in but there's a balance. Their generation may end up being known as the Corona kids ... the ones that lost half a year of schooling.
                            Just leave em on the xbox. I think there is more than enough time on the school day next year to catch up any losses. Loads of days are lost due to daft college and uni visits, trips to various places etc etc. They was have to cancel all the fluff and knuckle down for once.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              4-5 video call lessons a day, the work is tracked and marked really quickly
                              That sounds brilliant. That kind of link would make such a difference to our two. A proper connection with a school day ... getting their brains out of home-mode ... seeing a teacher every day. Love the sound of that.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                                Just leave em on the xbox. I think there is more than enough time on the school day next year to catch up any losses. Loads of days are lost due to daft college and uni visits, trips to various places etc etc. They was have to cancel all the fluff and knuckle down for once.
                                Are they paying you?

You have a point vp. There is a balance to strike. And I wish in a way that the school had communicated to us not to put ourselves or the kids under too much pressure. Whatever they can do is a plus. They're already having to cope without seeing heir friends and going places, worried about grandparents, whether they'll get a holiday this year. They don't verbalise it loads but they're having to cope like the rest of us, and happiness is as important as anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X