No announcement yet.

MCD2: Movie Chart Discussion - I Ain't Afraid Of No Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. I can see both Black Widow and Wonder Woman vanishing from the schedules and, as you say, lots of closures. If this digs in for the long haul, and I think it probably will, I do wonder if they'll just sit on their movies indefinitely or if they'll release a few digitally in the meantime. The smaller movies could go that route. I can't ever see them throwing away box office movie by just chucking Black Widow up on Disney+.

Comment

Closures will mean long term impact too, less screens will likely mean even less room for those smaller films so that tentpole domination will presumably hit home even faster than it already was. It really is at the point though were stuff that isn't likely to fare well like New Mutants should be eyeing up digital releases as this will crush any last chance they were already on.

Comment

There is no formal update this week by the looks, given the scale of closures so digging out results compared to last week:

Onward was only able to increase takings by a mere $2m helping to make clear the decision to launch the digital release

The Invisible Man rose by $1m

The other releases from last week haven't really moved at all. Further updates may come in delayed but likely we're already seeing how an industry has ground to a complete halt.

Comment

This looks likely to be the last little update for now and even then doesn't include any figures. The biggest or newest films such as Onward, The Invisible Man and Bloodshot seem to be making just enough from fringe countries that are still open to creep up around $1m per week in takings but we seem to have reached the point where the global cinema industry has completely ceased to operate. With each of those films seeing a VOD release roll out within the last week it looks set that those small takings will now come to end snuffing out the last embers of the industry and silencing the last projector.

Comment

As part of its annual film revenue tournaments, Deadline has published a list of last year’s biggest bombs in terms of losses for the studio. Leading the list is Simon Kinberg’s “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” which cost 20th Century Studios and Disney a loss of approximately $133 million – no surprise with the film drawing the […]

The five biggest box office failures of 2019 have now been confirmed:

01 - X Men: Dark Phoenix
            02 - Terminator: Dark Fate
            03 - Cats
            04 - Gemini Man
            05 - Missing Link

Comment

Meanwhile, in three weeks Trolls World Tour has made more on VOD than the original did in its five-month cinema run. https://www.wsj.com/articles/trolls-...66202?mod=e2tw

Comment

I'd be curious as to how other recent VOD releases have done. Onward seemed to launch with a thud

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  I'd be curious as to how other recent VOD releases have done. Onward seemed to launch with a thud
                  Yeah, I have a suspicion that it's one of those things where a single hit does not reflect the reality of the situation.

Comment

And now, as a result of Universal revelling in the success and saying they’ll go VOD in future, AMC has said they won’t show their films any more. Seems very petty and also assumes AMC still exist when this is over. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...d-tour-1292327

Comment

Yep, definitely a move intended just to throw some PR dirt in Universal's eyes as there's no way AMC will skip running Fast and Furious, Jurassic World etc.

Comment

Yesterday was a turbulent time in the exhibition sector. Universal Pictures announced that “Trolls World Tour” had been such a success on premium VOD that its profit had outpaced in three weeks what the first film did at the box-office over five months – at least domestically. As a result, NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell said […]

Universal have responded to AMC banning their films from cinemas saying they find it disappointing that they have had the blow back and they still support cinema

The ‘theatrical war’ has opened up on a second front in the wake of the rather overdramatic exchanges between AMC, the National Association of Theater Owners (the ‘other’ NATO), and Universal Pictures over the past day or so. Now, Regal Entertainment owner Cineworld Group, the second largest cinema business in the world (controlling 9,518 screens […]

A few hours later though Regal, owners of Cineworld, announced that they too will be banning all Universal pictures from all of their cinemas globally.

Comment

I won’t pretend to understand what all this is about.

Surely, though, no studio is dumb enough not to realise that the number of downloads this film has enjoyed is due to people being locked-down? It won’t even be close in future.

Comment

Many in the industry are adamant that Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet” will be released on time on July 17th and are moving mountains to get it there. Will it be enough though? Deadline reports that while Warner Bros. Pictures hasn’t yet decided what to do with the release date but one figure is said to be […]

The Forever Purge has been indefinitely delayed making Tenet the next cinema release scheduled. There's still a push for it to open on time but apparently the film needs 80% of the words cinemas to be open to do so. If it gets delayed then it's expected that nearly all releases following it leading up to Christmas will also delay into 2021.

I'm not sure if it's true but I'd read that they needed Tenet to hit $1bn. Personally, I'm incredibly doubtful it would have done that pre-lockdown so if true they're stupid if they don't delay this very far into the future.

Comment

Wise! Wise fwom the gwave!

Steven Spielberg’s “Jurassic Park” beat out Steven Spielberg’s “Jaws” at the U.S. box-office over the Father’s Day weekend. Both films scored re-releases in the few open cinemas and drive-thrus in the country with ‘Jurassic’ clocking up $517,600 at 230 theater locations, while “Jaws” pulled in $516,300 from 187 locations. They weren’t the only Spielberg films […]

Thanks to the US opening as many doors as it can the box office finally nudged ever so slightly forward this week as cinemas reopened and used classic movies to try and tempt theatre goers back into the big screen.

As a result:

Jurassic Park
                              Earned a grand total of $517,000 to be the biggest earning movie of the week. Amazingly that tiny sum meant that the film became the No.1 movie at the box office for its fourth time.

Jaws
                              The second place movie was another Spielberg flick earning $516,300

The Invisible Man
                              Is enjoying a very long run at the box office, earning $201,000 this week

Trolls: World Tour
                              Adding to its digital tally with $160,000 added this week

The Hunt
                              The trashed movie is still on screens with $136,000 this week

Back to the Future
                              Yes, sixth place went to BTTF because not enough people have the good sense to choose this opportunity over The Hunt. The film took $131,000 this week

Followed
                              On just 42 theatres, the film made seventh place with $127,231

E.T: The Extra Terrestrial

$126,100 took E.T home to the big screen

Jumanji: The Next Level
                              $117,900 got the third Jumanji to ninth

The Goonies
                              $110,850 worth of tickets sold saw socially distanced bums on seats witness this classic one more time in tenth.

Yes, the US top 10 currently contains Jurassic Park, ET, Back to the Future, Jaws and The Goonies - got to be the best it's looked in forever in terms of line up.

Comment

The US Top 10 this week:

01 - Ghostbusters
                                02 - Jumanji: The Next Level
                                03 - Relic
                                04 - Jurassic Park
                                05 - Jaws
                                06 - Deadpool
                                07 - Jungle Book
                                08 - Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
                                09 - The Hunt
                                10 - My Spy