No announcement yet.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Each of the regions are kind of like dungeons anyway.

Also, just burn through your weapons as fast as you can. There's ALWAYS something more amazing around each corner. Don't hoard anything.

Comment

So i'm no 30 hours deep into this and i'm loving every min of it. Its been ages since a single player has grabbed me so thoroughly but i'm absolutely addicted.

Main stuff ive been doing,

Explore the map and light every tower to get the whole map up, check.
      Try to find most the temples for hearts and stamina, ongoing (theres a lot).
      Master sword, check.
      Plenty of inventory space expansions with korok seeds, check.
      Climbers set, check.
      1 divine beast done and all the stories done up to entering the others, check.
      All sheika slate tools upgraded, check.

Right onto photography.

Comment

I neglected this game for the longest time thinking I must dislike it. Getting lost in a great Zelda dungeon is probably my fave thing in gaming, but the world bits in-between always felt like a bit of a faff to me. So a game that was all about the world bit in-between sounded like a game that had none of the juicy dungeony goodness and was all about the faff. Delighted to have been found wrong about this. I've never played an open world game before where the act of getting about the world is so pleasurable and - well - 'gamey'. There's always some reward or pay-off - large or small - for veering off the narrative path. Such a wonderful place to explore. I do miss the proper Zelda dungeons and the beasts don't quite cut it for me, either thematically/aesthetically or mechanically (I've done three, the elephant one was best so far), but the bite size shrines are pretty great. The voice acting is decent apart from Zelda herself, who sounds like a particularly whiny and entitled Mary Poppins. Really bad. Might switch her to Japanese. I'm finishing off the wintry zone and I'm feeling it has got a bit overlong now, however, so much so that I'm riding around ordinary combat encounters when I can as I've nothing to gain in terms of loot/weapon drops. But I'm excited for the next bit and hope it builds to a good finale. When BotW 2 comes out I'd like to see a slightly more compact adventure with the return of proper, monumental dungeons. In the meantime, I'd take a remake/remix of all their best dungeon hits. Call it 'Zelda: Dungeons' and offer them as numbered levels without any traversal in between. Maybe a proper DIY dungeon element too. Lush.

Comment

Got the digital version and expansion half price yesterday so will be back on this again in 2021.

Comment

I'm peering up at Divine Beast #4, planning my assault. Shrines and world-building remain intriguing (I love Gerudo Town and I want to live there in drag forever with all the strong-thighed, big-nosed women) but I'm quite bored by the knockabout combat now and the side quests are doing my head in.

Most are pointless: Can I have 1 flint please? Here, have 1 flint. Mission complete. Here, have 30 rupees as a reward. Thanks, maybe I'll buy two arrows with that.

Others are annoying: Can I have 15 wood bundles of wood, please? Thanks...now can I have 30 bundles? Thanks...now can I have 50?

Environmental side quests, where you have to find something based on a clue, are rather more enjoyable.

The whole narrative is quite drab so far, in my view. It's a pity Nintendo can't raise their storytelling and side quests to match the outstanding quality of their world-building and the pleasure of exploring and interacting with it.
            Last edited by Golgo; 24-12-2020, 00:17.

Comment

Finished this today, clocking in around 120 hours with all photos found and most shrines (about 110) and a fraction of those Korok things (maybe 200).

Looking back over the map

with the Divine Beasts bested and shining their lasers from the four corners of the land

was awesome, and really felt like I'd journeyed a long way with Link over genuinely distinctive terrain. I can't think of another open world game that has managed to make exploration such an enjoyable core element. So it's kind of funny that the moment-to-moment gameplay experience was not always that thrilling for me. Yet the breadcrumb trail of shrines/micro-dungeons and the promise of a new view or sunset was enough to keep me moving on, and pulled me in lots of different directions unrelated to the campaign. I enjoyed the shrines although the lack of proper dungeons was disappointing (rattling around inside the hollow beasts doesn't count - they wouldn't make the cut in the dungeon roster of any other Zelda game). Combat was not that great but then it never is in a Zelda (save for the motion control awesomeness of Skyward Sword!), and after a bit of experimentation with bombs and chuchu traps of various types I found myself just slashing with enemies toe-to-toe until the weapon got damaged and I threw it in their face and cycled to whatever was next in the inventory. That is until I got rich and just bought all the bomb arrows in the land.

But despite the negatives, including the many truly thoughtless sub-quests, I loved the game. The countless big and little secrets you can find - or not - nestled away in the terrain are wonderful, and there are lots of real surprises like the

giant mazes, the dark forest, the three dragons, etc.

