Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love it when (sometimes) I finally get round to watching a classic and it absolutely blows my socks off. That film is The Apartment and it's an absolute delight. Love the early Mad Men era Manhattan setting, love watching Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine at the top of their game ... but Billy Wilder is the real star for crafting one of the most beautifully made stories I've had the pleasure to watch. So many great moments. A truly great film.
    Last edited by Atticus; 22-01-2018, 21:53.

Comment

I had the pleasure to rewatch a classic called Mona Lisa. I loved the film in the 80s and it was brilliant to rewatch this classic British film, both Bob Hoskins and Michael Caine are brilliant in this film.

The 80s was just the best for films

Comment

I have an 80s classic next on my list, and a bit of a favourite: Body Double

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I have an 80s classic next on my list, and a bit of a favourite: Body Double
          I still have that on VHS video lol. Bloody awesome film, I must watch Pretty In Pink and Suburbia again too. Have so many 1980's classics on VHS, its silly

Comment

Just watched Shin Godzilla with my Godzilla-mad 9-yr old Great Godzilla film ... really hit the sweet spot blending the old and the new.

Only slight criticism would be it's slightly too long ... I guess the kid in me wanted some of the talky scenes to get a hurry on and get back to the big lad destroying Tokyo

Comment

Jigsaw
              So, it's not awful but the latest entry that revives the series is very much Saw VIII and that includes repeating the same mistakes that Saw IV onwards committed. There's no new ideas here, it's just another retread of the same formula that unpicks the sign off of the previous entry so they now need at least another two films to wrap it up to the same conclusion again.

Comment

Im currently watching Phenomena, the move which inspired the game series, Clock Tower.

Basically its a very odd Italian horror movie and was shot in English however the English language version is sometimes over dubbed in Italian, German and Swedish. It's also very poorly edited and features amazingly out of place BGM and crap acting. But hey, it stars the beautiful Jennifer Connelly, the girl from Labyrinth.

Last edited by Yakumo; 26-01-2018, 03:28.

Comment

I watched Phenomena again recently ... not my favourite Argento film (though I think I read somewhere it's his favourite) ...

Comment

I watched Phenomena again recently ... not my favourite Argento film (though I think I read somewhere it's his favourite) ...
                    To be honest it's very poorly edited. I understand the art behind the movie but I don't think it's executed very well. The acting is so poor too.

Did your version have instances where the English dialogue would be missing? My copy has both the original English language since it was shot in English and the Italian dub. The Italian dub track seems fine but the English track has issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Did your version have instances where the English dialogue would be missing?
                      No, I don't remember any issues at all. I've got the Arrow LE with three versions of the film: I watched the English language version and it was fine.

Comment

No, I don't remember any issues at all. I've got the Arrow LE with three versions of the film: I watched the English language version and it was fine.
                        Hmm, mine must be messed up some how.

Comment

Couple of trips to the cinema this week ...

Darkest Hour: I'm always partial to anything set during WWII ... and I was curious to see Gary Oldman's highly praised turn as Churchill. The film itself is kind of wasted on the cinema, or the cinema was wasted on it. It has a bit of a TV drama feel. It's okay, delivered what you pay your money to see, but nothing more. Pretty forgettable all in all. And I wasn't a fan of Oldman's makeup. Just looked wrong. Made me remember Drac too many times

Coco: Wow. If ever a trailer under-sold a film it's this. It looked so generic in the trailer, but the film is anything but. I'd say it's Disney/Pixar on top form. Really enjoyed it ... perhaps even more than the kids did.

Comment

Murder on the orient express.

Really enjoyed this. Great style, great cast.

Comment

Alien: Covenant - I enjoyed it, on par with Prometheus.

Still surprised they didn't all die, but David will see to that.

Comment

Signs, Mel Gibson crop circle thang, I quite liked it even if it was the cinematic equivalent of a dry fart.

Comment

Working...
                                X