GCD2: Games Chart Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Incredible figures for the Switch. 16 million more and it will have topped the Wii.
    Switch has absolutely been a sneaky sneaky dark horse this gen, no one predicted or could have this kind of success.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Switch has absolutely been a sneaky sneaky dark horse this gen, no one predicted or could have this kind of success.
      The switch has a good range of indie stuff some amazing first party franchises and its kind of filled the Nintendo 3DS gap with the switch lite, 84 million of them though not bad for a slightly tweeked NVIDIA shield tablet

Comment

Remember in the dog days of the WiiU when people said they were gonna be the next SEGA

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Remember in the dog days of the WiiU when people said they were gonna be the next SEGA
          They tend to do ok as they never sell things at a loss, unlike Microsoft who have admitted that the Xbox as a console is always sold at a loss its crazy to think how much it must of cost them in the 360 days as they where the dominant console that generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
            They tend to do ok as they never sell things at a loss, unlike Microsoft who have admitted that the Xbox as a console is always sold at a loss its crazy to think how much it must of cost them in the 360 days as they where the dominant console that generation.
            PS3 still out sold the 360 in the end.
            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 07-05-2021, 09:42.

Comment

Looking back though at least the pessimism about Switch was well placed and understandable. After the WiiU the idea of essentially re-issuing the same console at near £300 but you can go further from home and it plays largely the same games would understandably be a hard pill to swallow. Hell, it still begs belief to an extent and I'm still pessimistic Nintendo will maintain the same momentum next time without a prior machine to cannibalise.

The PS3 overtaking the 360 always felt like the gaming comeback of all time. To an extent it was a symptom of Xbox's limited appeal in most countries but also of MS's mistake of getting complacement like Nintendo had with the Wii and losing focus on the platforms core audience and foundations in pursuit of casual disengaged buyers. There's probably still some Execs at MS with whiplash symptoms from the hard crack to reality the XBO reveal gave them.

Comment

It's staggering that the ps3 out sold the 360 in the end. It had a years head start, and was cheaper. Somewhere there must be an article going in to detail about where it went wrong for MS.

Comment

The thing is though, it isn’t the same console. It’s a radically redesigned version, designed by people who were able to intuit what would capture buyers’ imagination. It’s like how the iPod was essentially a more expensive, less capacious version of an iRiver or Creative music player - but it was much easier to use, and its benefits versus a Discman were easier to understand.

I do see where you’re coming from and why it was doubted, but I don’t think just how smart the Switch is in terms of design should be diminished.

Comment

I don't know, mostly the same staff will have worked on both and if someone in the meeting asked about making the WiiU slimmer and it had a bigger range than a few feet it's most of the way there.

There's definitely some magic sauce of some sort involved. I can imagine the Switch absorbing X amount of the handheld side of the business explains some of the success as well as the massively improved marketing too. The carry over of successful audience building with the mobile Pokemon and Animal Crossing games has clearly helped too but the systems popularity exceeds even those now so hats off to them for that.

It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo moves forward with its hardware designing. WiiU was many things but one was a reflection of Nintendo's obsession with innovating and sometimes you're innovating for innovations sake. The WiiU was a solid idea but hugely underdeveloped and delivered at a time when audiences likely just wanted a more powerful and accurate Wii 2. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo can resist rocking the boat and instead just do a refined, generational jump Switch 2 and maintain the same momentum its rivals do across gens.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                      It's staggering that the ps3 out sold the 360 in the end. It had a years head start, and was cheaper. Somewhere there must be an article going in to detail about where it went wrong for MS.
                      If Microsoft had managed to capture the Asian markets then maybe they would have ended up well infront, but having a territory completely ignore your console must of hit their numbers hard, that it ended up 84 vs 87 Million shows that for most territory's the 360 was the dominant system.

For me it certainly felt like the 360 was the more dominant console in the UK and it was if you look at the numbers certainly in the west the xbox felt like the more rounded and interesting console, exciting exclusives and xbox live arcade where fantastic for the feeling of community on the system.