, which you are free to take or leave. That's pretty brave game design. Heck, perhaps the most enjoyable gameplay challenge is so off the beaten track that it's almost like the designers were daring the player not to find it:

Eventide Island

. Anyway, no other open world game has engaged so much as to find me content to just hang around and wait for it to stop raining before journeying on through the landscape, so it must be pretty special.

Not sure where they take it form here. Personally I'd like a slightly more compact adventure, but given the effort to make this incredible open world template I can't see Nintendo dialing back on it.

Comment

Anybody on here replaying this or considering doing so in the run-up to Tears of the Kingdom?

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                Really ought to make a start on the DLC.

My Wii U has literally been gathering dust.

I posted that comment two years ago. I have not touched my WiiU since.

That said, I may need to seeing as the WiiU (and 3DS) eShop is closing end of March.

Comment

I still play BOTW on my Wii U. Every few months I sit down with my son and play a few hours. We try to explore a bit, do a shrine or two or a tower.

Once every year or so, we try a guardian.

Comment

I still need to play the DLC.

Comment

Out of nowhere Jr1 mentioned being interested in playing this but I've figured it's best to hold off given Tears is inbound. I'm not entirely sure it would be his thing anyway but Nintendo has been so insanely reserved on showing anything of real detail on Tears that not knowing the extent to which the overworld has been redesigned has meant it seems the better option to see how the new game turns out rather than risk the incredibly high risk of having zero time for Tears through burnout as BOTW was incredibly repetitive to begin with. Really hoping this very long development cycle has meant Tears has ended up really pushing beyond that very samey looking initial reveal years back. It'd be weird if it was notably different.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        Really hoping this very long development cycle has meant Tears has ended up really pushing beyond that very samey looking initial reveal years back. It'd be weird if it was notably different.
                        So...do you want TOTK to be the same as BOTW or not??

I could well be wrong, but I feel like it's pretty clear that TOTK is going to take place in the BOTW universe with some extras (ie. In-the-sky sections a la Skyward Sword). I say that as somebody who wanted the next major 3D Zelda to take a refined approach to BOTW's mechanics and put them into a new storyline.

I agree with you about BOTW being massively repetitive, but the massive commercial success of it means that Aonuma-san and his team are almost obliged to make TOTK effectively be "All the DLC we wanted to put in BOTW but couldn't".

Comment

I missed the 'n't off was

I want Tears to be a big step beyond BOTW. The only way I could square Zelda's direction from BOTW moving forward was if it was progressively going to expand the scale of world building, exploration etc in a way that marries some of the appeal of Skyrim to Zelda. Majora was a great showcase of reusing assets to build a unique follow up on the same system. BOTW's map though is not a place I particularly want to spend more time on and marrying it with elements of Skyward Sword is also a hell of a pick. But, it's been nearly six years since BOTW so hopefully it means that a focus has gone into BOTW's gaping weak points.

Comment

Majora was a great showcase of reusing assets to build a unique follow up on the same system.

Correct. This makes it a far superior game to OoT in my eyes.

BOTW's map though is not a place I particularly want to spend more time on and marrying it with elements of Skyward Sword is also a hell of a pick.

The BOTW map would definitely have to be more substantial this time around in terms of more to do than just traversing/combating repetitive elements/fighting the same monsters ad infinitum.

BOTW took a lot of its mechanics from Skyward Sword in the first place so it's not actually that wild a stretch to marry the two for TOTK. Whether it's done in a coherent and refined way or not is something we shall find out this coming summer.
                            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 29-12-2022, 12:46.

Comment

Me and the boy have been playing through this a lot, trying to get it done in time for the new one.

We've only done Vah Ruta but that feels like weeks ago now. Since then we've been collecting armour sets and upgrading them for the set bonuses. In the evenings I'll sweep up shrines and farm rupees via. hunting mainly, so the more grindy aspects of the game really while he's in bed. Towers, memories, and major upgrades are reserved for when we play together.

This is his first proper video game. Imagine that. Even I'm constantly blown away by the environments and their complexity/scale. I spent a good few minutes climbing up one of those windmills last night just for the view at the top.
                              Last edited by dataDave; 30-12-2022, 17:31.

Comment

I donated my switch during lockdown, after a few beers last night I ordered myself a new oled one and a fresh copy of BOTW.
                                Glad to say I don’t regret the purchase and intend to rinse it until Tears comes out.

Comment

Working...
                                X