User Tag List

Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 603
  1. #131
    Agreed.

    I mentioned before that the comic's catalyst for the Civil War is a team of Z-list superheroes are using their powers to make a reality TV show and in tracking down an enemy that's more powerful than they realise, he destroys a whole town, kids and everything.



    That's a lot more powerful than the film, where The Avengers are trying to stop a team of terrorists stealing a biological weapon.
    These terrorists are firing guns in the middle of the street and ultimately detonate a massive bomb, but Scarlet Witch flings the bomb in the air. The explosion damages a building and kills some Wakandan humanitarian workers.

    The Avengers get hauled over the coals for this, but what if they hadn't got involved? Terrorists would have a biological weapon, a bomb would have detonated in a busy market place (who builds a biolab in a busy city?!) and the deaths would have been higher.

    It doesn't work as a jump-off point to think The Avengers and all heroes should be registered.
    The comics worked well, because you really could see both sides of the argument.

    It's also frustrating because there are some really nice shots in the movie, like the airport battle and the Dam fight, but some outrageous shaky cam shots.
    I liked these shots:



    Nice think piece here:
    https://midwestcoastal.wordpress.com...ght-arguments/
    Last edited by QualityChimp; 08-03-2018 at 09:05 AM.

  2. #132
    Yup, it's odd that some fights are framed worse than Winter Soldier when it's the same directors. Really, the film feels more like an audition tape for the Avengers job they're finishing up on now.

  3. #133
    Couple of Oscar luvvies and a bit of comic book action ...

    The Shape Of Water. Beautiful film. Deserving of its wins at the Academy Awards. Can't wait to watch it again.

    Three Billboards ... Very good, though not quite up to all of the hype it's been getting. Performances were brilliant but

    some of the events in the film are slightly too coincidental to be believable

    .

    Thor Ragnarok. I'm not normally a fan of 'off-Earth' comic book stuffs but this was great fun in a similar way Guardians was. Soundtrack was top notch ... Led Zep and 80s electro ... lovely.

  4. #134
    More Billy Wilder (after watching The Apartment a few weeks back) ...

    Double Indemnity - classic film noir set up of a (fairly) good guy getting drawn into something bad. Top notch stuff.

  5. #135
    I watched Iron Man 3 again yesterday. It really is a top tier Marvel movie for me in almost every way. It’s one of the few where the main character has some real development (which was sadly forgotten right after), it is suprising and funny, doesn’t rely on its superhero gimmicks throughout and yet adds a few excellent gimmicks to the Iron Man idea in how it treats the suits. And Kingsley is amazing in it. I really enjoyed it.

  6. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    More Billy Wilder (after watching The Apartment a few weeks back) ...

    Double Indemnity - classic film noir set up of a (fairly) good guy getting drawn into something bad. Top notch stuff.
    Billy Wilder is wonderful. Have you seen Ace in the Hole?

  7. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by wakka View Post
    Billy Wilder is wonderful. Have you seen Ace in the Hole?
    I haven't but I'll be sure to check it out. Cheers

  8. #138
    Predator
    Still some choice moments and well done, weirdly the Predator itself was the least interesting part this time out. I had much more fun simply following Arnie and his crew trying to out butch each other.

    Monster Family
    Absolutely awful. Awful voicing with a minimal effort story of a family cursed to turn into monsters simply so Dracula can get it on with the Mum. For some bizarre reason it's set in New York yet every single person specs in a clear and irritating British accent too, just outright poor as a film.

    Falling Down
    The 90's Michael Douglas movie about a stressed guy who finally snaps. It's quite amusing at first, watching him rock scissor paper himself up in weaponry throughout his day but it becomes fairly stupid around 2/3's of the way in and loses you because of it.

    The Shape of Water
    A film that's more than the sum of it's parts. It's probably best watching this whilst putting it's Oscars performance out of mind, it's a level of success that brings scrutiny with it. The film touches on a racism, homophobia, domestic abuse, disability and gender discrimination and that for me was a niggle I had with it as 'touches on' is too accurate a description, it's like a series of check boxes being ticked as it helps paint a reflection of the era but nothing gets looked into too deeply. I felt the same about the central love story, it hits the beats but never engages. The overall arc is very simplistic and unoriginal, but more importantly it never sold itself to me. A lot has gone on the imagery, again nice if taken from a ton of other sources. It makes you wish for that Bioshock adaptation though. The key weak point, a brief and nails and a chalkboard musical moment. It was an enjoyable watch, I wouldn't push anyone against watching it, but I don't feel it's a particularly memorable one.

  9. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post

    The Shape of Water
    A film that's more than the sum of it's parts. It's probably best watching this whilst putting it's Oscars performance out of mind, it's a level of success that brings scrutiny with it. The film touches on a racism, homophobia, domestic abuse, disability and gender discrimination and that for me was a niggle I had with it as 'touches on' is too accurate a description, it's like a series of check boxes being ticked as it helps paint a reflection of the era but nothing gets looked into too deeply. I felt the same about the central love story, it hits the beats but never engages. The overall arc is very simplistic and unoriginal, but more importantly it never sold itself to me. A lot has gone on the imagery, again nice if taken from a ton of other sources. It makes you wish for that Bioshock adaptation though. The key weak point, a brief and nails and a chalkboard musical moment. It was an enjoyable watch, I wouldn't push anyone against watching it, but I don't feel it's a particularly memorable one.
    It's no Pan's Labyrinth, eh? I think Three Billboards was robbed of an Oscar.

  10. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki Matar View Post
    I think Three Billboards was robbed of an Oscar.
    It's an opinion I've heard more than once, but I think in years to come The Shape of Water will be remembered long after Three Billboards has been forgotten about.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •