Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Signs is the worst movie ever made.

Comment

Watched Get Out last night. Really enjoyed it. I find it interesting it has been so highly regarded given that it is a very classic horror in many ways but it’s definitely got a unique point of view and has plenty to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        I'm guessing you've never seen Spice World.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Watched Get Out last night. Really enjoyed it.
        Is it not just Meet The Parents without the cat?

Comment

Nope but that’s actually pretty much what I expected. From a talking point view, that’s what I think has made the film quite interesting for people.

Comment

Ruthless People Staring Bette Midler and Danny Devito (1986)

I watched this countless times as a kid, so many times that as an adult I can't remember much of it as the last time I saw it I was maybe 8?
            It was the last film directed by Abrahams and the Zucker brothers together and debut cinema release for Bill Pullman.

Watching it now as part of looking back at films of my child hood/ Bette Midler I had forgotten so much. This film is more 80's than the 8o's was fashion and design wise and, as much as I love Bette Midler, not her greatest film. Its still funny in places but as a Bette Midler film I feel she wasn't giving her best performance, even Danny Devito was more entertaining.

Of all the cast, the most entertaining was Judge Reinhold who plays one of the kidnappers. He and his onscreen wife (Helen Slater) played a very genuine couple that I found very believable and really sweet, which is not something I usually focus on in films.

Glad I watched it though, I will probably lend it to my sister someday who still has fond memories for it. Big Business was and still is the better film of our childhood starring Bette Midler.

Edit - Just something random about the movie we were talking about, the salesman. One theme in this is about how Judge's character is a good salesman who knows his customers and more importantly, knows his tech. Almost all the customers say the line about what they want, what they are looking for and "dont want to get ripped off". Back then in Dixons/ Currys/ PC world and the like had an assistant in the department who knew their stuff and would have some idea and passion on what they sold, still maybe trying to sway you to certain things. But now you go in the shops and no one has any idea what you are on about, or at least, as much as the average person knew before researching a little on exactly what you wanted. Shame really, the only place I get that now is at conventions with people selling their wares. Gamestation was usually pretty good, game not so much.

Sorry, just something random I noticed.
            Last edited by Blobcat; 28-01-2018, 10:33.

Comment

Watched the Criterion Collection Blu-ray release of Sword of Doom the other night. It’s a mid sixties adaptation of a famous novel 大菩薩峠Dai-bosatsu Tōge The Pass of the Great Buddha.
              It’s about a talented, if somewhat unorthodox, swordsman who’s a bit of a bad b*gger. The film follows notable incidents in his life and where these events take him. Great film with strong performances and lovely cinematography. Even has Toshiro Mifune in a smallish role.
              If you like these types Japanese period dramas it’ll be well up your street.

Comment

He’s one bad badger.

Comment

Just watched birdman. Outstanding film making. Really enjoyed it. Great cast

Comment

Originally posted by stevie vip 99 View Post
                    Just watched birdman. Outstanding film making. Really enjoyed it. Great cast
                    Yeah, it's incredible. Keaton was robbed at the Oscars.

Comment

It's free on BBC iPlayer at prez if anyone wants to see it...still haven't seen it myself but lovin' the Keaton renaissance, nice to know we still got some cool actors going strong.

PS: Brad is right about Signs. Water FFS! But I have a soft spot for N. Nike Chamois-man movies. They're very still and quiet and I think Mel Gibson is cool. And an alsatian gets a serving prong in the throat in a 12. Spice World never had that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        I raise you Tellavega Nights in all it's NASCAR glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Yeah, it's incredible. Keaton was robbed at the Oscars.
                          Yeah he was outstanding

Comment

Bright
                            Starts as a 5/10 movie then improves to a 7/10, making it overall a 6/10. It's pretty heavy handed with its Orc messaging and the film is signposted quite heavily too. It improves once things kick off but continues Netflix's issue of throwing money at the problem of making movies without being able to create an end product that feels different from being TV series in scale. Leaves too much to the set up of a second and likely third entry too so in the end, just kind of okay.

The Hitman's Bodyguard
                            Weak film with Reynold's doing his usual watered down Deadpool routine whilst L. Jackson acts as a thorn in his side. Quite an ugly looking film too with lots over oversaturated light and grey scenery.

Comment

Coco
                              After Pixar's steady run of nearly a decade of 'meh' standard films I really wasn't expecting much from this film. In practice it borders on being more the kind of thing Disney Animation would make with its tale of the small boy who wanders into the land of dead to find his extended family and for much of the first 45 minutes its fairly standard fare. Though very blatantly sign posted the film is none the less very effective and likeable, winning you over by the more emotional back end despite knowing what's coming. None of that Inside Out nonsense, this is their best film since TS3 and a surprise improvement for the studio.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                Is there a decent release of True Lies or is it just he vanilla disc?

EDIT:
                                Looks like Cameron is "working on" the True Lies and The Abyss Blu-Rays.
                                No rush, chief...
                                http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/j...-blu-ray-plans
                                Hmmm...

Jamie Lee Curtis, who played Eliza Dushku‘s mother on 1994’s “True Lies,” spoke out in an op-ed about Dushku’s allegation that the film’s stunt coordinator, Joel Kramer, sexually molested her when she was just 12 years old. In the op-ed for the Huffington Post, published on Sunday, Curtis revealed that Dushku told her about the […]

Eliza Dushku has made an allegation that True Lies' stunt coordinator, Joel Kramer, sexually molested her when she was just 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X