PS3 ---------------------------------- Xbox 360
                      United Kingdom 5.5 million------8.4 million
                      United States 22.9 million------38.8 million

it was the drop off and courting of the casual market that harmed them a focus on Tv/Kinect and a massive lack of decent exclusives lost them last gen. Its only now that they are really pushing the gaming angle and bringing new and exciting services like game pass and picking back up decent exclusives dose it feel like its worth taking notice again.
                      Last edited by Lebowski; 10-05-2021, 10:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        I don't know, mostly the same staff will have worked on both and if someone in the meeting asked about making the WiiU slimmer and it had a bigger range than a few feet it's most of the way there.

There's definitely some magic sauce of some sort involved. I can imagine the Switch absorbing X amount of the handheld side of the business explains some of the success as well as the massively improved marketing too. The carry over of successful audience building with the mobile Pokemon and Animal Crossing games has clearly helped too but the systems popularity exceeds even those now so hats off to them for that.

It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo moves forward with its hardware designing. WiiU was many things but one was a reflection of Nintendo's obsession with innovating and sometimes you're innovating for innovations sake. The WiiU was a solid idea but hugely underdeveloped and delivered at a time when audiences likely just wanted a more powerful and accurate Wii 2. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo can resist rocking the boat and instead just do a refined, generational jump Switch 2 and maintain the same momentum its rivals do across gens.
                        No magic sauce I don’t think - just a clever design, communicated clearly.

I’d actually argue that audiences didn’t just want a more powerful Wii 2, since that’s pretty much what the WiiU was. I think the Wii was a one-shot, I don’t think motion controls had much currency after the big late 2000s craze for them (hence Kinect on the Bone being about as popular as a fart in a lift).

I agree that the next Nintendo machine should be a straightforward Switch 2 with full backwards compatibility, though. I think the central idea of the Switch has much more longevity than waggle controls. And I reckon it’s what we’ll see, too.

Comment

The PS3 overtaking the 360 always felt like the gaming comeback of all time. To an extent it was a symptom of Xbox's limited appeal in most countries but also of MS's mistake of getting complacement like Nintendo had with the Wii and losing focus on the platforms core audience and foundations in pursuit of casual disengaged buyers. There's probably still some Execs at MS with whiplash symptoms from the hard crack to reality the XBO reveal gave them.
                          Like you, I've always found the PS3 eventually, overtaking the 360 staggering.

The 360 had so much good will, fantastic games, the best online Console network and some great exclusives. But like us all, it was odd when after a certain point, the exclusive games dried up. It was embarassing in the end, but most multi-format exclusives were best on 360 so that kept the machine ticking over.

My personal take is most 360 owners eventually got bored and either sold up or purchased a PS3 when the Slim came out as it then built up a nice list of exclusives and the Blu-Ray compatibility was a sweet bonus. Looking back, it felt like Microsoft were focused on XB1 and didn't want Developers anymore as they were going TV and online exclusive (Remember how much TV viewing was a big bullet point for XB1 back then?) for content.

Still feel Microsoft havn't recovered in the eyes of the public and hardcore.

Comment

I always wondered how many replacements MS counted towards sales figures with the 360, the failure rate was absolutely staggering.

Comment

Apparently Resident Evil: VIIIage sold 49% of its UK physical copies on PS5 and 31% on PS4 with Xbox platforms making up 20% making an interesting stat. Sales however are down 25% on Resident Evil 2 Remake and 40% on Resident Evil 7. It's 76% higher than Resident Evil 3 Remake however.

New Pokemon Snap apparently fell in sales by 63% and Returnal dropped hard with an 84% freefall in sales.

Comment

Apparently Resident Evil: VIIIage sold 49% of its UK physical copies on PS5 and 31% on PS4 with Xbox platforms making up 20% making an interesting stat.
                                Gamepass ostensibly having an effect on game sales. I know it’s not on there, but as an Xbox owner, why would you go out and buy a game when you can simply play other games available through the monthly subscription?
                                Last edited by samanosuke; 11-05-2021, 11:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X