Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah New Nightmare was a big leap. It does get a little bit goofy towards the end, more like the older movies, but it was a great and unique concept in its day and the more real tone helped so much. I loved his look personally but mostly because it felt fresh and new by the time we got there.

Comment

Suspiria (2018). Went to see this last night with expectations well in check, and it was very good. A very different take on the original, with the bare bones of the story intact, but wrapped up in a wholly new package. While long in running time it never felt like it dragged (thanks to being split into 6 acts and an epilogue) but thinking back I think some of the goings on outside of the academy could have been cut. But taking nothing away, I really enjoyed it. Nice to see a remake that feels fresh. And can shock too.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        A New Nightmare
        Does your missus ever say "What load of bollocks are you watching now?!"?

Comment

I made my wife sit through the entire Friday the 13th series. It may surprise you to learn she didn't thank me for it.

Comment

If it weren't for the missus it's doubtful I'd be watching them She's the horror fan

Comment

First Man: Perfectly good film. My problem is that Neil Armstrong wasn't a very charismatic person and they have Ryan Gosling playing him, who isn't a very charismatic person. It leaves the film feeling a little cold and empty. It shows a human side to the moon landings, and how much of a challenge it was.

Comment

Dressed To Kill, an old thriller with Michael Caine and a mysterious, killer transsexual who looks a bit like Michael Caine (ahem, coughs).

Yeah, it was pretty rubbish, same director as Scarface, Brian DeParmesan, not as good, just a silly movie, this.

But nicely shot, some lovely 1980 New York streetscapes. Just not enough.

It was OK, just a bit wankly meh n ridiculous.

Comment

I watched a 2018 film called the The Appearance.

It's a medieval murder mystery with some spooky supernatural shenanigans. It only has a '4.7' rating on IMDB, but I gave it a chance. Luckily, it turned out to be good film. It's not fast-paced and full of action, so people wanting high budget Hollywood thrills might not enjoy it. But if you want good acting, a down to earth medieval vibe with a bit of spookiness, and quite an interesting story, you'll probably appreciate it. 4/5
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-12-2018, 08:50.

Comment

Took the tribe to see Into the Spiderverse and I think I enjoyed it more than the kids. It’s really quite funny and has stuff that the adults will only appreciate. Loads of little nods to the comics in there too. The art is really well done. It’s CGI but dressed up with a hint of cel shading. And there’s a kind of filter layer too helping it look like a living comic. Very impressive.

Comment

Some sack o' cack off THC called 'Wilderness', British maniac-on-the-loose movie set on an island that sorta channels a bit of Severance but without the levity (although this might predate it??) , Sean Pertwee and Adam Deacon can't save a movie that gets dull quick, best bit is the constant alsatian threat...which isn't necessarily a thing I WANTED in a movie, though it was probably the only effective thing here.

There are loads of movies like this on The Horror Channel. Loads.

Comment

A bit late to the party but I finally got around to seeing Split the other day, I thought it was ace, Macavoy was awesome. Loved the

Bruce Willis/David Dunn cameo at the end

. So I had to watch Unbreakable again, it was as good as I remember. Cannot wait to see Glass next.

Also saw 12 Strong, it was ok , nothing special. Hemsworth was fine.

Comment

Deep breath, six movies this weekend:

-Bumblebee
                          -Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
                          -Aquaman

I'll post my thoughts on these three in the relevant threads. Then there's:

Ghostbusters
                          The original, you could lick your fingertips after watching it - it's still that good.

Christopher Robbin

It's not a bad or poorly made film but the way it's filmed is overly drab and its story beats very slow and predictable.

Freddy vs Jason
                          Do you know what? I think for Freddy, New Nightmare is probably the peak. Because of the tone of the film Freddy is scaled back here to goofy and it works in context of the film but this dances around the two characters more than I remember and when they do show up it feels more like a F13 movie for much of it. The horror element is absent which isn't surprising given where both series were at by this point but the film still works well enough and it's a shame that Ash follow up never came to be as he would have fit this perfectly.

Comment

I watched The Shining and Arrival this weekend. Two very different films but both great. I haven't seen The Shining in decades and that film just doesn't get old. It's so good. It descends into a nightmare at a perfect pace. Arrival is interesting in just how small and contained it is and yet it never bores and leads to a beautiful ending. Two good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              I watched The Shining
                              I forgot to say I watched a documentary on The Shining last week called Room 237.

Mixed feeling on this to be honest because although I love a good subtext and Kubrick was a ridiculously meticulous director, I just struggle to get on board with most of the theories of what The Shining is really about. The people interviewed are absolutely convinced, though.

Here are some of the theories:

It's stuff like "It's about SEX!" because one character stands in front of an object and it kinda-sorta looks like he has a stiffy.

"It's about NATIVE AMERICAN GENOCIDE!" because there are some cans with a chief on them in the background.

"It's a nod to classic horror films!" because a chair disappears between shots.

"It's about how Kubrick filmed the fake Moon Landing!" because the key fob to Room 237 says "ROOM No" and Kubrick was clearly saying "MOON ROOM".

I liked that last one because it was so funny, but they had a point about the famous carpet looking like Launch Complex 39a:

It's currently streaming on Amazon Prime, but the whole thing is on Vimeo (with a weird lens flare in the middle to beat copyright or something).

Comment

I love The Shining and was hyped for Room 237 but thought it was utter hogwash.

Speaking of Thie Shining does anyone remember the incredible Channel 4 ad for the Kubrick season a few years back? Here it is ... and Jack's (well) hidden in it iirc.

Comment

Working...
                                X