This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished Silicon Valley.

Marvellous. I was hooked and have burned through all five seasons in a few weeks.

Comment

Line of Duty was good, but not incredible.

They've got to a point where people expect red herrings, so you never take anything for face value and characters do silly things just to throw you off the scent.

Also, they now link all the seasons together with this one big story of corruption at the highest level.
      It probably should have been resolved this season, but there's still a question mark.

Either do one more series and wind it up, or drop the background storyline and start afresh just investigating corruption.

Comment

Taskmaster started again last night on Dave.

If you've not seen it, start now!
        You really don't need to have seen the other shows, but the beauty of the show is seeing the characters of the contestants come out.
        One person will attack every challenge with enthusiasm, another will think laterally and another will always do something completely ridiculous.

I didn't watch it though, as we ended up captivated by Earth from Space on BBC1 HD.

Beautiful, but a bit depressing at how much we're screwing the environment.

Comment

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Season 4
          Okay, as the season goes on they start to really start coming up with stupider and stupider plot set ups as the show starts pulling a Simpsons thanks to the core set up being so limited in potential. I can only imagine how strained for credibility set ups get over the course of the following 9/10 seasons.

Comment

Line of Duty: Series 5
            ... it was okay. To be honest it was worth it just to get the storyline out the way about 'is it isn't it' out the way as it was an often dangled but never believable thread. Entertaining as it was there was a definite sense of padding about this series of the show and it feels like two more is about as far as it can credibly be stretched now.

Also today:
            http://www.darkhorizons.com/multiple...2019-upfronts/
            http://www.darkhorizons.com/fox-rene...-third-season/
            A list of shows in the US that have just been axed:

-Lethal Weapon
            -The Passage
            -Star
            -The Cool Kids
            -Rel
            -The Gifted
            -Life in Pieces
            -Murphy Brown
            -Fam
            -Happy Together
            -Trial and Error
            -I Feel Bad
            -Speechless
            -For the People
            -The Fix
            -Take Two
            -The Kids Are Alright
            -Splitting Up Together

Renewed:
            -Blindspot
            -The Rookie
            -Bless this Mess
            -American Housewife
            -Single Parents
            -Fresh off the Boat
            -Bull
            -The Orville

Comment

Finished the second season of American Gods last night. Has anyone else watched it? Not really spoilers, but some general thoughts below...

While I wouldn't say I disliked it, I do feel that it's not really gone anywhere at all. Various bits of backstory have been filled in, but only a small number of characters actually had anything significant happen to them over the course of it, and very little actually happened to move the main story on.

Comment

It's on my radar [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION]. Loved the first season and will hopefully be starting the second soon.

Comment

Kingdom

Set in Korea’s medieval Joseon period, this six part Netflix series revolves around a royal/political conspiracy and the outbreak of a mysterious plague. I won't say too much about the plot but it's definitely worth watching as the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous and the acting superb. I was sold as soon as I saw the following trailer and can't wait for season 2:

Comment

Louis Theroux Mother's on the Edge

Louis visits psychiatric wards to speak with mothers suffering from emotional and mental issues after giving birth. A sad watch but very interesting to see the many ways that the reality of childbirth can fail to meet the expectation.

Charlotte Church: Inside My Brain

A documentary looking at the increase in mental health disorders like anxiety and depression and the cutting edge research used to map the brain and the search for treatment. Magic mushrooms are the most successful form of treatment, with a single dose curing about a quarter of all those who participated in the trial. Remarkable.

Comment

Storyville - A German Life: Goebbels' Secretary Remembers

This was an incredibly hard watch. I hadn't forgotten the atrocities committed during world war 2, but had forgotten the feeling that washes over you watching the video footage of starved Jews shuffling out of camps, all skin and bone, too weak to walk and the piles upon piles of corpses, stacked up like building materials. There are no words for that feeling.

Comment

What We Do In The Shadows started on BBC2 on Sunday night, I think. I watched the first two episodes last night. It's good!

Comment

Gotham: Season 5
                          A couple of filler eps was a shame but then it builds good momentum up to its final ever episode that... completely misses the landing, effectively pulling a lame Smallville trick. Wasted opportunity at the end which is such a massive shame for a show that eventually got so much right.

Comment

Big Bang Theory: Season 12
                            The latter half of the season actually becomes a bit tiresome, like they know how to end but are spinning their wheels due to how many episodes they need to produce. Then about 3 from the end they have a couple of character moments leading to the last scene which very nicely pay off 12 years of character quirks and it turns out that whilst BBT doesn't get a 'big' ending it does get a nice one.

Comment

BBT is an odd one for me. I don't really find it funny (it relies on jokes rather than situations) but it has a feel-good quality that keeps drawing me back. I'm slowly making my way through this final season, and for all it's faults I'll miss it when it's gone.

Comment

Kidding: Season 01
                                Really should have been a one and done as it sets itself up well until the very last moment of the last scene. It's that rarest of thing we talked about not long ago, a strong vehicle for Jim Carrey. There's no gurning, over bearing silly noises nonsense here.

Kidding is about Mr Pickles, a 30 year running kids TV character actor beloved by generations. This picks up a year after one of his sons is killed in a traffic accident and his marriage has fallen apart. He's basically become hard to deal with because he's retreated into his character, a character who firmly believes in the act of kindness to others and being a good person. It does a great job of showcasing Carrey as he sells situations that involve signs Pickles is close to cracking completely. He makes creepy decisions or has violent outbursts and yet you quickly get back behind the character. I won't spoil it but he gives a harrowing speech directed at children at the end of the episode that would have pushed it to a natural end so easily, I don't know if I'll want S2 as I imagine they'll gain length by sacrificing the character's construct as he is in S1. On it's own though it's a bitter sweet run that showcases Carrey very strongly.

Comment

Working...
                                X