This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nun
    On rewatch the unfolding of events holds up less to scrutiny. It's still decent enough but firmly ranked 4th of the 5 movies so far

Teen Titans Go to the Movies
    Finally got to see this, it just about stretches enough for the duration of the run time and there's plenty to like. I remember it being benchmarked against Lego Batman Movie, the Lego entry I thought was much better but this was better than it probably should have been. Interesting how DC can get the animated stuff right. Plus, I now want to see a Robin movie

Comment

The toilet bit had me crying with laughter.

Comment

The question is, did you genuinely find it funny or were you simply a victim of...

Comment

Last night watched one off The Horror Channel I've had sitting on the Sky box since last Nov, "The Dead", a Brit-made zombie movie set in Africa with an American lead. It was actually a decent little zombie movie, if you enter expecting nil. It's got this effective, eerie sense of zombies kinda being everywhere, insidiously, as a low budget piece it's effective, I kinda nicely liked it (if not loved it).

Then, Rogue One tonight. Purely because it was on Netflix and I wanted to see the Tarkin fx a second time on the small screen. And I wanted a second opinion after my sesh with it at the cinema early last year (I found it very beige).

Second time around reveals it to be the dullest, murkiest, most tedious Star Wars movie ever made, with virtually no likeable and/or interesting characters and many dull, annoying ones. And Forest Whitaker playing a homeless, schizophrenic Vietnam vet in a very unappealing WTF??!! kinda way. And a plot as dull as dust. And it's soooooooo looooong. So dull.

It's a bloody horrible movie. I am never gonna watch that crap again. Best bit is badass Vader in the very last section.

As for the Tarkin fx? They look ****in APPALLING on the small screen, like Mass Effect 2 or summat.

(why didn't they just use the guy's actual face, ffs??!)

Comment

A little bored on the Night Shift I watched Neon Manics rip. One of those 80's Horror movies that are so bad it's almost good. Its a shame as the film had little promise and I loved how it had such a range of individual monsters with their unique own ability (I still think the Samurai guy is so cool) and so much more could have been done with the concept.

Still worth a watch, I may watch the Video Dead next week on the Night Shift lol, another classic that's so crap, one can't help but watch it

Comment

The David Brent film.

What a train wreck of a character he is. I’ve read a load of reviews and they’re hyper-critical of this film, but I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                The David Brent film.

What a train wreck of a character he is. I’ve read a load of reviews and they’re hyper-critical of this film, but I really enjoyed it.
                I'm mates with the band in that. Honest!

It's really weird watching it because they play themselves, but they're absolute arseholes in this, but in real life they're lovely.
                If they had an accent or a costume, it'd be easier to disconnect, but it's like they're playing evil versions of themselves!

Comment

Kiss of the Dragon (Jet Li). Total nonsense but easy to watch

Comment

Quarkley Champ: friend of the stars.

They’re not bad in this tbh. Their contempt of Brent is quite understandable. He always came across as a complete git misjudging what it takes to be popular. The viewer sees the more pathetic, vulnerable side, but his peers struggle, because he rarely lets his guard down. He’s a lonely and insecure man who projects this brash idiocy.

Comment

It's an incredibly complex character and Gervais is quite clever in that he never completely relents and gives Brent a break.

My friends said he's a really nice guy and a pleasure to work with but they struggled being horrible to him

Comment

He gets a massive amount of hate. His public persona can, like Brent, be awful. It’s hard to know where Brent ends and he begins. The XFM shows and podcasts/animation shows are some of the most entertaining radio I’ve listened to, though. When paired with Merchant and Pilkington, he’s very funny in a situation that obviously isn’t scripted.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          Kiss of the Dragon (Jet Li). Total nonsense but easy to watch
                          Damn you. Nonsense, indeed.

Comment

I love KotD!

Comment

The Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
                              The viewer has to fill in quite a few blanks for this one to make much sense. First you have Freddy seemingly tied to Nancy's house, presumably because he re-died there in the first movie, and then you have characters who aren't asleep seeing Freddy related things, again presumably because of the main character acting as a conduit. I've got to say first, man, the main guy... cuts through the tension whenever she screams. He sounds like a 12 year old girl screaming, fair props for going all out I guess.

Stuff like the school bus opening I remember from being a kid but its the usual OTT style of the franchise too meaning there's no tension. What I did like about the film though is that beyond that opening the imagery for Freddy is much more toned down compared to the first film. Not much happens for long stretches but the tone of the film is more consistent than the first outing. Laugh is Freddy is so blatant in his killing sprees that for the upcoming films the local police dept should be on constant monitoring standby.

Comment

Freddy's Revenge is a weird film. I hated it back when I was a teenager. It felt like the Freddy film that just didn't fit. The possession thing was weird and not like the first film at all. But revisiting it as an adult, it shot up in my estimation. It is strange and slightly twisted and takes more risks than almost any other Nightmare film and some of the sequences are pretty effective even when they shouldn't remotely work (the bird bit, for example). It's got this whole homosexual subtexts running through it too, which I just didn't see when I was younger and that makes it pretty unique, especially with Jesse in what is usually a role reserved for women. It's actually one of my favourite Nightmare films now. But it's still a weird one.

Comment

Working...
                                X