No announcement yet.

GCD2: Games Chart Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data tracker GfK revealed that the six new games in the entire Top 40 this week sold fewer units than the single new release that arrived in the charts this time last year, which was Mass Effect Andromeda.
    Dire week for UK retail charts, the shift to digital is taking its toll.

Comment

One website has claimed GTA V is the most profitable entertainment product of all time: Gameindustry.biz link

Number of threads on 'Era, but this I thought was one of the most interesting: https://www.resetera.com/threads/gra...ll-time.34912/

One thing that isn't clear to me is whether the $6bn revenue projection includes income from MTX. Given that some believe/reported GTAV has been doing c.$1bn annually in microtransactions this would add somewhere between another $4-7bn towards total revenue. Also a few figures suggesting that games like WoW and Streetfighter 2 have also gone into the double-$billions in terms of revenue.

Again worth remembering that the CEO of Rockstar thinks that this game is 'under monetized'.

Comment

I really do love GTAV but I do have growing concerns about what it's done to Rockstar/Take Two

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          I really do love GTAV but I do have growing concerns about what it's done to Rockstar/Take Two
          Made them REALLY rich?

Comment

Does anyone here play GTAV online?

Comment

It's added a lot to their coffers but I'd be interested to know by how much they're actually better off when they have to factor in that for Rockstar their production output has slowed down dramatically. We're ten years on from RDR and 5 from GTAV and we're equally five into the current generation before they even get their first title out the door with RDR2.

I'm not even sure they have a plan for what would happen if the market reacted poorly to RDR2 or the eventual GTA6, could they react in time with such a slow pipeline now? GTAV's level of success is unprecedented, also somewhat aided by circumstances and timing. It's dangerous for any studio or publisher to assume continued mega-success especially if they suggest their eyes are focusing more and more on the online portion like RDR2 suggests. Having a similar set up for GTA6 is fine but like Mgear quoted, the idea that GTA5 is under monitized is concerning.

I think the figure they gave out the other month was $6bn made which is epic. Though for Take-Two that has likely had to also offset half a decade with no major earnings from the continually current gen absent Borderlands series, Bioshock series, Evolve's failure, the downfall of the Mafia series and the running of 2K Marin (no released games in 5 years), Ghost Story/Irrational (Reorganised and no released games in 5 years) and the apparently continued troubles of Agent.

It's much more complicated than that as they have their whole sports arm that seems to do well for them but increasingly their various outfits are being tied together to support single massive projects like RDR2 and presumably currently GTA6. Funding all this for all these years must soften the success GTA5 has had and leave them somewhat susceptible if something like GTA6 failed.

Comment

Again just to reiterate I don't believe that $6bn figure includes microtransaction revenue. So in essence GTA V has probably done revenue of c$10-13bn once revenue from MTXs are added.

Although it would be interesting to know costs and revenue from Rockstar pre-GTAV, my guess is that the money they receive from MTXs are easily more revenue than had they done DLC or more games, more often.

Comment

Definitely, I don't know how out of date the figures are for just GTA4 alone but the most recent ones I can find from 5 years post-launch put it at 23m units sold and Rockstar always seemed to suggest they weren't pleased by the profits made by the Episodes. GTAV by any measure has blown Take Twos past records out the water, it'll just be interesting to see if they honestly feel each GTA here onwards and RDR will accomplish the same to offset the other baggage they have unless they get those ip's and studios also outputting more.

Comment

Today, Nintendo announced its full 2017 fiscal year earnings results. We’ll be rounding up all of the important pieces of information below. Net Sales: (FYTD) ¥1,055,682 million (~$ billion), 115.8% increase YoY Operating Income: (FYTD) ¥177,557 million (~$ billion), 504.7% increase YoY Profit: (FYTD) ¥139,590 million (~$ billion), 36.1% increase YoY Nintendo Switch Hardware: 2.92 million for the quarter/ 15.05...

Nintendo's end of financial years are out and it paints quite a picture of how much 12 months can change things.

Playstation 4 - 75.6m units
                    Xbox One - Est. 36m units
                    Nintendo Switch - 17.79m units

We'll never know for sure but it's looking increasingly likely that Switch's global sales could surpass XBO's within the next two years if Nintendo is able to maintain its building momentum. Within the next twelve months the system is projected to sell through another 20m units which would see if surpass the lifetime sales of the Gamecube, Xbox, Mega Drive and N64

Super Mario Odyssey has sold 10.41m units

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold 9.22m units, outselling the original WiiU release

Zelda: Breath of the Wild has sold 8.48m units, no mention of if that's inclusive of the WiiU sales

Splatoon 2 has sold 6.02m units, outselling the original game

Other notable titles include ARMS (1.85m), Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (1.31m) and Kirby: Star Allies (1.26m)

Comment

Good numbers for ARMS. Totally deserving. Hopefully we see further support/expansions down the line and a follow-up later.

Comment

The Investor Relations website contains information about Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.'s business for stockholders, potential investors, and financial analysts.

Lifetime sales for Grand Theft Auto V have now reached 95 million

Comment

This site is for both institutional and individual investors to watch corporate information session or briefing session. Among the electricity used to power this site annually is 15,000kWh generated through natural energies such as wind power, solar power and hydro power.

Sales of God of War have already exceeded 5m units

Comment

Bungie moves to reassure Destiny fans after securing $100m for new game, "Our commitment to that world is not diminished by this announcement."

News that has quietly slipped out this morning.

Very interesting and I'd be surprised if this doesn't impact their Activision dealings in some way. Seems appropriate to quote David Brevik on the recent GGG Buyout news; 'there can't not be changes'.

Is it Bungie hedging bets, expanding or preparing to sell the Destiny license to Activision. Who knows.

I've said before but that Activision contract holds them back creatively, even if it's been a financial windfall for both parties so far. I wish Bungie were financially independent to self publish, or a first party again.

Comment

I can't remember how many years into that contract they're in, I remember it being a ten year deal so maybe they're trying to line things up for post-Destiny 3. Wonder if they're all considering D3 to be the end?

Comment

The original contract was 10-years in length with 5 main games every 2 years and expansions to those in the other years: http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Bungie...ision_Contract. We don't know the impact of the year delay on D2 and whether penalties were incurred (as per rumours) or whether the original contract has been superceded or revised.

As noted, this may simply be expansion or a combination of things, but intriguing news nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                                X