This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Meg

Jason Statham fighting a huge, prehistoric shark.

Good, clean fun.

Comment

I watched Won't You Be My Neighbor? last night, a documentary on Mister Rogers. I don't think he made it over this side of the atlantic but you probably know who he is - he made a children's show for many, many years. I spent some of my preschool years in Singapore where we got US telly so he was always buried in my memory as someone special. The documentary reveals that, yep, he was special. It's quite beautiful. He just says things the world needs to hear, and the children (in all of us) need to hear. Even if you're not all that familiar with him I would recommend watching it. Not sure where it's available - I picked up the US DVD on my last trip there.

Comment

I'm still annoyed about Factotum tbh. I want that 89 minutes back, it felt longer than Titanic with adverts. To think I've had the sealed DVD sitting around for a few years, thinking it would deffo be good maybe like American Splendor was.

And instead it was ass.

Comment

Just rewatched Videodrome for probably the first time since the mid-90s...and it was quite meh. It's got some fun bits and awesome bits but it takes itself soooooo seriously when it's actually bloody stupid at points, the gun/hand thing really looks amusing as futch these days.

Still good but not as good as I remember.

Keep ticking off the horrors of my childhood, Evil Dead ftw so far, what shall I watch next?

Not strictly a horror but might have to rewatch Night Of The Comet if it's still on Netflix. Adored that back in the day. Cherry 2000 as well, is that on any streaming services at mo???

Comment

From Beyond stood up, as well. Even New York Ripper was better than when I saw it back in 1993. Still a pretty bad movie but a vivid, unboring cool one.

Mate just stuck us Bad Taste on a memory stick. Fun ahoy!!!!!

Comment

Watched Parasite earlier, the crappy old 1982 'horror' (???) once famous for being Demi Moore's pre-bigtime 'embarrassing' movie.

It's not quite as bad as I remember it. It's still awful but contains a few moments of fun that bob it gently towards an end that thankfully comes quite soon.

Not really recommending it, tbh, bad then, bad now. Sorta reminded me of Fallout New Vegas, it's sundrenched and postapocalyptic, some side mission you might find along the way.

Comment

The Danish Girl

Rather beautiful to look at, and quite emotional. It's scared my wife out of asking if I want to try stockings, etc, so that's good.

Comment

Hotel Transylvania 3
                  The missus enjoys these so was happy to finally get to see the latest entry, I was more wary as the trailers had an out of steam look to them. There's absolutely nothing new here but it was a surprisingly spritely little film and the setting change paid off, enjoyed it more than the second film.

True Lies
                  Oh man, I swear every time I watch this is rises in my esteem. There's literally not a minute in its 2hr 20m runtime where there isn't something to smile about. Endlessly quotable and just ruddy brilliant.

Comment

Raising Cain

Plays out like a Brian De Palma greatest hits collection, which is fine by me. Love the nods to Hitch and classic dreamy atmos. Some great memorable scenes too. Thoroughly enjoyed watching this again (went with the theatrical ver ... will try the director's cut next time).

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    Endlessly quotable and just ruddy brilliant.
                    They were all bad

Comment

True Lies
                      Oh man, I swear every time I watch this is rises in my esteem. There's literally not a minute in its 2hr 20m runtime where there isn't something to smile about. Endlessly quotable and just ruddy brilliant.
                      With Cameron busy still making the fourteen Avatar sequels and the kerfuffle with Eliza Dushku raising allegations that the stunt co-ordinator sexually assaulted her, it doesn't look like there's a decent version of this coming out any time soon.

How did you watch it, Supes?

I watched Elysium, which I've been meaning to watch for a while.
                      I liked District 9, but not everything about it. The ending was a little sad, tbh.
                      I really didn't like Chappie. The eponymous character wasn't that likeable (he's no Johnny 5) and the Die Antwoord actors played awful characters.
                      Elysium came between the two and is watchable, but not particularly gripping.

The class rift storyline was really crude and unsubtle. Genre films that have done it better were the likes of Soylent Green and even Land of the Dead. You seemed to either work in the factory making robots or being a criminal if you lived on Earth.

I will say, however, that the production design was amazing.
                      I'm tempted to get the "Elysium: The Art of the Film" book

I think the last film that impressed me with it's balance of futuristic but practical props was Oblivion.
                      This was full of props and attention to detail like a lozenge-shaped laptop with grime from use, a sweet GT-R with armour proofing, rifle scopes, bullet deflector or a Bugatti spaceship.

Designs are a combination of Aaron Beck at WETA and legendary futurist, Syd Mead.
                      There were scenes with the Elysium space station that reminded me of the ELO 'Out of the Blue' gatefold vinyl, although that was by Shusei Nagaoka.

Neill Blomkamp blew our minds with District 9, and now he's back with Elysium. We talked to concept artists and the movie's VFX producer to find out how they imagined a future space station, with the help of legendary designer Syd Mead. Here's our exclusive look inside the design of Neill Blomkamp's Elysium!

Comment

True Lies
                        I stuck this on recently, on account of the Arnold Thread on here, and the film just flew by. Its a lesson in movie pacing.

Comment

It's amazingly well handled, especially how it switches gears so effortlessly. A whopping 2hr 20m that goes by effortlessly, starting as a spy movie before completely regearing itself as a romcom and then regearing itself again as an action film without raising any flags with the viewer.

Comment

I saw True Lies at the cinema and they told us the wrong screen and we walked in as Arnie was getting questioned on truth serum and I thought his wife found out quite early on, but realised after a couple of minutes what was happening, so found out the right screen!

I had a couple of mates over for our alphabet series. We're only up to "D" and the consensus was "Don't Breathe" (Netflix).

"Rocky (Jane Levy), Alex and Money are three Detroit thieves who get their kicks by breaking into the houses of wealthy people. Money gets word about a blind veteran who won a major cash settlement following the death of his only child. Figuring he's an easy target, the trio invades the man's secluded home in an abandoned neighborhood. Finding themselves trapped inside, the young intruders must fight for their lives after making a shocking discovery about their supposedly helpless victim."

Yeah, we really enjoyed it. It's more of a thriller than horror, but despite the myriad of horror tropes and things that make you shout at the screen, it's a solid story with a few twists along the way.

Deffo worth a watch.

Comment

Don't Breathe was a good watch, well - maybe except for the gippy bit towards the end...

Comment

Any good suggestions for an "E" film?

Escape From New York
                                Ex-Machina
                                Equilibrium

Comment

Working...
                                X