This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    I watched Enter The Dragon last night for the first time since about 1992. We taped it off the telly back in the earlyish 80s and me and my bro watched that E-180 tape like sixty times.

And, tbh, I found it quite gash. I still remembered too much, it was almost like I was sick of the sight of it.

Although I did forget Roper kills (potential spoiler ahead) ***o Yeung. In recent years, in my mind, it's melded into Bruce killing ***o. But he kills O'Hara as well as Han. He can't kill EVERY ****er!!!!
    Gash?! Good god man!

I never get tired of this that film.

Comment

Yeah, it's sad. Don't blame me, I don't want to feel this way! Same thing has happened with my fave film, the '78 Dawn Of The Dead. Overexposure. That film has been magic to me my entire life until the last couple of viewings...where it somehow became a bit of a chore/grind to watch.

Comment

So for Xmas nite I settled down to Trainspotting 2 on Netflix, I've been wanting to see it for eons but didn't wanna splash the £4.99 ASDA Living were wanting for the DVD.

The original was, is, brill, rewatchable, fun, epic, it is like the best 70s disco movie about mid-90s Scottish druggies and with the disco replaced by Heaven 17.

This...hmmmmm. Distinctly not great. Not riveting. Definitely not Heaven 17, more East 17.

Felt like new stuff shot for a 20th Anniversary Edition of the original, like an extended DVD extra that goes nowhere.

But Begbie's liver thang truly made me wince. You don't really even see any gore at all, it just makes ya feel sick. I was watching Ash Vs Evil Dead last night with all its acres of ubersplatter that totally never touched the sides yet this outgrossed me by a mile off, just the idea maaaaan.... :O

It's not horrendous, there's quite a few things to like, it's just the original was so damn goooood this amounts to piss on a cloud in comparison, plus we're now in a time where bands like Republica don't exist anymore, it's like a clarion call to the past with a sad, empty, haggard-faced, pointless future. But maybe that's the point? Winners Don't Do Drugs.

But it should've been better, bottom line.
        Last edited by JazzFunk; 26-12-2018, 02:41.

Comment

Nothing is as good as it used to be for poor Jazzy.

Sweets, movies, beer; it's all gone Pete Tong.
          Even he's just playing similar songs that aren't as good as the old ones.

I watched Gremlins and I got the jazzies because it's not as good as I remember. It's aged pretty badly.

Comment

Why on earth is Bolo Yeung censored here?

On the note of Enter the Dragon, I did get to meet Bob Wall (who played O'Hara) about ten years ago, a real nice guy and he still had it karate wise. We had a chat about martial arts as I spent 6-7 years doing it myself, and he asked if he could punch me as a demonstration. Come on, you wouldn't turn it down either! So he did a recreation of Bruce's one inch punch. Sure, didn't knock me over but even though I knew it was coming, it still took a lot of the wind out of me! And the guy was pushing 70 at this point. Didn't flinch though. He was impressed

As for films that I have born repeated viewings, definitely the Star Wars OT. I can probably repeat them ad infinitum (and occasionally do quote) but they still entertain even though I pretty much know everything going on!
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

That's a great story, Mayhem!

Comment

I killed Aliens by over watching ... actually hoping it resets at some point and I can enjoy it again

Comment

Yeah, that's it, that's IT. It's not because I WANT to lose interest, quite the opposite, it's just that stuff like this happens, in the same way I've gone off roast chicken, shish just happens and you don't want it to.

Comment

Tbh, most of my ennui from watching Enter The Dragon near my bday last week was based on the fact I am now a good five/six years older than John Saxon, who I think was the oldest of the three goodies in this.

As a kid, I always envisaged myself as a John Saxon type of figure as an adult, a kung fu Roger Moore type of character. But, alas, the reality turned out different (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) and I can never be any of them and am quite a few years older than John Saxon was in that movie.

I also think both O'Hara and ***o looked like really scary 7ft tall kung fu killer titans back in the day but now realise they look really titchy and unimposing onscreen, the 80s had not happened yet.

Anyway. "gash" was maybe the wrong word. My brain is creating warm feelings again.

Comment

Yeah. The last 30-odd years NOT being either Roger Moore or John Saxon. Entirely NOT.

It's a sobering thought. Hahaha. Lovin it lovin it lovin it, lovin it like *theeeess*.

Comment

I couldn't find any modern films that appealed to me, so I ended up watching an 80s film called 'Murphy's Law' starring Charles Bronson. Some of it was so bad that it made me laugh, but there was an upbeat spirit about it that kept me entertained. It's not a very good film, but like many 80s action flicks, it had a positive energy that made it fun to watch.

Comment

As a Charles Bronson super fan, I’ll fight you right now!

Comment

Last Wednesday I introduced the boy to Gremlins. He's 11 now so around the same age as me when I saw it back in 1985. He loved it, as did I so last night we watched Gremlins 2. I originally was never a massive fan of the 2nd one but watching it again last night I actually really enjoyed it. Needless to say the boy enjoyed it too.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                              Bronson is always a joy to watch, even if some of his films are far from great. Murphy's Law isn't a bad film, but there's definitely an element of 'so bad it's good' about it. There was something fun about it that kept me entertained.

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              I originally was never a massive fan of the 2nd one but watching it again last night I actually really enjoyed it. Needless to say the boy enjoyed it too.
                              The sequel has a completely different vibe about it, but it's definitely a great film in its own right. I think it's full of fun and laughs.

It's nice to know that the new generation can appreciate how special the Gremlins movies are.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                                I'll help you The White Buffalo and Death Wish 1,2,3 are some my of fav films of all time. Charles Bronson was the man.
                                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 27-12-2018, 15:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X