No announcement yet.

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so out of the loop with this series. I remember playing Insect Armageddon, and I think I bought 4? There's a 4.1 now, right, and even a 5? Now this?! Oh the shame.

Comment

OK, [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION], quick catch-up!

The most recent release is EDF5, which came out in Dec 2018.
      Iron Rain is due out in 2019.

Basically, EDF 2017 (EDF3 in Japan) was on 360 and made by the usual developers Sandlot. BC on One.
      EDF:IA was a US-made spin-off on all formats. BC on One.
      EDF 2025 (EDF4 in Japan) was Sandlot, all formats and finally co-op online. BC on One.
      EDF 4.1 was the remastered version for PS4 and PC. The Western release dropped the year suffix and started copying the numbering system of the Japanese releases.
      EDF5 came out in Dec 2017 in Japan and a year later in the West.
      EDF: Iron Rain is developed by YUKE'S and is a more serious take on the series. Due out April in Japan and some time later in 2019 in the West.

Earth Defense force 2017 (2006/7)
      aka EDF3 in Japan (Chikyū Bōeigun 3 (地球防衛軍3)
      Xbox 360 and later Vita (2012/13)
      Developer: Sandlot
      Publisher: D3 Publisher

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (2011)
      (アース ディフェンス フォース インセクト アーマゲドン Āsu Difensu Fōsu Insekuto Āmagedon)
      PS3, Xbox 360, PC
      Developer: Vicious Cycle Software

Earth Defense Force 2025 (2013/14)

known in Japan as Chikyū Bōeigun 4 (地球防衛軍4, lit. "Earth Defense Forces 4")
      Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows
      Publisher: D3 Publisher, NA: Marvelous USA (PS4)

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair (2016)

Known in Japan as (地球防衛軍4.1 THE SHADOW OF NEW DESPAIRザシャッドーオブニューディスペア Chikyū Bōeigun 4.1 Za Shaddō obu Nyū Disupea)
      PlayStation 4, Windows
      Publisher: D3 Publisher, NA: Marvelous USA (PS4)

Earth Defense Force 5 (2017/18)
      known in Japan as Chikyū Bōeigun 5 (地球防衛軍5, lit. "Earth Defense Forces 5")
      PlayStation 4

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain (2019)
      PlayStation 4
      Developer: YUKE'S
      Publisher: D3 PUBLISHER

Comment

I liked the one where you shoot the big spiders with a rocket launcher.

(Love you! I've finished 2, 3, and IA, and have 4 sat on a shelf, but I see now it's probably better to go for 5 or wait for Iron Rain)

Comment

EDF4 aka EDF2025 is the one I've sunk hundreds of hours into on 360.

I have 4.1 on PS4, but played it on a mate's PS4 before I had my own, but can't face pumping the same amount of time into (practically) the same game.

I've held off on 5 because I'm deep into RDR2 and Prinny is going to leave us high and dry now he has nappies to change or summat.
          I'll probably get Iron Rain, but I agree with the potential Insect Armageddon vibes and each time I look into it, it just seems to be adverts for all the add-ons, which worries me.

I'll keep the thread updated!

Comment

Third trailer. I like the look of the Wing Diver plasma sword!

Comment

New gameplay footage!

Comment

In other news, it looks like it's got a worldwide release date of the 11th April!

Ultimate Edition - £73.99

When pre-ordering the game, you will receive the following items.

1. Weapon: GK-Predator
                2. Creation Parts: Pale Wing
                3. Creation Parts: One Man Army
                4. Creation Parts: T-Shirt [EDF:IR]
                5. Add In-Game Currency

The 'Ultimate Edition' is a bundle set which includes the full game, all the post launch Addons, and purchaser exclusive items.

The 'Ultimate Edition' includes the following contents.
                ・Full Game
                ・8 exclusive items only for 'Ultimate Edition' purchasers
                - Creation parts: Infantryman
                - Add in-game currency 'Type73000'
                - Creation parts: OneChanbara
                - Creation parts: BulletGirls
                - Creation parts: Dream C Club
                - Creation parts: SG/ZH
                - Creation parts: HappyManager
                - Creation parts: NatuiroHighSchool
                ・19 special weapons, vehicles, items, and costumes for creation.
                ・Additional Missions
                - The season pass of the additional mission pack. New enemies and weapons are planned to be included. Mission pack will be launched after the release of the game (a certain period of time after release of the game).

Standard £49.99
                When pre-ordering the game, you will receive the following items.

1. Weapon: GK-Predator
                2. Creation Parts: Pale Wing
                3. Creation Parts: One Man Army
                4. Creation Parts: T-Shirt [EARTH DEFENSE FORCE: IRON RAIN]
                5. Add In-Game Currency

Year 2040. An action TPS where you will become one of the EDF soldiers and fight against the invaders from outer space which ruined the world.

●50+ Missions in Five Difficulties
                The furious battle against the invader Aggressors is full of chaos. Includes 50+ severe missions, where you must fight against gigantic enemy creatures and huge invader weapons in 5 different difficulties.

●4 Mobile Soldiers and Weapons
                You will become the legendary mobile soldier which controls 4 different PA Gears, several hundreds weapons, arms and items. Regain hope to human beings.

●Enriched Offline and Online Mode
                When playing the offline mode, the split-screen will be supported. Also, when playing the online mode, you can co-op with other EDF members around the world.

