Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon they looked just as dated at the time. The reason many of the sequel fights failed to impress me was because of how much CG there was. It's like animating a card trick - it's no longer special. However, my main two issues with the sequels aside from just being a bit sprawling and dull were:

1) Neither sequel recognised the hook of the first film - what if you could break the laws of reality because it's just a simulation? There was no hint of anyone existing in the simulation in the sequels except for someone on a bench, if I remember correctly. So it lost the context.

2) Neither sequel paid off the end of the first film. It ended with a setup and then abandoned it. It nerfed Neo ('upgrades' had my eyes rolling HARD), brought back Smith for no real reason and so it didn't go a step up. It did everything it could to just repeat cool parts of the first while seemingly forgetting what had set them up. No actual progression.

Flip side is we got a five hour long ramble from that Architect character and a particle effect face, so that's nice.

Comment

Just watched the Elijah Wood Maniac remake, it's like the original crossed with the feel of Drive and a first person viewpoint that channels Peep Show.

I liked it. It's very similar to the original but not a direct remake. It's very gory but quite nastily so don't expect guffaws here, it's realistically brutal. I think they did a decent job of updating it and it's quite an intense little flick with a superb synthwave backdrop.

Comment

Actually, there is a bit of funny gore involving a hatchet. I chuckled heartily when it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Flip side is we got a five hour long ramble from that Architect character and a particle effect face, so that's nice.
          I thought at the time it was a shame we weren't really shown that the Architect was superior to Neo (I don't mean an all-out martial arts fight but if he was the creator of The Matrix, couldn't he have altered Neo's abilities to his own whims anytime he wanted?)

It doesn't really matter now though. We at least got one great film (that'll be 20 years old next year), one alright film and a fairly forgettable one.

Comment

Mandy
            I'd heard you either love this or hate it, personally neither. Unless I'm missing something it's very style over substance and I found it slightly amusing how cheesy chunks of it are that are trying to appear disturbing. Best way I can sum up the plot is it's John Wick in a sloppier way with less efficient killing and more use of red, purple and green lens filters. As deep as a puddle and very slow to get to the point, it's exaggerated style and how much Cage is trying to commit to the role are the real draws but otherwise a forgettable distraction.

Comment

Been off work sick these past few days so got some films in.

The Blind Side

Based on the true story of Mike Oher. Sandra Bullock plays a rich mom who finds Mike walking in the rain and brings him home. She nurtures his American Football talent while he reminds her what family is all about. It’s not sanctimonious and her motives are called into question at times to provide some balance. Very dramatic and heart warming.

Prometheus

Not as bad as I was led to believe, but nothing particularly great about it. I don’t understand why Guy Pierce was playing an old man. I figured he’d have his aging reversed or something but nope, just a young guy in old guy prosthetics. Why?

Dallas Buyers Club

Great performances from McConnaughey and Leto. Cowboy contracts HIV from fooling around, is cast out by his red neck community and starts smuggling in unapproved drugs from around the world, fighting the FDA while he’s at it.

Silver Linings Playbook

Bradley Cooper - proving he’s not just that Hangover guy - plays Pat, a man with bipolar disorder who does a stint at a mental institution after catching his wife doing the history teacher. He’s out now, and working through his stuff. He meets Tiffany(Jennifer Lawrence) who helps him to embrace his quirks.

I might try How to Train your Dragon next.
              Last edited by randombs; 26-10-2018, 10:27.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                Prometheus

Not as bad as I was led to believe, but nothing particularly great about it. I don’t understand why Guy Pierce was playing an old man. I figured he’d have his aging reversed or something but nope, just a young guy in old guy prosthetics. Why?.
                Considering how amazing the film looks, this was one big visual black mark. There was some deleted dream sequence with him young but even that doesn't justify the approach here. It was a terrible choice.

Comment

Yeah, just a misguided attempt to have the same actor play young and old versions. Never works though, just recast, if a different actor had done it and then Guy appear in Covenant as a young version it wouldn't have flagged at all whereas Prometheus draws attention to it

Comment

Black Panther. Overrated.

Comment

Watching Doctor Strange again last night.

It's certainly darker than most other Marvel films.

Language and blood certainly over and above the other films.

Cumberbatchs' accent is awful. Especially when he shouts and starts to drift back to British accent.

Comment

Goodbye backdated pay increases and hello some ace films...

[IMG]IMAG1816 by Mega Drive, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

Amazing selection!

Comment

I watched Halloween III.
                            Got it for £1.99 off Prime.
                            Silly, jumpy, scary fun with a brilliant soundtrack.

Comment

Quality stuff there TA. Where did you get Project A from? My copy hasn't arrived yet and I ordered it ages ago.
                              You'll be impressed with how good City Hunter and Police Story look now.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                                Quality stuff there TA. Where did you get Project A from? My copy hasn't arrived yet and I ordered it ages ago.
                                You'll be impressed with how good City Hunter and Police Story look now.
                                I got all my stuff from Zavvi.com (well I find them good lol). I watched Police Story II last night and not only is the transfer totally top notch. I forgot just what a well-made film it was (good story and script for a HK action movie) but also how genuinely funny it was in places. The Park fight scene is also Jackie Chan and his stunt Team at their very best: the action and rhythm is just incredible

Can't wait to watch Candyman on Wednesday; A fab British horror that never gets the respect it deserves. Tony Todd was amazing in the film too

Comment

Working...
                                X