No announcement yet.

MCD2: Movie Chart Discussion - A Civil Outcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. It’s all a bit strange. Avatar is ok, but the numbers are absurd. It seemed to totally pass me by at the time.

Comment

$1.2 billion.

BOOM. Headshot.

Poor old Billy Maher will be crying into his self wank sock.

Comment

I've still not seen the last hour or so of Avatar.

Got bored...

Comment

£1.2 billion!

That's almost as much as [MENTION=1218]Zaki[/MENTION] has spent on arcade cabs!

Comment

That’s just an incredible achievement. It’s hammered the domestic record and utterly annihilated the foreign gross.

If you said you were planning a 22 film sequence and that the final film would smash the box office, advisors would say you are a mentalist. They’d say it was unviable. That the 21 preceding films would utterly isolate audiences because very few can be bothered with the investment leading up to that kind of finale. That each new film would shed audiences, because it’s too complex or convoluted. That each new layer would reduce popularity, just like with most tv series (bar GoT). There’s too many plot strands and characters. That there’s got to be some duds to thin the crowd.

Yet the opposite had happened. The build up has been subtle, mostly presented within the confines of stand alone stories. The infinity stones have been a thread throughout, but the films work individually. You need little prior knowledge to understand. That accessibility is a master-stoke. It’s enabled the MCU to keep enough interest for the stalwarts with each entry, and subtly build up to the finale, but also make it accessible to casual audiences. It’s a remarkable achievement, whether you’re a fan or not. Like GoT, the QUALITY of the series has been the audience hook - be it casual viewer or hardcore fan.
            Last edited by prinnysquad; 28-04-2019, 18:43.

Comment

Absolutely Prinny, I'm by most standards a casual as I'm not into regular superhero comics bar a few TPB classics, but I've seen most of the movies and liked them all. That they have achieved what they have over this number of movies is astounding.

I wonder however if it has led to an increase in comic buying at all?

Comment

There's little point doing the stats for other films this week as Endgame took 90% of the box office.

Of note, if Endgame does enough business to match the domestic and international post-release earnings of Infinity War it will mean the film will safely become the second highest grossing film of all time above Titanic

Unless we see a sign otherwise then Avatar should still be out of reach as Endgame will be immensely front loaded and will never receive the length of run that Cameron enjoyed.

Comment

48 hours later and Avengers: Endgame is up to $1.34bn

-It is now the fifth highest grossing MCU movie of all time having passed Captain Marvel, Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3.
                  -It is just $4m away from passing Black Panther and by the end of today should be level pegging with Avengers: Age of Ultron
                  -It's current total is enough to enter the film into the top 10 highest grossing films of all time, by the end of the week it should be easily into the top 5

Comment

Another 48hrs later and...

Avengers: Endgame has broken through the $1bn milestone in international earnings. It's global haul now stands at $1.481bn meaning the film has passed Age of Ultron and is a mere $37m from passing the original Avengers film making it the second highest grossing MCU movie. Its current earnings have been enough to see it rise two places in the overall global rankings as well, it's now the eighth highest earning movie ever and going past Avengers will also see it pass Fast and Furious 7. At current pace, come Tuesdays full week update the film should be alongside Infinity War and Force Awakens

Comment

Apparently, Endgame is now 2nd on the all-time list, after a week and a half.

$600 million to catch Avatar doesn’t seem as unthinkable as I first thought.

Still haven’t seen it Ffs. And that damned thread is, what, 11 pages? Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s all just placeholder posts to wind me up.

Comment

Yep, and the crazy thing is that that figure still doesn't fully cover Sunday takings. The UK will also give a slight bump for being a Bank Holiday tomorrow. If Endgame suffered a 60% drop in takings next week it would still take the film up to around $2.6bn and a hairs width from the top spot... could be that defeating Avatar is actually in the bag and the question becomes whether it's the first $3bn. Arguably it's already beaten Avatar given the 40+ weeks Avatar took to reach that figure.

Comment

Avengers: Endgame is currently sitting on a global total of $2.193bn worldwide with two days takings yet to go until it has a full fortnight on its dance card. It is now the highest grossing MCU movie ever made and the second highest grossing film ever. It has 'just' $595m left to go in order to surpass Avatar's decade long record.

Again, there's little reason going into other films performance because almost everything died at the box office including all new releases. The only film with any real movement was The Curse of La Llorona which rolled out to some new markets and as such rose to $104m worldwide.

The coming weekend offers Avengers a third unchallenged pass at the box office.

Comment

Avengers: Endgame enters its third weekend on $2.303bn, $485m below defeating Avatar to become the highest grossing film of all time. That means it earning a little over half what it made last week.

Comment

Detective Pikachu opened to $170m to become the most successful opening for a game based movie. The tally sets the film up for a solid run though its high budget may minimise the extent of its success.

Avengers: Endgame meanwhile proved itself to be incredibly front loaded and dropped off in business hard in its third week. None the less the film is up to a global haul of $2.485bn which keeps it on track to challenge Avatar's dominance but begins to put that fabled $3bn marker in question. A further 60% drop off would see the film nudge past $2.6bn late this week holding narrowly below Avatar.

This week will see John Wick aim to headshot Thanos

Comment

Thanks, Supes.
                                It's fascinating to see Endgame's performance.

I loved this tweet from James Cameron:

I'm tempted to see Endgame again, but with Pikachu, Wick and Godzilla coming out, I may end up waiting until the home release.

Comment

Working...
                                X