Interesting that it says:
                1-2 players
                Network Players 2-8

I'm guessing that's split-screen for 2 players, but will online co-op be 8 player, or 4 Vs 4 multiplayer?

Comment

I mean, after the eons that passed for EDF5, I take my hat off to them for not messing around with this one. Two weeks before Days Gone means I may wait it out a month but I'm glad it's not a 2021 release

Comment

There are other games?

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain Introduces a Competitive Multiplayer Mode

"Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain will have a competitive multiplayer mode -- a first for the series. It's been said numerous times now that the upcoming title is a lot more "Western focused", so adding such a component is perhaps a further attempt at appealing to players outside of Japan.

The multiplayer mode itself is apparently dubbed 'Mercenary'. It sees two teams of four battle it out over 'energy gems', all while fighting off both opposing players and, of course, giant insects and the like. It sounds pretty standard we suppose, but it could add yet more dumb fun to Iron Rain's package."

Comment

Looks like it is download only so I'll give it a miss, only fifty levels sounds a bit weak unless they are top notch.

I'm still trying to get past Hardest and Inferno on EDF5 which will take me by the time they release EDF6.
                      Last edited by Anpanman; 13-02-2019, 09:19.

Comment

No physical release? Looks like I don't have to worry about the fact I haven't played a games in absolutely weeks.

Ah'm oot. (At least until it's much cheaper)

Comment

Yep, £50 digital = out

I guess it's back to hoping they have PC ports of this and 5 on the horizon

Comment

PS4 Exclusive Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain Gets Tons of New Screenshots and New Online Mode

"Today D3 Publisher released a new large batch of screenshots showcasing the upcoming action shooter Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain.

We get to see the “ultramassive organism” Razneed and it’s indeed a big one. He’s 300 meters tall and one kilometer long including the tail. It looks like a beast at first sight, with claws and fangs. Its skin has the consistency of a rock, and it stands on six legs.

The Razneed is believed to be the Aggressor’s final weapon to progress the stalling invasion of Earth. It’s completely impervious to the EDF’s attacks, so it’s not known how the players can defeat it.

The screenshots also showcase the mysterious “pillars” that have appeared all over the world. While they don’t attack on their own initiative and they’re basically invulnerable. They can strike down missiles with powerful lasers, and thwart ballistic attacks with their shields.

While their nature is unknown, they can release a powerful heat wave in retaliation when attacked and they contain massive energy sources. Many giant Aggressor creatures are found around the pillars, seeking that energy.

Following, we see the Scourge Beast, which is an evolved form of the bipedal Scourge. They’re four-legged and they showcase greater mobility and no blind sides. They can snipe enemies from afar and jump high above the surface. It’s believed that the Aggressor hid this evolution until humanity proved able to defeat the Scourge reducing their effectiveness, for reason unknown.

The Green Bomb Beetles are a subspecies of the Bomb Beetles. Their shell is extremely durable and can reflect light, halving the damage received by optical weapons. They can ignite the gas they breathe creating powerful green flames. Their shells are highly valuable on the black market.

Last, but certainly not least, we see the reveal of the online “Mercenaries” mode. It’s a competitive mode coming in addition to co-op gameplay and pitching EDF forces against the Kindred rebellion, with four players per team.

The teams have to compete in collecting the energy gems dropped by killed Aggressors and delivering them to a recovery drone. Each match is divided into waves, and the team that gathers more energy gems wins each wave. Winning three waves ensures victory for the whole match.

You can check out the screenshots below. If you want to see more, you can also enjoy a previous batch and the latest trailer.

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain will be released in Japan and in the west on April 11, 2019, exclusively for PS4."

56k modem warning!

Comment

That’s looks great.

The big beastie looks like a kaiju from Pacific Rim.

Comment

"A preview event for the media and an interview article on Okajima P (D3P) have been released on PS4 "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE: IRON RAIN" (released April 11) domestically produced completely new game of Yukes Development Co., Ltd.

As mentioned by Okajima P in the article, the latest work "EDF: IR" is not a sequel to the North American development "Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon" released in 2011. (I said it twice because it is important)

· There were hot EDF members in the US too!

・メディアイベントで体験した『EDF:IR』インプレッション―洋画的迫力で描かれる巨大昆 虫との戦い!
                                アメリカ・サンフランシスコにて、『EARTH DEFENSE FORCE: IRON RAIN』のメディア向けプレビューイベントが開催されました。本稿では4月11日の発売に先駆けて、いち早く『EDF: IR』を体験したインプレッションをスクリーンショットと共にお届けします。

・『EDF:IR』岡島プロデューサーにインタビュー!目指したのは世界中のゲーマーの心を掴 む『EDF』
                                アメリカ・サンフランシスコで開催された『EARTH DEFENSE FORCE: IRON RAINメディア向けプレビューイベントの様子と、ディースリー・パブリッシャーのプロデューサー岡島信幸氏に行ったインタビューをお届けします。

・Exclusive Gameplay, Exhaustive Breakdown of Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain

・Earth Defense Force Producer Nobuyuki Okajima Talks Iron Rain

・Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain 10 Reasons Why This Spinoff Could Be What The Series Needs

・Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain Preview – Fun Mayhem for Series Newcomers and Veterans
                                Noisy Pixel previews Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain developed by Yuke's and published by D3 Publisher, coming to the PlayStation 4 in 2019.

- Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain Hands-On Campaign Impressions
                                https://wccftech.com/earth-defense-force-iron-rain-hands-on/amp/"

Comment

Working...
                                X