Assassin's Creed: Origins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assassin's Creed: Origins

Despite all the furore the franchise has seen over the last few entries I've stuck with it and here I am with its returning entry that has been very well received all round and...

I'm bored. I'm very early and it's a lovely looking game with the reworked combat system seeming to be decent enough but Ubisofts decision to be inspired by The Witcher III seems to have had the same effect on me as that game. The game world so far looks lovely but I find it so bland to wander that I'm literally falling asleep every time I play the game.

I may need to just drop the game and return to it later but this weekend I want to try and push on some more.

I’m loving it.Had me addicted from the start.Graphics are beautiful on the X.So many little touches in the game.Been playing snce Christmas Day and I’m at level 27 and still haven’t completed the main quest

Comment

Can you stand atop the Great pyramid of Giza?

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
        Can you stand atop the Great pyramid of Giza?
        You can certainly stand on top of the pyramids

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

The game is fantastic but a slow starter. Stick with it and it really hits it's stride about 10 hours in.

Comment

Finally finished the main story at level 34 and 35 hours played.Thoroughly enjoyed the quest.I see its had an update so won't be finished with it just yet

Comment

There's a few cool things to do post completion... Just head to the assassin's den to get a list.

There's a FFXV crossover quest for a weird chocobo camel as well.

Comment

I like Assassin's Creed. Even when the series went stale and a bit tits up (Revelations onwards in my opinion), I still enjoyed the series. I've not played every game, but if I have a gaming guilty pleasure, it's probably Assassin's Creed.

And I'm enjoying this too. It reminds me of Skyrim in many ways because the real star of the show is the landscape and those moments alone when you stumble upon or witness something magical: entering a lost tomb, getting caught in a sandstorm, seeing the dawn Sun emerging from behind the pyramids, a flock of birds taking flight from the river Nile, traversing the desert by dusk on camelback; the game is full of those special moments. But unfortunately, again, just like Skyrim, the wonderful sense of immersion and suspension of disbelief is shattered the moment you interact with any of the NPC characters who are all dull and idiotic. They're like zombies, The voice acting too, like Skyrim's, is atrocious. Not only is the NPC voice acting laughable, but the main dude, who's supposedly Egyptian, sounds like a West African ( Nigerian in particular) and that ruins all the dialogue for me (and there's a LOT of dialogue).

I don't like the climbing mechanics much either, in the old games you would have to look for grips and plan you're vertical ascent accordingly. You had to do it. And, yes, it could lead to frustration is you messed up and had to start over but it also meant a degree of satisfaction when you got to the top. Now you can climb up most things just by holding up. I don't like that. It's too automated. And there's no satisfaction in that. The grammar is pretty bad too. I've seen stuff like Icarus's in the subtitles, instead of Icarus'. Heard the word 'bullsh*t' used in the game which is ill-fitting considering the word didn't come into use until the 17th century. And Cleopatra speaks in an English accent! Haha. It's full of annoying crap like that.

But enough with the negatives. It's a beautiful looking game with the best use of HDR I've seen. The desert is a bright environment and this game is bright! The music is nice, and fitting, if a little generic. I I would have preferred music from artists like Natacha Atlas (an Egyptian) or Asam Ali (a Persian) whose music is so full of beauty and emotion and just perfect for the setting. The combat is much better than previous games and a bit like Dark Souls' - albeit not nearly as refined. Also the crafting/upgrade/perk system works quite well and doesn't feel like a grind. The game feels more like an RPG now rather than an action game. But it's the setting I like most. As a kid I was obsessed with ancient civilisations. I had so many books on ancient China, Persia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, their religions, gods, customs, sages and philosophers, and I still love all that stuff today. Any game that let's me explore ancient Egypt and visit The Lighthouse of Alexandria (one of the ancient wonders of the world, no less) or The Library of Alexandria (at the time the biggest in the world. I often wonder how different the world might be today had Alexander the Great not burnt down the library and all the knowledge it contained. What a twat he was.)... but I digress, any game that let's me visit Giza and Memphis and witness the pyramids decked out in original, pristine limestone, and see the obelisks, statues, tombs and hieroglyphs attracts my interest. I just love that stuff.
                  Last edited by Zen Monkey; 19-01-2018, 13:30.

Comment

Enjoying this more and more. Ventured over to Giza and dug around inside a couple of pyramids and they seem pretty faithful to the real pyramids, inside and out. The step pyramid, the bent pyramid, Khufu's great pyramid, the Meidum pyramid, the're all present and complete, including the surrounding lesser and damaged ones. It's a really sound reconstruction. They missed a trick with the sphinx though because they could have programmed the sphinx's nose (which is famously missing) to fall off when the player climbs on it. That coulda been a cool little moment. I should be a game designer.

The voice acting is annoying me more and more though, practically every voice sounds like a non-Arab pretending to be an Arab. And the Greek accents are no better. It's awful. I wish there was an option to play the game in Arabic with English subs. I realise they probably spoke a combination of ancient Egyptian and ancient Greek in Epypt 2000 years ago, but Arabic would suit the game so much more than fake pigeon English.

Comment

The music in the game doesn't sound very Egyptian either. It's pretty enough but sounds more Morrocan/Algerian. They coulda used stuff like this:

It's beautiful and powerful and emotional and, most importantly, it's Egyptian.

Comment

I'm not the biggest Assassin's Creed fan in the world but I rather liked the look of this. Enjoying it so far but there's something I really miss after playing Breath of the Wild: aiming arrows by tilting the controller. It's my std reaction when aiming an arrow now, and going back to using a thumb stick feels somewhat archaic.

However, apart from that, I'm having fun. I do like a map full of possibilities and things to do and ways to get stronger, so I'm feeling spoilt pretty quickly. I also like infiltrating compounds and being stealthy. And I also like how pretty the game is, definitely a looker. So it's ticking a few boxes ... I just hope the story, when it kicks in, gives the events a sense of purpose/achievement/satisfaction, etc.

For now I'm happy hunting and crafting ... and roaming around helping folk out and solving their problems, like Bill Bixby's David Banner.
                        Last edited by Atticus; 24-01-2018, 10:26.

Comment

Bought this as it was a mere twenty-something quid for the digital download at cdkeys.com. It's rather good so far. Haven't played a game in the series for a while. Seems to be a lot more fluid in movement and combat than I remember, and the game world looks mahoooooosive!

Comment

The last one I played was Syndicate. I loved the Victorian London vibe but I didn't like how the character interacted with the world. Exploring a factory I felt like I was snapping to the scenery everywhere I moved ... like I was playing Jet Set Radio or something. Happy to say the character control feels more free this time. Combat is pretty fun too.

Comment

I can't believe how long ago I last tried this, what has happened to this year?!

I'm now - I'm not sure, 60% of the way through the main story? I'm just going to come out and say it - I feel like most of those bowled over by this must have been lapsed fans who'd skipped the last couple of releases because it feels like a massive con job from Ubi to pass this off as not being mostly more of the same.

It looks good and the mission structure is easy to follow. The Egyptian setting is gorgeous and well realised but at the same time repetitive after so many hours and so early in the timeline that it plays 'flatter' than past games with possibly the least verticality to it of the franchise which slightly undermines the point of the mechanics. Combat is better, not amazing but better. The game world is insanely large but I don't feel it adds much to the experience given the lack of variety and less vertical nature to most of it, it's largely the same as other action rpgs out there. In fact numbers, stat numbers feel like the biggest addition but AC games always bordered on being a chore so adding this reliance on levelling up drags the game out even more.

As yet - it's a decent game but it's more importantly a decent AC game. Hopefully I'll eventually find Odyssey's setting more appealing to play around in but this isn't the direction I wanted AC to go in as it's going to really push loyalty if they keep knocking out drawn out entries.

Comment

Working...
                              X